• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Viaje Platino Jefe

Kingantz

Growing too fast.
Just goes to show how much I know about the Viaje line. I’m asking questions about the Platino and how I need to review one of those when Jim (Cigar Buff) sends me a PM letting me know a couple of the other Viaje he sent WERE Platino. Glad he let me know as I would’ve never known it. :blush:

Jim sent a couple of vitolas, one a large 7 x 50 Jefe and the other a smaller size. I decided on the Jefe since it’s a beautiful afternoon, and I had plenty of time. The Nicaragua Corojo 99 wrapper is a dark brown in color with noticeable oiliness and prominent veins running the length. Very well constructed with a nicely rounded triple cap on top. There’s only a slight give when squeezed and a good, solid weight in the hand. With the cap punched, I find the draw to have a tad bit more resistance than I’d like, however good airflow still comes through. I’m getting some seriously rich dark chocolate and thick espresso flavor in the cold draw.

I put fire to the foot and after the burn is nice and even, I take a long draw. There a small amount of spice on the back of the throat and yes, the smoke is definitely milder in body. Flavors are that of cocoa, worn leather, sweet dark brown sugar, and a rich earth. I’m finding I have to take a couple of quick puffs before taking a long draw to get good smoke out. I think some of it is due to the slightly tight draw, however I know it’s also because of the mildness in the smoke.

The burn is sharp with a dark gray ash forming that holds quite strong. I like the way the ash layers itself with each draw taken. As with the Oro I smoked not long ago, I’m finding the smoke from this Platino to be quite thick on the tongue, feeling almost oily. I can see the oils burning at the edge of the ash as well. Flavors continue as described previously, very rich and very good. The small amount of spice continues with the smoke quite mild for my palate. I find the finish to be quite lasting and also very good.

Around the halfway mark and on, the smoke picked up to more of a mild medium body with the flavors building in richness and the finish becoming much more defined on the palate and very lasting. I have to say that yes, I do prefer the Oro as it does have a bit more strength than the Platino, however both are incredibly rich in flavor. Another excellent cigar!

Damnit! I have no idea what happened, but I lost several of the ending photos. Sorry ‘bout that!

05-01-09ViajeJefe001.jpg

05-01-09ViajeJefe002.jpg

05-01-09ViajeJefe003.jpg

I had a few puffs of one, and I really enjoyed it.. I think I might need to find some more.
Nice review.
Scott

Awesome awesome stick, I was lucky enough to get a few of these sticks... If I recall, these aren't for retail...