• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Romeo Y Julieta Duke EL 2009

Kingantz

Growing too fast.
What a beautiful day; started out a little on the cool side, however warmed up nicely this afternoon. There’s a bit of a breeze blowing, which is fine while sitting in the warm sunlight. I brought out an RYJ Duke EL 2009 to smoke while relaxing, popped the top on a Victory Hop Wallop to get my hops fix as well. The cigar has a Rosado shade wrapper that looks somewhat dry with a prominent patchwork vein working its way from top to bottom. It has a good weight in the hand, is firm when squeezed with a nice crunch sound in the ear, and after punching the head I find the draw with a bit more resistance than I like, but still more than enough air coming through with taste of slightly sweet, straightforward tobacco.

With the foot lit, I take a few good puffs to get the smoke flowing, and then a long, slow draw. There’s a small amount of spice on the back of the throat with the smoke slightly on the mild side, which I find a bit unusual for an RYJ. It does have quite a full body, thick feeling on the palate. Flavors are really good with a good bit of floral notes along with woodiness and slightly grassy.

The burn is sharp through the first third with a medium gray ash forming that is loose as it falls on its on about three quarters of an inch in. Mild to almost medium strength smoke is flowing well enough through the draw with the spice still minimal, yet the body is very full on the palate. Flavors continue to be typical RYJ profile with floral notes most prominent.

Halfway and into the final third, I decide to go ahead and clip a bit off the head, which really opens the draw up rather nicely. With an abundance of smoke now flowing through, the strength picks up to a good solid medium with now a very nice spice on the back of the throat. Flavors are rich and complex, delicious on the palate with the finish lasting long after exhaling.

The cigar started out a bit on the mild side, which again I find slightly unusual for an RYJ; however after clipping the head and opening up the draw, this cigar really came into its own. With sharp burn, perfect draw, rich flavors and lasting finish, it was definitely a treat on an absolutely gorgeous Saturday afternoon. Fantastic smoke!

02-26-11RYJDuke003.jpg

02-26-11RYJDuke001.jpg

02-26-11RYJDuke002.jpg

Greg, thanks for the review! The last time I went to JJ Fox in London they talked me into getting one of these singles... I still haven't set fire to it yet.

Nice review, Greg. I think this is a good cigar. One of the better EL's to come out in the last few years.

@mjol - they have quite a few cigars at JJ Fox that I would prefer over this one. :)