• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Viaje Skull and Bones

Kingantz

Growing too fast.
I received a PM from Don (Pembroke) a week or so ago asking if I would be willing to review one of the Johnny-O! XBMF, or maybe it was a VBMF, of which I gladly agreed to do. When I received the package he had included a couple other very nice sticks which included this Viaje Skull and Bones. Of course, I was more than thrilled to have received this cigar as well and decided to put fire to it this evening after a long day of work. The Nicaraguan sun grown wrapper is very dark, full of shiny oils, and has a couple of prominent veins. It has a good weight in the hand, a slight give when squeezed with no soft spots, and after punching the cap I find the draw perfect with a sweet taste of raisins coming through. I also noticed a stem was right underneath the cap, and I used my fingernail to pull it up and out leaving a small empty spot.

After torching the foot and getting a good burn going, I take a couple quick puffs to get the smoke flowing and then a decent draw. I’m hit with a fairly powerful blast of peppery spice that literally burns the back of the tongue and throat. I get this again in the second draw, however by the third and fourth it began to mellow fairly quickly, and I began to really enjoy it. The strength was a good medium with a matching body, the smoke feeling somewhat oily on the palate with earthy, sweet flavor that was quite rich and delicious.

A quarter in and the burn is sharp with a medium to dark gray ash forming that holds strong. I can see the oils gathering at the edge of the burn as the fire creeps along, medium strength smoke is flowing well through the perfect draw. Being so short, but with a larger ring gauge, tons of smoke is coming through with the spice hitting just right on the back of the tongue and throat with a delicious richness flowing across the palate. I detect lots of earth, coffee, and leather with a nice sweetness left in the finish.

I was towards the final third of the smoke before I knew it, and it began to get hot as I got closer to the end. It was quite interesting how the cigar started out powerful, but quickly calmed down to a smooth, delicious smoke that lasted throughout. I really enjoyed this short cigar with sharp burn, perfect draw, and rich Viaje flavors. Thank you Don for the opportunity to sample the Skull and Bones!

06-09-10ViajeSkullnBones001.jpg

06-09-10ViajeSkullnBones002.jpg

DSC09486.jpg

06-09-10ViajeSkullnBones003.jpg

06-09-10ViajeSkullnBones004.jpg

06-09-10ViajeSkullnBones005.jpg

I'm excited to smoke mine now, thanks Greg. Great review!!! :thumbs:

Thanks for the review. I won one of these in a contest and am looking forward to trying it!

Thanks for the peak, Greg. Can't wait to try one.

Nice thorough review ... as usual.

I only had one of these gifted to me ... enjoyed it, would compare the taste of the whole smoke to the 1/2 half of a Viaje 50/50.