• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Rough Week

MNBrian

Hey Guys,

My father is one of the most gregarious guys I know. He's a lot like me. Always optimistic, always making people laugh, and in times of crisis, he is a rock. This last Tuesday, my father attempted to take his own life with a gun.

He is in critical condition in the hospital, and by some miracle, despite losing half the blood in his body in a horrifying way, he is going to recover to something resembling his whole self.

Although the physical diagnosis is good, his mental and spiritual health is obviously and likely in very bad shape. And me, I don't even know how to process any of this. Might as well have told me Mr. Rodgers tried to take his own life, because it's just so absolutely insane.

As if that wasn't enough, we also found out the day after he did this, that my wife is pregnant with her first. Just 4 weeks along so I can't really share it with anyone yet. So family and friends don't know and I'm just all over the place emotionally.

Anyways. I haven't been around as much lately due to work being crazy, and this added to everything else is just horrifying. So much positive and negative news, I just feel like a bipolar mess.

I've got friends, a pastor, a family to share this burden with, but it just feels good to get a little off my chest with you guys too. Y'all are like family to me too. Hoping I can carve out some time for a cigar in the next week. Please keep me in your thoughts and prayers as I work through all this with my family. Right now I appreciate the distraction of this place as I start to find something resembling moments of normalcy. The fantasy football cigar league, for instance, is just going to be a nice way to keep my mind off things.

That's all for now. I'll try to update here as I get more news. I really do appreciate all of you around here. This is just a wonderful community. Thanks for lending an ear.

Brian

Very sorry to hear this, I'm happy you can use us as a sounding board, I will keep you and your father in my thoughts and prayers.

Oh Brian, that's just horrible. I think about your absence here from time to time. I can't imagine what you must be going through. Congratulations on the good news, it must be so conflicting under the circumstances. My thoughts are with you and your family.

Damn brother, that is a hell of a lot to process... but you are right, we are family here, and we are praying for you to get through this.

That's absolutely terrible, Brian. I will be keeping your entire family in my thoughts. Just be there for him -- he needs someone right now and will absolutely need to know it going forward from here on out. I'm so sorry to hear.

It's funny how life works like this, though. We found out we were pregnant in the midst of the worst moments of our lives, as well. Maybe this news will be just what your father needs to hear, when he is ready to hear it. Hang in there, and you've always got people here to talk to if you need.

My thoughts and prayers are with you and yours. Amongst all of the turmoils life has just thrown at you; you need to be sure you're keeping your head on straight! Go have smoke with a good book, it always helps me.

I am so sorry to hear this. Prayers and positive thoughts are heading your way.

My wife has a saying. "If He brings you to it, He will lead you through it."

Don't lose faith, and stay strong. We are here for you.

Man I'm sorry to hear this, my thoughts and prayers go out to him and your family.

Really sorry to hear the news but I'm glad he survived and you're able to get some more time with him. I have absolutely no idea how hard this could be on you and your family but I'm hoping for the best.

Sorry to hear Brian! Honestly, I don't know what to say as I can't even imagine what you're going through. I used to think suicide was a selfish act, but I now realize the despair people feel these days, and how they can lose their will to live. Hope your dad sees he has lots to live for, a grand baby among many of the reasons.

Last edited:
So sorry to hear this, Brian. Stay strong, its so hard to even find the right words. Know we're all here for you for whatever we can do.

This is rough just to read, I can't imagine living it. I'm not sure what's best to say in this situation but best of wishes to you and your family. Congratulations on the bun in the oven as well.

Hang in there, brother. Make sure to give yourself time to feel whatever you want to feel. Let some people take care of you, too.

I've typed and retyped several responses, but it's hard to find what to say. I hope your dad is able to recover and see all that he has to live for. Life is a struggle and it's hard for us, who see our Dad's as strong examples, to imagine why.

Thoughts and prayers coming your way. Congrats on your boys being able to swim! Exciting news.

Thank you everyone for the kind words. It really means the world to me. I'm hanging in there and will find some time for myself (and hopefully some time to celebrate).

Truly. Appreciate you all greatly. And your messages have put a smile on my face and are really just heartwarming. I'll keep you all up to date.

Wow, that was a punch to the gut and I'm just reading it while you're living it. Your family is definitely in my thoughts. Please use this community as much as you need. We're all here to support one another. I hope your dad gets some intensive therapy, he will need it. Whatever darkness he is going through, he's been blessed with a second chance. Hopefully he grasps that. Please keep us up to date. You guys are in my thoughts!

Praying for you B. I can't imagine what you and your family is going through. In times of disarray, sometimes the only thing that gives me hope is that God is sovereign and that we may not know His plan. I'm not trying to get behind a pulpit, just know that if you need prayers, you got it. If you need someone to vent to, you got it.