• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

The age old discussion about value of NC cigars

tone-ny

I smoke therefore I am!
Cigar Sid said:

As you have said earlier, to each his own... Again, I respect your comments and point of view.

I guess I am super sensitive to Malik Acid. MA is an organic compound found abundantly in the soil around the world. It is the same compound that gives "green apples" their sour taste. It is very abundant in the Dominican Republic, Honduras and Nicaragua. The only place on the planet that does not have an abundance of MA in the soil is Cuba. The government (here and in Canada) actually developed a test (later deemed too expensive and labor intensive) that uses an extremely reliable method based on gas chromatographic/mass spectrometric (GC/MS) profiling of nonvolatile organic acids in cigars. It was decided (based on these tests) that the amount of Malik Acid was the determining factor between cuban and non cuban cigars... I do taste the "tartness" in non cuban cigars, and maybe it is my imagination that amplifies it... but it is very clear to me.

My take on this subject is that I prefer value of a cigar under $10. I can buy my usual cigars that are in my rotation for under $10. I generally have Bolivar Royal Corona, Ramon Allones Special Selected, ERDM Choix Supreme, Juan Lopez No. 2 all under $7 a cigar. I buy them in bulk and have them aged for three to five years. I can't say the same of the cigars that I do like to smoke that are NC, I can't but a single Davidoff for under $10. I can't buy opus X petit lanceros or power rangers for under $10.

So this is my take is, smoke what you like and can afford. I stopped chasing unicorns because they aren't any better than what is available easily. I will continue to smoke Davidoff's because I like them, although I know they aren't that much better than the other cigars in my rotation.

There is a reason I have this post from B.B.S as my signature:

"BlindedByScience said:
I think white potatoes just suck. I can't imagine why anyone would eat anything but a red potato. Every white potato I've ever had was tough as hell, and had no flavor. Every single one in the universe is that way. I'm sure of it. Red potatoes taste so much better I can't believe it. There may be exceptions to the rule, but I haven't found it yet. Red potatoes just whip ass on white potatoes and I think anyone that eats white potatoes is a few fries short of a happy meal.

B.B.S."

Everybody has their own take on what the best cigars are and from which country they come from. I think about cigars the same way I do about food, I love Dominican food but I also can appreciate and enjoy other cuisines from around the world. I will try any cigar brand at least once and draw my own conclusions as to the worthiness of it. I really enjoy CCs (that's why about 90% of my stock are from that island) but there are times when all I do is smoke NCs. I can agree that CCs can offer the best bang for your money but like Tone just stated "smoke what you like and can afford."

I like those little multi-colored fingerling ones they're growing from Andean heirloom stocks now. And white-skinned potatoes, rubbed in olive oil, salted & peppered, and baked at 400º . . . not that I get to eat carbs anymore. :oops:

On the CC/NC question, there are some Cuban cigars I've enjoyed a lot---classic choices like RASS and Epi#2 and RyJ Short Churchill---but by and large Cubans haven't seemed to have the kind of strong, full-bodied, deep flavor profile I prefer. Between that and my lacking the patience, budget, or humidor space to age anything 3-5 years before lighting it up, I tend to stick with NC cigars.

~Boar

I smoke quite a few more CC's than I smoke NC's anymore, but I smoke both. The new Davidoff's from NC are damn good cigars, for one example. Got to say there are a couple brands of NC that I 'grew up' with, that just aren't the same smoke that they were a decade or so ago. Consistancy of CC's are far, far better than they were a decade ago, and I enjoy them a lot. You can spend awesome sums of money on either, and I'm with tone-ny. Thankfully, there are still great cigars in the $10-ish range, from both countries of origin.

It's all about what you like, and I like having some variety in my evening smoke. If it's good, I'll smoke it.

....except white potatoes. Don't get me started....:p

Smoke what you like and like what you smoke........its all a matter of opinion and you know those are widely varied.

PS; I never met a potato that had butter and salt on it that I didn't like!

Value and worth are subjective. I've had bottles of beer that cost a few dollars that blew me away and I've had bottles of beer that cost far more than that that didn't. I've enjoyed bottles of wine that cost a third the price of others. Smoke what you like; like what you smoke. The only person who can tell you what you like is you.

And all things being equal, I prefer yams to potatoes.

