• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

What's on your plate today?

I really really really want to try this!!

Here's the recipies I used for this dish:

http://www.chatelaine.com/recipe/world-cuisine-2/asian-flatbread/

I did the Asian version with sesame seed oil and green onions.

https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2011/04/print/chinese-spareribs-char-siu-recipe.html

I followed the cooking instructions on a trial run earlier in the week, and the ribs turned out tough. I wanted to be able to grill them at the end, so they couldn't be "falling off the bone" the way smoked ribs normally are, so I adjusted the cooking to something in the middle. For contest day, I cooked them in three steps: I cooked them in the oven at 300 the night before, 60 mins covered in foil, and 30 mins uncovered (pretty much like the recepie says, but at a lower heat setting). I took them out and let them cool, then wrapped them in packs of 4-6 ribs, with sauce, and wrapped them tightly in foil. At the cook out, I put the foil packs in my electric smoker for 2-2.5 hrs at 230 degrees (without smoke). Then I took the ribs out of the foil, sauced them again, and charred them on a grill for a few minutes per side. I garnished them with chopped chives and sesame seeds. They turned out really tender, but held onto the bone just enough so I could grill them.

I had a little production line going at the cookout where I'd take a couple of packs of ribs out of the smoker, sauce them, grill them, garnish and serve. Wash, rinse and repeat. It kept my tray of ribs hot, and I could keep up with the demand pretty well.

For the BBQ sauce, I started with a second batch of the rib marinade, and worked it until it tasted right. I added ketchup, bourbon, red wine vinegar, salt and siracha and simmered it on the stove for a few minutes to thicken it. I just kept tasting it and adding things until I was happy.

I lost the link to the apple fennel slaw, but it was juice from a lemon, 3-4 julianned apples tossed in the lemon juice, two fennel bulbs sliced about the same size as the apples, some chopped Italian parsley, sea salt, a touch of olive oil, and topped with chopped fennel fronds. I used Pink Lady apples the first time I made it and Fuji the second time. Apples that are a little tart work best.

At the cookout I served the components separately. I thought they would make a great dish if I assembled them as a taco, but the other two guys on my team had a whole Bistro theme going of 3 meats, 3 sauces, 3 breads, and 3 sides; so I didn't want to do my own thing. Towards the end of service, I made up a few rib tacos for the guys and the boss's wife -- it was great! One of the best things I've ever made.

Here's the recipies I used for this dish:

http://www.chatelaine.com/recipe/world-cuisine-2/asian-flatbread/

I did the Asian version with sesame seed oil and green onions.

https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2011/04/print/chinese-spareribs-char-siu-recipe.html

I followed the cooking instructions on a trial run earlier in the week, and the ribs turned out tough. I wanted to be able to grill them at the end, so they couldn't be "falling off the bone" the way smoked ribs normally are, so I adjusted the cooking to something in the middle. For contest day, I cooked them in three steps: I cooked them in the oven at 300 the night before, 60 mins covered in foil, and 30 mins uncovered (pretty much like the recepie says, but at a lower heat setting). I took them out and let them cool, then wrapped them in packs of 4-6 ribs, with sauce, and wrapped them tightly in foil. At the cook out, I put the foil packs in my electric smoker for 2-2.5 hrs at 230 degrees (without smoke). Then I took the ribs out of the foil, sauced them again, and charred them on a grill for a few minutes per side. I garnished them with chopped chives and sesame seeds. They turned out really tender, but held onto the bone just enough so I could grill them.

I had a little production line going at the cookout where I'd take a couple of packs of ribs out of the smoker, sauce them, grill them, garnish and serve. Wash, rinse and repeat. It kept my tray of ribs hot, and I could keep up with the demand pretty well.

For the BBQ sauce, I started with a second batch of the rib marinade, and worked it until it tasted right. I added ketchup, bourbon, red wine vinegar, salt and siracha and simmered it on the stove for a few minutes to thicken it. I just kept tasting it and adding things until I was happy.

I lost the link to the apple fennel slaw, but it was juice from a lemon, 3-4 julianned apples tossed in the lemon juice, two fennel bulbs sliced about the same size as the apples, some chopped Italian parsley, sea salt, a touch of olive oil, and topped with chopped fennel fronds. I used Pink Lady apples the first time I made it and Fuji the second time. Apples that are a little tart work best.

