• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Review: Christian Drouin "Le Gin"

Le_Gin_Christian_Droulin.jpg

Full disclosure: after an unfortunate incident back in the Seabees nearly forty years ago involving Tanqueray and Mad Dog 20/20, I am NOT a gin drinker. To this day! Juniper berries make me . . . queasy. :confused:

But I've come to appreciate Hendrick's, and when there was one last slot still open on the Christmas Scotch Buy, my curiosity about this particular libation overcame my hesitation---it's from Normandy, where my family has a history, albeit an 800 year old one, and by a famous Calvados distiller, and has Normandy herbs and botanicals and apples in its recipe. There's some juniper in there too, but it's toned down and not overt.

Can't tell you what it tastes like straight, because gods, I'm not Winston Churchill. But I've been sipping Le Gin and tonics (with Fever Tree's Naturally Light tonic and lime slices) all evening and they are just as refreshing as could be . . . and yes, there really is a hint of apple in this gin. Subtle but there. Very enjoyable, and I may be trying it in a few dry martinis or Salty Dogs before the holidays are over.

~Boar

Nice review. I love gin and drink it up like I drink everything else so I am intrigued by the apple flavor. I imagine it makes it especially good during the dog days of summer when the gin and tonic is king. Is this available in the states?

I really like Gin and Tonic. I'm a rebel, and use both Lemon and Lime.
Been looking for something different to try. This is intriguing.

I really like Gin and Tonic. I'm a rebel, and use both Lemon and Lime.
Been looking for something different to try. This is intriguing.

It really is very good. Burns clean, too . . . I had the neck and shoulders off the bottle last night and I'm just fine today. ;)

~Boar

Also . . . I just mixed up a Bloody Mary with it, and you can really taste the apples in it. The tomato flavor must bring them to the foreground more than the tonic did. Superb.

~Boar

Damn, wish I'd have thought of that. I stuck with a mimosa or two this morning.

Good gin is what makes a Gin and Tonic. But I was raised to drink them in the late Spring.

Then again, consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds. ;)

Nice review. I love gin and drink it up like I drink everything else so I am intrigued by the apple flavor. I imagine it makes it especially good during the dog days of summer when the gin and tonic is king. Is this available in the states?
Better late than never. No, it is not available in the states, very rarely do I offer things you can buy here unless there is a 25% discount or so.

I thought of you the other day as I finished up a bottle of Spirit of Unity I got in one of your buys.