• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

When does a $5 bag Spanish Cedar Chips cost $10?

Is American made sawdust superior to imported Chinese knockoff sawdust? So exactly how do we measure sawdust in board feet? They aren't boards....anymore

So that said.......
I have some fresh dogshit to sell as air freshener if anyone wants some $10 for a big ole Zip-Loc, that's equivalent to at least 10 pounds of steak that I feed my dogs, a bargain at any price and it will definitely smell better than the BS he's dishing out.

Ok lemme get this straight $10 for a big ole Zip-loc. What kind of steak is it? Now if it was Kobe' now that definately is a bargain, but if its the Angus you get from Walmart then it will have to be 1 big ole bag and 1 quart sized bag to make the deal. But for payment I will send you the $10 for S/H and 3 phillies sports and 1 swisher sweet for payment.

PM me and lemme know
Rich
laugh.gif

Is American made sawdust superior to imported Chinese knockoff sawdust? So exactly how do we measure sawdust in board feet? They aren't boards....anymore

So that said.......
I have some fresh dogshit to sell as air freshener if anyone wants some $10 for a big ole Zip-Loc, that's equivalent to at least 10 pounds of steak that I feed my dogs, a bargain at any price and it will definitely smell better than the BS he's dishing out.

Ok lemme get this straight $10 for a big ole Zip-loc. What kind of steak is it? Now if it was Kobe' now that definately is a bargain, but if its the Angus you get from Walmart then it will have to be 1 big ole bag and 1 quart sized bag to make the deal. But for payment I will send you the $10 for S/H and 3 phillies sports and 1 swisher sweet for payment.

PM me and lemme know
Rich
laugh.gif

A bit of advice Rich. For someone who just yesterday was all fired up about getting "lynched" (even though you weren't), this is a very poor choice of threads to play in.

So that said.......

PM me and lemme know
Rich
laugh.gif

A bit of advice Rich. For someone who just yesterday was all fired up about getting "lynched" (even though you weren't), this is a very poor choice of threads to play in.

Well Yesterday I was just defending myself which I am allowed to do since that is the way I felt. Secondly, I posted that as a joke not meant to be taken seriously and just trying to get in on the chuckle.

Brian all the guys on your list suck. I'm just sayin

Well, I actually had you on the list also Phil, but ended up taking you off because you're usually too polite and calm to be on a list full of assholes.

Well Yesterday I was just defending myself which I am allowed to do since that is the way I felt. Secondly, I posted that as a joke not meant to be taken seriously and just trying to get in on the chuckle.

This isn't a "chuckle" thread for you just to get in. If what's going on is being handled then stay out of it.

Anybody else getting flashbacks of dulaney22 with this guy?

So that said.......

PM me and lemme know
Rich
laugh.gif

Hey Newb,

STFU. You are welcome!

Brian all the guys on your list suck. I'm just sayin

Well, I actually had you on the list also Phil, but ended up taking you off because you're usually too polite and calm to be on a list full of assholes.

I'm polite and calm. ???

Bill,
Just to try to explain one more time.........

No one really cares about what your classification is. What the issue is, is that you came in here and introduced yourself as someone who had a "hobby". I think you came here and knew all along that this place might be a good one to promote your product knowing full well it was something you could make money off of. Hobby or not.

However, out of caution you felt it better to present yourself as a hobbyist only. Most likely because as most of us know, moderators on a lot of forums want their cut for advertising, etc. and you thought you'd get shut down/banned as promoting a business.

When I PM'd you to inquire about an ashtray, you were definitely all business when it wasn't out in the open. Jonathan said you replied to his query on an ashtray for $300.00. I wish I still had the PM to back it, but I'm pretty damn sure my price was going to be $350.00 for an ashtray.

Nothing wrong with recouping cost as a hobbyist, but again, you were all business and I knew then you didn't fit your introduction..

At some point you decided to announce your hobby was going to become a business when you decided it was safe and you had built enough of a reputation, knowing it was business all along. Everyone including myself knew you were going to make this announcement way before you even did it.

I can't speak for everyone else, but I'd be satisfied with an acknowledgment from you owning up to what everyone believes was you wanting to sell your wares here from the get go. That you were in fact all business from day one, and you misrepresented your intentions for joining here from the get go. Basically, insulting our intelligence.
That wouldn't ever take away from the fact that you might look at this as a hobby and a business both. Or, the fact that you are obviously very passionate about what you do.