At the cookout I served the components separately. I thought they would make a great dish if I assembled them as a taco, but the other two guys on my team had a whole Bistro theme going of 3 meats, 3 sauces, 3 breads, and 3 sides; so I didn't want to do my own thing. Towards the end of service, I made up a few rib tacos for the guys and the boss's wife -- it was great! One of the best things I've ever made.
Thank you so much for taking the time to write this up and share it with me! I love Asian style dishes and absolutely love the Asian/Chinese style flatbread/pancakes with green onions. Josh doesn’t like green onions, so they will be all mine!!!!!!! I hope I can try this soon!

Thank you so much for taking the time to write this up and share it with me! I love Asian style dishes and absolutely love the Asian/Chinese style flatbread/pancakes with green onions. Josh doesn’t like green onions, so they will be all mine!!!!!!! I hope I can try this soon!

You're very welcome. Please post some pics when you try it out.

12 slabs of babybacks on the regular sized Weber Bullet today...been using one for 15 years through many competitions and I think I hit my personal capacity limit. They all came out great, pic of a clean bite below..."falling off the bone" is KC BBQ failure, it's a narrow window to get the clean pull-away bite vs. overcooked and falling apart.

Edited to add: My initial smoker setup is the same for short and long cooks, and I hate wasting charcoal, so for a short cook I'll have plenty of fuel left to set a grate right over the charcoal and cook whatever I have on hand. Got a ton of green onions and garlic scapes (green garlic tops before they flower) from our CSA farmer this weekend, so I grilled the hell out of them, chopped them up, tossed in some salt, olive oil, and Sriracha. On a whim came up with a pretty great base condiment with a ton of applications. Will do the same thing but swap in some different hot sauce for tacos next week. My whiskey tango chutney-ish creation!

I'll gift my folks some ribs, but I love doing huge cooks for vacuum sealing and freezing. With our schedules it's good to have some variety available on a weeknight.

20180528_154247.jpg 20180528_162509.jpg

Last edited:
12 slabs of babybacks on the regular sized Weber Bullet today...been using one for 15 years through many competitions and I think I hit my personal capacity limit. They all came out great, pic of a clean bite below..."falling off the bone" is KC BBQ failure, it's a narrow window to get the clean pull-away bite vs. overcooked and falling apart.

Edited to add: My initial smoker setup is the same for short and long cooks, and I hate wasting charcoal, so for a short cook I'll have plenty of fuel left to set a grate right over the charcoal and cook whatever I have on hand. Got a ton of green onions and garlic scapes (green garlic tops before they flower) from our CSA farmer this weekend, so I grilled the hell out of them, chopped them up, tossed in some salt, olive oil, and Sriracha. On a whim came up with a pretty great base condiment with a ton of applications. Will do the same thing but swap in some different hot sauce for tacos next week. My whiskey tango chutney-ish creation!

I'll gift my folks some ribs, but I love doing huge cooks for vacuum sealing and freezing. With our schedules it's good to have some variety available on a weeknight.

View attachment 20767 View attachment 20768
Looking really good. I didn't think you could fit that many racks in a Bullet smoker. I managed to squeeze 8 racks in a Large Green Egg and though I was doing well. I bow to the master.

Looking really good. I didn't think you could fit that many racks in a Bullet smoker. I managed to squeeze 8 racks in a Large Green Egg and though I was doing well. I bow to the master.

Yeah it takes a couple of of those racks that will hold them in their sides, and some rotation of the slabs a few different times. Probably added about an hour to my cook overall packing it full. The only collateral damage was the ends of 2 longer slabs getting crunchy up against the sides of the smoker. There was luck involved, won't try repeating anytime soon!

Breakfast . . . shrimp, avocado & Gouda omelette (atop a hash brown patty) and Chophouse bacon.

34309077_10216134343101157_710166687705464832_n.jpg

~Boar

Tried a new dish for my low/zero carb diet (down 20 lbs since I started & I haven't really gone that strict yet!) and it turned out great---Vietnamese-style fish on cauliflower rice. Sauce is equal parts fish sauce, toasted sesame oil, and brown sugar with minced garlic and shallots, caramelized in the wok a bit before the fish & seafood are added. I used gochujang, a Korean fermented chili paste, instead of red pepper flakes and added a dash of ponzu.

35143825_10216215200162533_1625384468560740352_n.jpg

~Boar