• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

What's on your plate today?

With the cool/Fall temps that we've had over the last few weeks, it got me ready for Fall and some Fall baking/cooking. So naturally I made some sausage balls, over the weekend. My daughter does a dance fundraiser, twice a year, so we have sausage/bacon pretty much year round :)

View attachment 17967
Is that corn in there? What's in there?

Is that corn in there? What's in there?

Sausage, sharp cheese, bisquick and pepper. No corn!

I use this recipe :

1 lb ground sausage (I just use mild, my family can't handle too much heat)
4 cups of shredded sharp cheese
3 cups of bisquick
Pepper (I don't measure, LOL)

Roll into balls and bake until brown @ 375, usually takes about 18 minutes. Of course, it depends on how big you make them, but I normally stick with ping pong size. The last time I baked them, I baked at 325 for 20 - 22 minutes, just so the bottom wouldn't get too brown. These are best, a few minutes out of the oven, but are great warmed up in the microwave as well.

Did a couple of pork butts on Sunday which were used to make pulled pork sandwiches with homemade coleslaw. Cooked them for about 16 hours at 230f. These things turned out so good. Last night I used some of the leftovers to make some tacos.
full

Did a couple of pork butts on Sunday which were used to make pulled pork sandwiches with homemade coleslaw. Cooked them for about 16 hours at 230f. These things turned out so good. Last night I used some of the leftovers to make some tacos.
full
Looks terrific! The left overs are great on nachos also.....

full

What's the cut on those, is it a pork shoulder? I've never used anything but a Boston Port butt and would love to try something new.

full
How long have you had your Egg Michael?

That, and your probe.... Been looking for one that is bluetooth, or wifi... Any suggestions?

What's the cut on those, is it a pork shoulder? I've never used anything but a Boston Port butt and would love to try something new.

These are boneless Boston pork butt. I have cooked the pork shoulders the same way as these with great results as well, but more often than not, I make the shoulders Cuban style with crispy skin (Cook them at higher temps and for a shorter time, maybe around 350 until internal temp reaches 185f and then around 400-425f until skin is nice and crispy). Here are some pics of one of the shoulders I made:
full

full

full

full

full

OMG that looks great!

How long have you had your Egg Michael?

That, and your probe.... Been looking for one that is bluetooth, or wifi... Any suggestions?

I believe I purchased the egg for the summer of 2014. I use one called the stoker from Rock's Bar-B-Que www.rocksbarbque.com I really like it a lot and it's WiFi. It comes with a fan setup that basically keeps the egg at whichever temp you want it to be, just like a kitchen oven. To be honest with you, I have only used the fan about 3 times and I got the stoker about 2 years ago. I only use the food temperature and pit probes. If you purchase it, make sure to get extra food probes (you can connect up to 6 devices) I had one in each of the pork butts but the picture I posted doesn't show that. Also, get the little stand. The day I made those pork butts, I cooked them without using the automatic fan. I placed them in the egg around 8:00 PM and just kept a watch on the temperatures using my phone. I went to bed around 12 AM and set an alarm to wake up 3 hours later just to check my phone, I looked that everything was going well, set another phone alarm for 4 hours later and went right back to sleep . It's nice being able to check the pit temp and food temps right from your bed.

The only times that I have used the fan were Thanksgiving and Christmas, because you know those are crazy days and too much going on to worry about checking on your egg. This stoker also has a loud ass alarm that warms you when the food is done or when the pit temps are too high or too low, and of course, you can turn these off or on as you see fit.
full

Last edited:
These are boneless Boston pork butt. I have cooked the pork shoulders the same way as these with great results as well, but more often than not, I make the shoulders Cuban style with crispy skin (Cook them at higher temps and for a shorter time, maybe around 350 until internal temp reaches 185f and then around 400-425f until skin is nice and crispy). Here are some pics of one of the shoulders I made:

full

I want the rice recipe!

IIRC, a Boston butt and pork shoulder are the same thing. The butt refers not to a part of the hog but of the vessel the cuts were stored in ye olden times. Correct me if I'm wrong.

IIRC, a Boston butt and pork shoulder are the same thing. The butt refers not to a part of the hog but of the vessel the cuts were stored in ye olden times. Correct me if I'm wrong.

I know the Boston butt doesn't come from the pig's butt, although you can't convince my kids of that. They think it's funny, each time I say I need to buy some pork butt, to smoke. The reason I asked, is because it's tied together, so I just assumed it was another cut. I also didn't see the blade bone, as I've always just smoked with the blade bone in.

320px-American_Pork_Cuts.svg.png

I still need that rice recipe!

I know the Boston butt doesn't come from the pig's butt, although you can't convince my kids of that. They think it's funny, each time I say I need to buy some pork butt, to smoke. The reason I asked, is because it's tied together, so I just assumed it was another cut. I also didn't see the blade bone, as I've always just smoked with the blade bone in.

320px-American_Pork_Cuts.svg.png

I still need that rice recipe!

I could see the blade bone in the picture with the rice... It's on the right.

Ditto on that rice recipe Michael!!!