• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Super Bowl Pool 2019

Just wanted to say I enjoyed the game and look forward to it again next year in whatever form it takes and of course a big thanks to Paul for organizing as well as his faithful companion Bruce.

Now there is another option. You could just run it as a cash pool. $10 a square, 5 square max or 5 square buy in...

I was thinking about this yesterday while I was out for a hike. The original plan for 2018 was two sticks per square, same as previous years if I recall. With shipping, that was about $25 per square, give or take. I know we had trouble filling the squares this year, but in 2017 at least most of the squares filled at that price. If it moves to a cash pool, the barrier to entry won't be there for folks who don't have CC or Opus/Anjeo, so I would think we'd have an easier time filling the squares even at a higher price. If squares were $25 (limit 4 per person) the prizes could be two boxes of CCs for each quarter, along the same value ratio as Josh suggested, just more cigars.

I was thinking about this yesterday while I was out for a hike. The original plan for 2018 was two sticks per square, same as previous years if I recall. With shipping, that was about $25 per square, give or take. I know we had trouble filling the squares this year, but in 2017 at least most of the squares filled at that price. If it moves to a cash pool, the barrier to entry won't be there for folks who don't have CC or Opus/Anjeo, so I would think we'd have an easier time filling the squares even at a higher price. If squares were $25 (limit 4 per person) the prizes could be two boxes of CCs for each quarter, along the same value ratio as Josh suggested, just more cigars.

I think price would be a barrier for some people at that point. There are some on the board who struggle to spend $50-$100 on a sampler, so it’s easier to justify $50 than $100, we don’t all sit at the high rollers table. The original super bowl pool was any 2 Cuban cigar over a PC per square, so it was very easy to find Cuban Cigars that are 7-8 a stick that met this qualification making it about $15-18 a square including shipping, though many of us sent in Cigars that were much more valuable. At $25 a square we put ourself back in the situtation where it may become difficult to fill the pool and we could end up excluding members who would otherwise participate. Not to mention for $100 or a little more I could buy a box of Cuban cigars for myself, where at $50 the prospect of winning a nice box.

I think price would be a barrier for some people at that point. There are some on the board who struggle to spend $50-$100 on a sampler, so it’s easier to justify $50 than $100, we don’t all sit at the high rollers table. The original super bowl pool was any 2 Cuban cigar over a PC per square, so it was very easy to find Cuban Cigars that are 7-8 a stick that met this qualification making it about $15-18 a square including shipping, though many of us sent in Cigars that were much more valuable. At $25 a square we put ourself back in the situtation where it may become difficult to fill the pool and we could end up excluding members who would otherwise participate. Not to mention for $100 or a little more I could buy a box of Cuban cigars for myself, where at $50 the prospect of winning a nice box.

Good points. My math included the assumption that the average CC that would qualify was ~$10, plus $7 shipping; so if you bought two squares as a lot of folks did they were in for $50ish. You bring up a good point that if you buy $100 worth of squares that you're most of the way into a box.

$10 is a good entry point given those considerations. I would suggest that the initial limit be two squares for some period of time to allow more people to participate. At the lower price point, and cash instead of certain cigars, I think a lot more people would be inclined to participate. Since there's no shipping fees with a cash pool, it would be economical for someone who's already in to buy a few more squares later without the additional shipping fee penalty (like we had with the final square this year).

Just weighing in on this as I was considering the new options, I really like the game, it is the only bet I normally place on the SB. IMHO I like the cigar option as I already have a significant number of CC's which qualify and I already have sunk costs in them. Cash is another whole ballgame to me. The cost is not the issue, but as I already have cigars I would prefer to send cigars and it is always fun to see what cigars others send as well. While it would be good to have a box of the same thing, having a variety is just a bit more fun for me.