• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

What's your latest Pipe and tobacco purchase?

my GF doesn't like the room note of any of the english blends
I may have mentioned this. Have you tried Orlik Golden Sliced? Solid Flavor with a nice room note. She might find it agreeable. Great value to boot.

I may have mentioned this. Have you tried Orlik Golden Sliced? Solid Flavor with a nice room note. She might find it agreeable. Great value to boot.

I haven't, but I'll put it on the list.

I haven't, but I'll put it on the list.
Have you tried many predominantly Virginia Blends? VaPers? I started with English blends. VAs and VaPers, initially, didn't really do it for me, but I kept trying them. Eventually I did a complete flip to them, and now very rarely smoke an English. I've heard, more than once, that this is a common evolution for pipers.

I'm still getting a handle of the different classifications, but I think some of the samples I've been sent are Virginias. What's Squadron Leader considered, English or Va? There hasn't been anything I haven't liked. I'm digging the Dunhill English blends mostly because they (for me) most closely remind me of cigars. I've only had the one aromatic (local house blend, cherry based) that Kristen got me for Christmas. I have more on order though. It's such a big world when it comes to pipe tobacco. So many great options and not enough time to try them all.

Last edited:
Honestly, this might last me years. I opened all the Dunhills. The rest won't get touched until I finish up one of the other jars. All open tins get immediate transferred a pickle jar. It is interesting that my GF doesn't like the room note of any of the english blends. I'll only be able to smoke aromatics when she is with me. Not that I'm complaining.
Have you tried burley yet? McClelland makes some good ones. Also, they make an interesting collection of Orientals. But this is how you end up with many Mason jars, too! :D

I don't think so. I need to actually look up again all of the various samplers I was bombed with. It's possible I have and just didn't know.

Arrived today are tins of Drew Estate Cherry Heirloom, Drew Estate Central Park Stroll, Drew Estate Grand Central and Sutliff Field Master. All I know is, if the Sutliff (english) tastes like or the smoke smells like it does in it's current form it may not be for me. I'm going to give it a few chances before I write it off so we will see.

Edited to add: I got them all on clearance from an online retailer so I only paid $24 for them all so if I don't like one of the blends I'm sure I can find someone who will take it off my hands.

Had enough time last night to sneak in half a bowl of Squadron Leader.

Oops, sorry. Wrong thread!
I just assumed you were smoking them in a pipe. Perfectly normal, of course. Do it all the time!

Been smoking through someH&H Anny Kake from 08. Quite good!
:)

I just assumed you were smoking them in a pipe. Perfectly normal, of course. Do it all the time!

Been smoking through someH&H Anny Kake from 08. Quite good!
:)

That stuff is really good. One of my fav fall smokes.

I snagged a nice Astley Scoop, or what they called a Calabash (not even close to what we think of as a calabash), on the Bay of E.
I have had great luck with Astleys and they are typically pretty pricey. Tobacco always tastes great in them.
Astley Calabash 4-10-2016 $42.00.jpg

That stuff is really good. One of my fav fall smokes.
It was one of many group purchases in which I partook. You got a sliding discount by quantity. It was a nice way to stock up on blends you're really sure you like. ;)

That's a lovely "calabash". While I don't intend to get more than one or two additional pipes, one of them definitely will be a calabash.

Picked up 2 tins of the new cellar series release from C&D- Bijou. I'm a sucker for aging and every one of these they've put out has been really good. One for now, one for the cellar.

I'm not (yet) a pipe smoker, but seeing threads like this sure makes me want to start.

It's very different from the whole cigar experience. All thins being equal, I much prefer cigars, but at times enjoy goofing around with a pipe. Finishing a good cigar is just far more satisfying.

I don't frequent this thread much anymore because my dentist disapproves of pipe smoking. Says it ruins his work. But I gotta say that if you're smoking English blends along with Virginia, don't smoke them in the same pipes. English blends are notorious for leaving ghosts, and will surely interfere with your smoking pleasure. Ideally, you should have 7 pipes for English, 7 for Virginias and on and on for every type blend you smoke a day. So to be clear, if you smoke English, Orientals, and Virginias in one day, you need three pipes for that day. That's why corncobs are so nice.

Doc

Last edited: