• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

So for Patty's day I bought some Guinness in a can

Wurm

Bratwurst and Beer
Any special thing I'm supposed to do to pour this? Since the local Irish Pub closed (sad sad day that was) I need a Guinness fix.

The ball in the can is the "widget". IIRC it has a small amount of CO2 that when you open the can it gets released into the beer.

You don't need to do anything special when pouring it into a glass. The "widget" is what will give the Guinness the wavy settling up effect that you get when you pour.

Nitrogen.

True. I went to some Guiness event on the USS Intrepid a few years back. Actually about 9 to 10 years ago. They served Guiness all night long and at each dinner table there were these poster boards with facts about the stout. My table said "Guiness is nitrogenous." That's pretty much the only thing I can remember from that night.

The cans still have them but the bottles no longer seem to have the widgets.

IIRC, the ball is nothing but a plastic ball. There's no nitrogen in it, however it's surface and the little hole in it does something to mix the nitrogen in the can, and give you that "waterfall" effect.

Will

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Widget_(beer)

ETA: Yes, Guiness uses Nitrogen in cans, bottles and on tap. That's why it has that smooth creamy mouthfeel. C02 has more bite.

The cans still have them but the bottles no longer seem to have the widgets.

Depends which bottle, Draught or Stout.

guiness_bottle.jpeg
3153559447_4e8b8bbef7.jpg

3/4 Irish I am; but I'ld still take a hoppy IPA over something that taste as smooth as a milkshake. JMHO.

I am not a fan...but wanted to celebrate with one today....went to two large stores and both were sold out....really? Not sure how you can't plan for that.