Like wine, I have always searched for sub $10.00 cigars that agree with my taste buds at the time. This search is what keeps me interested & involved in both over many years. Like BBS said, the cigars we enjoyed just 5-10 years ago have changed which makes the search a necessary, ongoing adventure...but at the same time, coupled with disappointment because our old stalwarts have gone down hill with their absence of familiar flavors.

The lack of consistency we experience has become acceptable now-a-days...which wasn't always the case.

If you are serious about this “hobby” start aging great cigars.

Make a plan to find the best examples of your favorite cc boxes and just put them away. Continue smoking what you smoke, with the understanding that you have a master plan, and that in 10 years (it will come sooner than you think) you will be smoking the best cigars on the planet, every day., for the rest of your life...

Search out cigars like QdO Coronas, which are cheap, and age really well. JL 1’s and 2’s which are crazy good at 10 years old. Monty 1’s and 2’s, which are world class at 15 to 20 years old.

Also, when you have a little cash, buy some aged cc’s and put them away as well. In 10 years, you will have your “special occasion” cigars.

I get it... “smoke what you like” but… make a plan, stick to it, and 10 years from now, you will say... “ damn, that guy CigSid was right” :)

Make a plan to find the best examples of your favorite cc boxes and just put them away. Continue smoking what you smoke, with the understanding that you have a master plan, and that in 10 years (it will come sooner than you think) you will be smoking the best cigars on the planet, every day., for the rest of your life...

Search out cigars like QdO Coronas, which are cheap, and age really well. JL 1’s and 2’s which are crazy good at 10 years old. Monty 1’s and 2’s, which are world class at 15 to 20 years old.

Also, when you have a little cash, buy some aged cc’s and put them away as well. In 10 years, you will have your “special occasion” cigars.

I get it... “smoke what you like” but… make a plan, stick to it, and 10 years from now, you will say... “ damn, that guy CigSid was right” :)

Excellent advice...for you younger guys. When you grow up in the CC culture, I was taught to 'buy 4 times the amount of cigars you smoke'. BUT, as we get older...that becomes a bit of an issue for the likes of Pug, Doc, Doug, and myself. :eek: Then it turns into the hunt for aged stock!

Excellent advice...for you younger guys. When you grow up in the CC culture, I was taught to 'buy 4 times the amount of cigars you smoke'. BUT, as we get older...that becomes a bit of an issue for the likes of Pug, Doc, Doug, and myself. :eek: Then it turns into the hunt for aged stock!
Add me to that list :)

I am searching out aged stock as well, and smoking the best cigars in the world every day, because I just happened to plan this about 20 years ago...

I should live so long. Where the hell were you twenty years ago? My days of ageing cigars has been over for quite some time.

Doc

Been following this plan for last 2 years. Those boxes go on the bottom of my humi so I don't see them and not tempted...makes it easier on me. Great conversation and love everyone's input on this topic.

I learned this from you and others here years ago, which is why I have a good amount of CCs boxes aging. In 20 years I'll be in my early 50's so hopefully I'll get there with a decent amount of health left to enjoy them.

The only two regrets I have when it comes to purchasing cigars are:
1. Not purchasing a full box of the La Escepcion Selectos Finos from Kris (Light This!) when he had his "going out of business" sale lol.
2. Jimmy (emoshun) and I did a couple of box splits back in 2014 (including a box of Allones Extras) and he offered to sell me a full box of the Ramon Allones - Allones Extra LE 2011 for a great price (I think this happened when his wife was about to give birth) but I didn't take it.

I'm still kicking myself for passing on these two. The only thing that consoles me is having a few of both cigars left in my humidor... Heck, I should smoke some of them this weekend.

I learned this from you and others here years ago, which is why I have a good amount of CCs boxes aging. In 20 years I'll be in my early 50's so hopefully I'll get there with a decent amount of health left to enjoy them.
You are an excellent student! I will be 60 next year, so you have a ways to go :)

The only two regrets I have when it comes to purchasing cigars are:
1. Not purchasing a full box of the La Escepcion Selectos Finos from Kris (Light This!) when he had his "going out of business" sale lol.
2. Jimmy (emoshun) and I did a couple of box splits back in 2014 (including a box of Allones Extras) and he offered to sell me a full box of the Ramon Allones - Allones Extra LE 2011 for a great price (I think this happened when his wife was about to give birth) but I didn't take it.
1. I agree, amazing cigars, I wish that I didn’t smoke/give away all of those boxes...