• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

What's on your plate today?

Like the concept that I can use the sous vide with little to no oversight. Thanks for the insight, filet mignon sounds like a great candidate for the sous vide method.

My kitchen here is too small. Once I move south I'm doing the outside kitchen. Going to get a 30" natural gas grill and a ceramic cooker both with rotisseries. I'm terrible with taking pictures of the finished product!

Like the concept that I can use the sous vide with little to no oversight. Thanks for the insight, filet mignon sounds like a great candidate for the sous vide method.

I've had steak prepared this way and it is really moist and cooked to the temperature you like it. The caramelizing on the outside can be a bit thin for my taste if not finished properly, but that too can be controlled. Since it is cooked in a bag, the seasonings don't fall off or burn off until the end, another advantage. However, I have a problem spending the money on a machine and would like to see if I can use a slow cooker that I already have, it has temperature settings and I plan to monitor this with a thermometer during the process and see if it can be used to cook sous vide as I would probably not do it all the time but rather intermittently.

Since I'm the primary cook in the house I get to buy what I want. I guess that will stop when I fully retire, LOL! I did get a beautiful Le Creuset, oval dutch oven for my birthday. The Anova sous vide with the container and lid shipped is $211. Way less than the BGE or Kamado Joe, I really want.

My kitchen here is too small. Once I move south I'm doing the outside kitchen. Going to get a 30" natural gas grill and a ceramic cooker both with rotisseries. I'm terrible with taking pictures of the finished product!

Personally, the only gas grill that I would ever purchase is one with a flat top griddle. Nothing beats the taste of real hardwood charcoal. If I want to cook on a gas grill, might as well just do it on the kitchen stove.

I've had steak prepared this way and it is really moist and cooked to the temperature you like it. The caramelizing on the outside can be a bit thin for my taste if not finished properly, but that too can be controlled. Since it is cooked in a bag, the seasonings don't fall off or burn off until the end, another advantage. However, I have a problem spending the money on a machine and would like to see if I can use a slow cooker that I already have, it has temperature settings and I plan to monitor this with a thermometer during the process and see if it can be used to cook sous vide as I would probably not do it all the time but rather intermittently.

If your slow cooker temperature settings go as low as 115-130f then that should be fine. My slow cooker doesn't go lower than 190f.

Since I'm the primary cook in the house I get to buy what I want. I guess that will stop when I fully retire, LOL! I did get a beautiful Le Creuset, oval dutch oven for my birthday. The Anova sous vide with the container and lid shipped is $211. Way less than the BGE or Kamado Joe, I really want.

And you don't even need the container and the lid. The Anova alone is $119 right now on amazon.

IMG_8040.JPG IMG_8042.JPG

I've been sous videing food for a while and with a pregnant wife, it's been useful to pasteurize eggs so she can have runny eggs every once in a while. But I've never sous vide a steak before (even though it's one of the most used functions). So she said she wanted a steak this weekend and saw a nice 2 lb t-bone at Costco and got to work.

Salt, pepper, garlic, butter.
3 hours at 133 degrees. Finished on the grill for 1 minute on each side. Was so freaking good.

I went to the butcher shop today and saw a beautiful peace of brisket so I brought it home and made a few steak sandwiches. This was all kinds of good. Seasoned the brisket with salt and pepper and cooked it really quick on a really hot flattop cast iron griddle. Melted American and some sharp cheddar cheese.
full

With the cool/Fall temps that we've had over the last few weeks, it got me ready for Fall and some Fall baking/cooking. So naturally I made some sausage balls, over the weekend. My daughter does a dance fundraiser, twice a year, so we have sausage/bacon pretty much year round :)

FB_IMG_1505140965392.jpg

Last edited: