• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Rocky Patel 1961 Toro

Kingantz

Growing too fast.
It’s a right beautiful morning, temps mid 70F with a soft breeze, however the humidity is high at 87%. I’m putting fire to the Rocky Patel 1961 Toro this morning, received from Israel this past week (thank you sir). I really like the double bands on the cigar, the top a tobacco plant showing from leaf to root with 1961 in the center, and a smaller dark red band on the bottom with Rocky’s insignia. From what I’ve read, the dark brown, very oily wrapper is Honduran, is very smooth with a couple of small veins, and the binder/filler blend is Nicaraguan. The cigar feels very firm when squeezed, has a solid weight in the hand, and after punching the well constructed triple cap, I find a perfect draw with a strong, sweet taste of delicious tobacco.

The foot lights very easily, a white ash forming with the burn starting out perfect. I take a couple puffs and then a long draw revealing a good medium to almost full strength smoke with a medium white pepper spice on the back of the tongue and throat. It’s rather light with a slight oiliness on the palate, and flavors incredibly rich right from the start. Strong black coffee, worn leather, earth, and dark roasted nuts come through with a really good twang in the delicious, lasting finish.

Getting further in, the burn is a bit uneven in places, but not so much that any touching up is required. A light gray ash is forming that is slightly flaky, but holds strong until tapped off in the ashtray. The smoke continues to be a medium to full strength, flowing well through the perfect draw, and flavors are consistently rich with that delicious twang that I really love in a cigar. I exhale slowly through the mouth and nose, savoring the smoke that has a very lasting finish on the palate.

Heading into the final third, the burn continues to be somewhat off, however correcting itself well with the light gray ash a bit flaky. The smoke is definitely a full strength and continues to flow effortlessly through the perfect draw with a fairly strong white pepper spice on the back of the throat. I can’t say enough about the bold richness coming through in the smoke, flavors becoming stronger as I get closer to the end, seemingly complex to my palate. It does get a bit hot towards the end, and I have to take very easy, short draws, however still a fantastic smoke with the finish lasting. With a bit of coaxing, the double-bands slide off easily enough.

I enjoy a number of Rocky’s cigars such as Old World Reserve, 90’s series, and Sun Grown to name a few, however this 1961 seems to surpass them all IMO. There’s a richness in this cigar that is undeniably above the rest with a lasting finish that just would not quit. Thank you very much Israel for allowing me to sample this excellent cigar!

10-10-09RP1961001.jpg

10-10-09RP1961002.jpg

DSC01886.jpg

10-10-09RP1961003.jpg

10-10-09RP1961004.jpg

DSC01916.jpg

I enjoy a number of Rocky’s cigars such as Old World Reserve, 90’s series, and Sun Grown to name a few, however this 1961 seems to surpass them all IMO. There’s a richness in this cigar that is undeniably above the rest with a lasting finish that just would not quit.

Hmmm...I may have to smoke this one out on my fire escape for this one. Thanks for the heads up, Greg.

Great review and pictures Greg! I'm not too much of a RP fan anymore, but I'm still game to give these a try. Hopefully Bo gets them in so I can snag a few. Which of the Rocky line would you say it is similar to, if any?

Great review and pictures Greg! I'm not too much of a RP fan anymore, but I'm still game to give these a try. Hopefully Bo gets them in so I can snag a few. Which of the Rocky line would you say it is similar to, if any?

To be honest, like yourself I don't smoke that many any more, however I don't believe this was like any other RP I've smoked.

Hmm, I'd love to track one of these down to see how it tastes. I'm sure at some point, when Rocky pumps out a second batch of these, their blend will be changed, boxes will look different, and when you push the button on the side of the cigar band it will play "My Little Buttercup" by the Three Amigos...

:( Oh Rocky, can't you just stop changing the blends of your lines on the subsequent releases, and stop worrying about pumping out thousands of different lines. :(

Looks good Greg!! Love to try one of these. Like you I love some RP's (OWR, Edge) but thise one realy looks full and tasty!! Nice review!!

Great review as usual. I'm looking forward to the day I get to try one of these. Hopefully my B&M gets them in sometime.

Glad you enjoyed it Greg...I also thought this cigar was far different than anything else Rocky has put out in the past. And Los...this IS a fire escape cigar.

Nice review Greg!

I like some of Rocky's cigars and would love to try this one!

(but I think that will be not to long) :whistling:

Rene