• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Texas BBQ

Satchmo

Why do they call it a Power Ranger???
In the midst of a quick trip to Austin, I decided to make the best of a busy week by treating myself to some Texas BBQ. I have never tried any, so I headed down to Lockhart and stopped at Kruez's Market. OMG was that a great experience.

Kruetz's was this huge building off the highway that just dripped that deep, dark smokey smell as you walked in the place. You order your meat by the pound, and they pull it right from the pit as you order. I had brisket, prime rib, pork short ribs, and some sausage (and a Pearl to wash it down). That was the best BBQ experience I have had to date (and my fat arse has eaten plenty of BBQ).

For dessert, I decide since it would be a looooong time since I was back in Austin I would try some Black's BBQ for dessert. I just grabbed a couple of baby backs and a slice of brisket. This was a very unique flavor, and while not by favorite, a very good BBQ experience.

Lockhart was a neat little town with some great choices for BBQ. Now to sleep off the BBQ.....

If you can find the time, and it will take some time, the brisket at Franklin's is the best. I've tried to find better...

I've heard about it. I wish they did dinner :)

I will check and see if I can swing a 2 hour lunch hour tomorrow!!

My ole lady is from Texas and last time we went there, I was amazed that you had a WHOLE isle in the market dedicated to BBQ. Bags, bags and more bags of all types of wood chips, many sauces, etc... I almost sh*t ! My exact words to her father were "Really dude, a whole isle?" Texas knows how to BBQ thats for sure... and the steaks at SaltGrass - yeah buddy.

I can't remember what food show it was, but they went to Kruez's and I involuntarily started licking the tv screen. It's on my bucket list.

Black's, Smitty's and Kruez's are the holy trinity of bbq. We actually have a standing plan to get a bunch of friends together and split up into teams. One group goes to each bbq joint, and then we meet up at a rally spot. That way can do an impromptu buffet and compare... and throw rib bones at each other...

If you make it to Franklins, and feel so inclined, ask for a brisket sandwich with the burnt end of the brisket. Shit, I may take a two hour lunch! The lean brisket is good, the moist brisket could actually start fist fights and probably has. Yeah.

Should you get the chance to break away for a smoke, give me a hollar.

OK my mouth is watering guys... I missed lunch today :(