• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Sticks you miss now that they're gone?

I was thinking about this today---I remembered a cigar that I'd loved, a really strong, full-bodied asskicker, and all I could remember other than how much I'd liked it was that it came in a heavy, fancy white box . . . :rolleyes:

Eventually a couple raggedy neurons managed to strike a few sparks off each other, and I remembered Torano had made it. A few Google Fu "Carry Tiger Over Waterfall" passes at the keyboard, and I had a vitola: Torano Virtuoso. The "Crescendo," a 54 ring torpedo, was the one I liked. Fantastic cigar, at least 12+ years ago.

No longer in stock anywhere, of course, although it still appears on a few websites. :(

That got me thinking of a couple other cigars I used to love that you can't get anymore---the Esencia Corona Gorda, which I used to buy from someone on here, as I recall. (Just don't recall WHO. Swiss cheese up there some days) and the Don Lino Afrika Kifaro, which had the bad manners to just go completely to shit before disappearing entirely. Also the original Padilla Miami corona gorda, which was a nice little espresso bean pepperbox.

What about the rest of y'all? What do you remember fondly that you can't find anymore?

~Boar

Pre Sandinista Joya de Nicaragua (Great cigars which aged really well)

Pepín rolled Padilla Miami 8/11 (Possibly my all time favorite NC)

Pepin rolled Padilla 1932

Pre Cigar Boom Villazon ERdM and Punch (Villazon was bought out during the boom...quality immediately went to crap)

I'll add the OR El Centurion by Pepin also. Regretted never buying more than a couple torpedo and a couple robusto.

If I remember correctly, the Troya brand owner approached Pepin to help save the brand. It worked, for a while. Then the whole Rey de los Habanos partnership went south. Honestly, Pepin's early stuff was legendary.

Never had Llaneza Villazon stuff. But I'm certain it was equally legendary.

It's odd that the good producers rarely maintain that level of excellence that put them above the rest. Some exceptions, but not many. I guess once they start the higher quantity it becomes nearly impossible to keep the quality going.

It's odd that the good producers rarely maintain that level of excellence that put them above the rest. Some exceptions, but not many. I guess once they start the higher quantity it becomes nearly impossible to keep the quality going.
Completely agree. I still have a precious few OR Tatuaje sticks and let me tell you, the new sticks pale in comparison.

Cigars are a handmade product from an agricultural product. To expect consistency from year to year is not appropriate. It's not unlike wine or olive oil, for that matter. Weather, amount of sun, etc. varies. Very few manufactures of cigars are able to put up five years or so of tobacco in order to maintain a blend.

Doc

Rocky Patel used to be the worst for that, but now he just goes ahead and releases the crap version first. :eek:

True story, back when---Rocky was a regular tasting event host at my local B&M. One time he dug a cabinet of pre-release Old World Reserves out of his stash (this was at least six months before they came to market) and offered them up for sale, limit 2. I took my two up to San Antonio and my best friend and I torched them up together.

They were MAGNIFICENT.

Later, when they hit the shelves, I bought some more. Not even remotely close. He'd cut costs on the blend before he even released them! :rolleyes:

~Boar

You ain't just whistling Dixie. I'm tired of his schtick. I even avoid listening or reading about him.
From what I understand, Patel has been known to distribute a fine cigar at industry dinners and replace it with crap when the orders begin to come in. He is a lawyer by trade, you know.

Doc

From what I understand, Patel has been known to distribute a fine cigar at industry dinners and replace it with crap when the orders begin to come in. He is a lawyer by trade, you know.

Doc
My understanding is that the bait and switch goes on a lot in the industry. I used to test blends for a few well heeled cigar vendors. I swear that the initial sticks were always a bitter, nasty, Plascencia Blend. I have smoked that "sample" so many times, from so many vendors who wanted their own lines, it's laughable. They must have a big pile of them waiting on unsuspecting wannabes.

Cigars are a handmade product from an agricultural product. To expect consistency from year to year is not appropriate. It's not unlike wine or olive oil, for that matter. Weather, amount of sun, etc. varies. Very few manufactures of cigars are able to put up five years or so of tobacco in order to maintain a blend.

Doc
Unfortunately, there's more to it than that anymore, Doc. The cigar business has changed considerably. Tobacco that at one time would go into a manufacturer's pedestrian sticks is now going into their 'limited' lines. The tobacco that was going into the 'limited' lines is now in the once a year uber smokes. Everyone is doing it.

I keep seeing this thread and still nothing is coming to mind. I'm trying to get that "ah that's one I miss" moment but so far nadda except the SLR Lonsdale, and in fact that size cigar in general, fewer around.

I'm late to the party and have limited experience but the original El Triunfador Lancero is one that I loved every time I smoked it (6-7 maybe)! Knowing it was a limited release may exclude it from most people's lists but that was my "perfect" cigar!