• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

This is about 10mm 1911 style pistols

AVB

Jesus of Cool, I'm bad, I'm nationwide
Been thinking of getting a 10mm for some time and have narrowed it down to a gang of five. While I can spend the money for any of these I'm not sure if paying double for some would increase my enjoyment by twice as much. It isn't like it will be my EDC gun and see a lot of use.

Here is what I am looking at and what I can get them for at this moment. Your opinions on which one and why is what I am looking for.

Rock Island Tac II - $500
Iver Johnson Eagle - $630
Ruger SR1911 - $685
Kimber TLE II - $850
Colt Delta Elite - $925

From what I know, which isn't much, I'd get the Ruger and spend a bunch on gunsmithing. Ruger in general makes a good kit, and it's priced in the middle.

Doc

I have the Ruger sr1911 in .45 , feels good accurate right out of the box.
RI's that I looked at slides were a bit sloppy
Kimbers just didn't feel comfortable to me
The others I have not looked at or have any experience with them, Still dreaming of a bear or cabot tho lol

I have a full sized Springfield "Operator" in .45 (now called the "TRP Operator"), and the Marine has a Springfield Range Officer, also in 45ACP. We're both quite happy with our Springfields, FWIW.

10mm in a 1911...?? Why...?? Just curious.....

I have the Ruger sr1911 in .45 , feels good accurate right out of the box.
RI's that I looked at slides were a bit sloppy
Kimbers just didn't feel comfortable to me
The others I have not looked at or have any experience with them, Still dreaming of a bear or cabot tho lol

Yeah, the problem is getting your hands on each one and not interpreting from one to another. I have an RI 1911 in .40 S&W and for me, it seems to shoot just as well and my Springfield XDM although I've never actually measured the groups. I have a Colt in 45ACP but a full power 10mm zips along 50% faster so it is hard to say if they compare well. The Ruger is different too because the 45 has a bushing and the 10mm version has a bull barrel and no bushing. I'm leaning toward going cheap and seeing if I like it and it does what I think it should and then maybe upgrading at some point in the future if I need something better.

I have a full sized Springfield "Operator" in .45 (now called the "TRP Operator"), and the Marine has a Springfield Range Officer, also in 45ACP. We're both quite happy with our Springfields, FWIW.

10mm in a 1911...?? Why...?? Just curious.....
Well Springfield hasn't made a 10mm 1911 for about 15 years (The Omega I believe) so that doesn't help. My normal carry is a full size 1911 so all my holsters can stay the same for one reason. I like 1911's for another and the heft of the frame and slide really help with recoil over a plastic gun. I can certainly tell the difference in recoil between my 1911 Colt and my FN-FNP 45. I never felt the need to have 17+ rounds because if I can't hit what I'm aiming at with the 8 I've got then I might as well just quit. I know my FNP holds 15 but that was not the reason I bought it nor do I carry it normally.

I would agree with Doc and go with the Ruger given your parameters. The Rugers are a pretty good value for the money and customer support has done right by me. I've handled some base SR1911 and the seem pretty nice out of the box. I've shot an RI before and had no real complaints, but don't know anything about their customer service.

Tom, the TRP is one of the guns I've really lusted after. Sexy as hell and by all accounts the most finished factory gun out their. If it wasn't for the overwhelming need to suppress my 11.5 inch AR I would probably jump on one. Surprisingly I've seen several instock locally for ~$1200

I would agree with Doc and go with the Ruger given your parameters. The Rugers are a pretty good value for the money and customer support has done right by me. I've handled some base SR1911 and the seem pretty nice out of the box. I've shot an RI before and had no real complaints, but don't know anything about their customer service.

Tom, the TRP is one of the guns I've really lusted after. Sexy as hell and by all accounts the most finished factory gun out their. If it wasn't for the overwhelming need to suppress my 11.5 inch AR I would probably jump on one. Surprisingly I've seen several instock locally for ~$1200

That would be a tough call. A Springfield TRP or a Dan Wesson Valkyrie - both are close to the same price.

Some very good deals of late on the Silencerco Omega, if that interests you.

STI for the win.

Or if money and time are not important....SVI Infinity.

Since it does look like you've got a budget....RI and trick it out.