• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

What's on your plate today?

Try adding a teaspoon of (reconstituted) wakame and hijike seaweed next time. Gives it a nice briny flavor.

Try adding a teaspoon of (reconstituted) wakame and hijike seaweed next time. Gives it a nice briny flavor.

I looked! Both my local HEB stores came up empty on it! I'll have to hit an Asian market or try Amazon (that's where I got my pho spices). I did find a rice seasoning, Seto Fumi Furikake, with dried seaweed in it and used some of that. It's . . . pungently "briny." :eek:

~Boar

It doesn't? I'm getting to be an old man. I still eat like a teenager. As a matter of fact, I'm eating Maine seafood, fried, for the next four days. I just love fried oysters and clams not to mention shrimp and haddock. Screw 'em. Ya gotta die of something and it may as well be food. I live to eat and healthy food sucks. It's fat that makes food taste good. BTW, I've got blood work numbers that a long distance runner would be proud of. It's has more to do with one's genes than anything else.

Doc
I ate like a teenager up until my mid to late 30's. All it got me was morbidly obese. I've had to make significant changes to slim down and while I splurge every weekend to an extent, remaining slim is more fun to me than cheeseburgers or the 20-piece chicken mcnuggets and large chocolate shake I would scarf down on occasion.

Simplest thing to make that is quite healthy and low-carb: pan fried chicken. Grab some chicken breasts (or thighs), season with salt, pepper, garlic, and paprika and throw in the pan with a little oil (I use canola) and it's pretty damn tasty. Throw some roasted veggies or salad on the side and you have a tasty and low-carb meal.

Love poke as well and as long as you go for poke salads and not rice bowls, it's also seriously low-carb.

Just grilled up a couple grass fed beef patties.
Topped them with a slice of cheese, and a side of grilled asparagus.

Wife and I almost ate our own hands off, we were eating them so quick. :D

Just grilled up a couple grass fed beef patties.
Topped them with a slice of cheese, and a side of grilled asparagus.

Wife and I almost ate our own hands off, we were eating them so quick. :D
This is why I now am strict/cutting during the week and more relaxed on Friday night/Saturday. Way too hard, for me anyway, to stick to strict long term.

This is why I now am strict/cutting during the week and more relaxed on Friday night/Saturday. Way too hard, for me anyway, to stick to strict long term.

Nah, it was delicious and we hadn't eaten in almost 8 hrs. :D

Nah, it was delicious and we hadn't eaten in almost 8 hrs. :D
It just reminded me of how I felt about something that in the past would have been boring, but after eating grilled chicken for days, it made it seem like the best thing in the world lol

Last edited:
Made it again tonight, this time with seared ahi tuna---those flash frozen loin steak filets. Wasn't sure where they fall on the "sushi grade" scale so I dressed them with lemon pepper and seared them. Still mostly raw and just delicious. I was out of toasted sesame oil, so I substituted some lemon-infused EVOO and it worked splendidly. Also mixed some leftover black rice I had in with the sushi rice.

The whole thing was basically "make it up as you go along" but it was outstanding! :D

~Boar

That looks delicious.

How do you like the BGE? Worth the money?

I did have sticker a shock with my wife going overboard on all the bells and whistles to surprise me. She spent almost $5k on everything.

That being said, the cost of an Xtra Large Egg and the base Nest is definitely worth the price IMHO. I’ll never go back to a gas grill.

I did have sticker a shock with my wife going overboard on all the bells and whistles to surprise me. She spent almost $5k on everything.

That being said, the cost of an Xtra Large Egg and the base Nest is definitely worth the price IMHO. I’ll never go back to a gas grill.

Ouch. That is spendy. Now that I've got my patio cover done, I need to consider something along these lines. My little crappy charcoal grill looks out of place, and it's starting to rust out

Ouch. That is spendy. Now that I've got my patio cover done, I need to consider something along these lines. My little crappy charcoal grill looks out of place, and it's starting to rust out

Honestly, you could do the large egg, the nest stand, and a cover for around a thousand bucks. Divide that by the minimum 10 years you’ll get out of it and it’s a bargain. Take serious care of it and it’ll last you a lifetime. Don’t know too many grills you can say that about.

Versatility is another plus. We cook everything from steaks seared at 750°, pizza, smoked pork butts, ribs, then cast iron dutch oven stews, pot roast, etc.
You could cook two decent butt roast, or a 20 pound turkey on the large one.

Honestly, you could do the large egg, the nest stand, and a cover for around a thousand bucks. Divide that by the minimum 10 years you’ll get out of it and it’s a bargain. Take serious care of it and it’ll last you a lifetime. Don’t know too many grills you can say that about.

Versatility is another plus. We cook everything from steaks seared at 750°, pizza, smoked pork butts, ribs, then cast iron dutch oven stews, pot roast, etc.
You could cook two decent butt roast, or a 20 pound turkey on the large one.

10 Years? You are being modest, the BGE has limited lifetime warranty if you buy from an authorized dealer. If any of the ceramic parts break from regular usage, they will replace them for you at no cost. Last year one of my friends cracked his BGE firebox and they gave him a new one for free, his egg is 14 years old.

10 Years? You are being modest, the BGE has limited lifetime warranty if you buy from an authorized dealer. If any of the ceramic parts break from regular usage, they will replace them for you at no cost. Last year one of my friends cracked his BGE firebox and they gave him a new one for free, his egg is 14 years old.

Absolutely! The 10 year estimate was it even if you completely neglected it. But, as I alluded to, I plan on this being the last grill I have to ever buy at 50 years old.

On the warranty note, did your buddy call green egg direct, or the dealer he got it from? I have the exact same issue with the crack in my fire ring.

Absolutely! The 10 year estimate was it even if you completely neglected it. But, as I alluded to, I plan on this being the last grill I have to ever buy at 50 years old.

On the warranty note, did your buddy call green egg direct, or the dealer he got it from? I have the exact same issue with the crack in my fire ring.

He contacted the dealer and they took care of it.