• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Sancho Panza Gigantes Seleccion Orchant 1998/99

Kingantz

Growing too fast.
I was looking forward to watching the sun come up this morning, however a thick fog was in the air so unfortunately missed out. It took me a little time choosing a cigar to smoke this morning. Since I was up so early, there was plenty of time for a larger smoke so decided on a SP Gigantes. From a website, “These cigars were carefully selected at Hunters and Frankau as the finest examples of brand, vitola and vintage.” The selecting was done by Mitchell Orchant, hence Seleccion Orchant on the second band.

This well constructed cigar looks to be in pristine condition and very well taken care of with the dark, Colorado wrapper still having a good amount of oil. There are a few, small veins in the leaf, and weighing the cigar in the hand it feels a bit light. Bunching in the foot is good though with a sweet tobacco smell as I take a sniff. The cigar has a good crunch sound as I squeeze it along the length and with the triple cap punched, I find a perfect draw with a good tobacco taste with what seems to be a hint of vegetable.

Once the foot is lit and burning well, I take a few puffs and find a generous amount of smoke coming through quite effortlessly. After a few draws the cigar starts to settle in, and I’m getting a somewhat mild strength as well as body in the smoke with just a hint of spice on the throat. There isn’t a richness in the smoke, however it is very good with what seems like a vegetal taste, possibly some cinnamon and a hint of wood. The finish is earthy and quite good when exhaling slowly, yet not very lasting.

Through the first third, the burn was sharp with a dark gray, thick layered ash forming that held well until tapped off. A flat coal was left once the ash was off. There was no smoke coming from the cigar as it sat in the ashtray, looking as if it wasn’t even burning, however taking a couple of puffs proved that it was definitely alive. Getting further into the cigar, the body seems somewhat thick on the palate with the smoke still seemingly mild to my palate. Exhaling slowly through the nostrils, I get a nice tingling with the spice picking up a bit.

At the halfway mark, I begin having a little trouble keeping the cigar burning, possibly some tunneling going on. The burn wants to get a bit crazy, however corrects itself quickly. Flavors are quite consistent with the vegetal taste continuing to be predominant, cinnamon spice was there with the wood note becoming more charred. I will say the flavors took on a richness in the final third with the finish becoming quite lasting on the palate, and the smoke remained rather mild, possibly reaching close to a medium at the end.

The final third was definitely the sweet spot of this cigar. Flavors became much more intense and rich with the smoke close to a medium in strength, the spice picking up as well and the finish lasting on the palate. This was definitely not a trick, but treat to smoke! :D I hope everyone has a safe and very Happy Halloween!

10-31-09SPGigSO001.jpg

10-31-09SPGigSO002.jpg

10-31-09SPGigSO003.jpg

I've been doing a lot of traveling to the UK and had a chance to sit down with Mitchell. He is quite the host. Sampled some excellent cigars and rum that was literally the best I've ever had. His expertise in vintage cigars is incredible, clearly one of the best in the world.

I'm sure this was an excellent smoke.