• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Tatuaje The Face

Kingantz

Growing too fast.
I received this particular cigar from an excellent BOTL on CP, many thanks for sending along with some other smokes that were way over the top. There was some unfortunate damage to the very thin wrapper during shipping, and while I’m sure it’s going to be quite messy, smoke it I will. Again, the dark brown wrapper is very thin and brittle with slight oil and prominent veins. It has a good weight in the hand, firm when squeezed, and after punching the cap I find the draw with a little less resistance than I like, but should work fine.

With the foot lit and burning even, I take several puffs to get the smoke flowing and then a long draw. Strong spice hits the back of the tongue and throat with the smoke itself medium to almost full strength, somewhat thick on the palate. Flavors are strong black coffee with a pronounced earthiness and a semi-lasting finish.

As mentioned, the wrapper had a lot of damage and the cigar basically blew up through most of the cigar. At one point I was smoking mostly binder/filler that still had good flavor, but missing that certain sweetness from the wrapper. The strength continued to be medium to full with a good bit of spice on the back of the tongue and throat; smoke flowed well through the somewhat open draw. Flavors were consistent with the finish still semi-lasting on the palate.

In the final third I finally got to really enjoy what this cigar had to bring, which was a deep, dark richness that was delicious on the palate with the finish starting to last more and more. The burn was sharp with a medium gray ash forming that held well, and the smoke became more towards full strength; spice remaining fairly strong. Even though there were wrapper issues, I still enjoyed this smoke quite a bit. Fortunately I was able to pick up a handful more and look forward to trying another soon.

Happy Halloween everyone!

10-31-10TatuajeTheFace001.jpg

10-31-10TatuajeTheFace002.jpg

Wasn't expecting those pictures in your review. :p

Do you know if this was the dress-box or non-dress-box?

Smoking one of these now and really enjoying it. Thick smoke, good strength, earthy flavor with just a hint of sweetness. Not a fan of sweetness from the wrappers, but this is real light.draw tightened up a bit more than I like, but flavor is still good.

I think this would be incredible at a smaller ring gauge.

Only about half way into it, so I'll update if the flavor goes south.

John

I smoked one yesterday which came from a undressed box that I bought and had the same experience with the wrapper but not that bad. I did enjoy the cigar though.

Had one yesterday, too. Same great taste experience - only my wrapper unraveled from the head vs. the foot. - which was a little easier to navigate vs. the pics from Kingantz but had to put it down earlier than I would have liked. Still - great smoke and hoping to get some more.

John

Smoking mine right now and have the same draw scenario. Not bad but tighter then i like.

I am only getting chocolate and coffee profiles and not much spice at all. Great smoke but different from most tats.

I just finished one while giving out candy to the kids. No issues with the wrapper and it burned beautifully. I really didn't enjoy it until the last third.

Thanks for the review Greg.

Ken

I smoked one on Saturday. The burn, draw , and overall construction were flawless. Unfortunately it was a real dud in the flavor department. I definitely thought Illusione's Halloween offering was much better.

I smoked one on Saturday. The burn, draw , and overall construction were flawless. Unfortunately it was a real dud in the flavor department. I definitely thought Illusione's Halloween offering was much better.

Illusione had a Halloween offering? Thanks for the review! :thumbs:

Illusione had a Halloween offering?

That's what I was thinking. He must have meant Viaje.

The wrappers are brittle and unravel, the draw is too tight, they are 2/3 no good, the ring gauge is too big, but all around they are a great smoke? Did you taste subtle hints of Kool-Aid too?

Nice review! Enjoy readying all of them.

I might be the only one that thought this cigar was let down. Just not a whole lot to it imo.

It's a shame to hear such mixed reviews, especially with wrapper issues (a pet peeve of mine for sure!). I was excited to try one since the only tat's I've REALLY enjoy to date have been his smaller batch stuff that people describe as (saw it on this thread too) "not really like a tat." That said, if 2/3rd's no good, it's giving issues, and others are saying it doesn't live up... I'm sure as heck not gunna waste my time hunting one down to try! Shame... I was kinda looking forward to this one.
Chris

I smoked one on Saturday. The burn, draw , and overall construction were flawless. Unfortunately it was a real dud in the flavor department...
I had the same experience (and I prefer a looser draw). Based on the reviews I've read, it seems like there are some inconsistencies with these sticks. Hopefully with some age the flavors will come out a bit more.

Illusione had a Halloween offering?

That's what I was thinking. He must have meant Viaje.
The Phantom? ???

*btw...I agree completely with Monty.

+3

The Face I didn't have a very good taste. Almost a cigar that had ever been humidified. Illusione's recent releases have been awesome. Wish they got more justice.

I smoked one on last Saturday, out on the golf course...brrrr!

No wrapper or draw issues.

It was very nice, although it was somewhat one dimensional....consistent but the same through-out.

Illusione had a Halloween offering? Thanks for the review! :thumbs:

I assumed the Phantom was a Halloween thing...is it a regular release?