I would go back to viewing you with indifference.

Bill,
Just to try to explain one more time.........

No one really cares about what your classification is. What the issue is, is that you came in here and introduced yourself as someone who had a "hobby".

Let's keep this on track.

The issue in this thread is about charging different amounts for the same product.

It may be cheaper now because it's 'smaller' ...well, I call bullshit.

He knows what he's selling, for how much and to whom.

He slithered in under the radar as a hobbyist...just like he was an auto sound hobbyist and then started a business out of it.

Fuck, you don't go and build a full wood working shop within a year of finding out you can 'make humidors'...that's planned.

Back on point...he got caught selling a product at two different prices...what else is he gouging?

....edit...

My mistake about building the shop after a year:

I've been in some form of wood working for over 25 years including the custom home building industry for 8 years. I've had a passion for fine wood working for 20 years. I own a Mobile Electronics business where I've been named one of the top 100 installers in the USA 7 times.

In 2006 I built my own shop to refine my skills and achieve more focus. I've spent years searching far and wide to find the finest, most exotic and unusual woods in the world. I've also done research on woods reaction to various conditions such as high RH as found in Humidors.

I believe that in order to create humidors that stand out from the rest, I would need to refine my joinery skills and at the same time create a level of quality and uniqueness that stands alone in the the crowd. I'm a Humidor Builder and a Cigar smoker. It's not a job to me, it's a lifestyle. I've found those who truly enjoy a fine cigar also enjoy good people and the finer things in life.

Please visit my galleries to view examples of my work and the exotic woods used in my beautiful humidors.

Jfields,

Thank you for your explanation to Humidor Minister. I have been tempted to add this, but was trying to let senior members handle this.
You can place me in the camp that felt that what you have laid out is the genesis of the perception many of us have about Humidor Minister.
In the south, we classify this sort of deception as "pissing in your face, and telling you it's raining".

My reason for posting now is to make it clear to folk's that there are others who feel this way, and also feel that HM has done nothing to change that perception. I have asked myself if once I placed his behaviour in that category, am I automatically placing subsequent activity into that same category.
I believe that I can safely say, to myself, that I am not. I will say that I did wonder if his pricing on the cedar chips was related to quantity,
as it was clear in my mind that we were dealing with vastly differant volumes pertaining to the humidors.

The great poet, Ralph Waldo Emerson said "What you are shrieks so loudly, I can't hear a word you say". That is a very tough image to live with,
and I fear that any redemption would be hard won. That said, I feel that HM can be a positive influence to Cigarpass if he lays some things on the table,
and clarifies his pricing structure, perhaps on his website. There has to be some way to make members a little more comfortable with his pricng
practices. His audio business would not last long if word got out that his prices float like a cork in the ocean.
This may help change the perception many of us have.

As to those who believe HM is totally innocent of this initial deception, I ask them to concede to the fact that it is, unfortunately, too late.
Too many senior members, with an uncanny track record of sniffing out inpropriety, have seen enough to alarm them, and that it is time to get to
the bottom of this. I believe enough has transpired to say that there is a very distinct possibility that inaction, on their part, could result in members suffering.

I hope that my input is acceptable, and that I have added something to this discussion. If not, please accept my apology now, as my intent is purely to preserve the integrity of Cigarpass.

edit for lousy typing.

When I get my lap top fixed, I'll post the recipt to resolve the issue as to why I haven't been doing many reviews and posts lately. Today I just happen to be waiting for glue to dry at different intervals. I would like to say though that I do answer questions about wood working regularly in PM's an in the Humidor section. I know the same group is notorious for being the muscle around here and I respect that. My feelings are not hurt, they are passionate about this site. I have to say though that by definition I do this as a hobby.

hob·by 1 (hb)
n. pl. hob·bies
An activity or interest pursued outside one's regular occupation (Audio 2000 www.audio2000az.com for proof) and engaged in primarily for pleasure.

BUT! by definition, I am also a retailer.

Wikipedia definition:
Retailing consists of the sale of goods or merchandise from a very fixed location, such as a department store, boutique or kiosk, or by mail, in small or individual lots for direct consumption by the purchaser.[1] Retailing may include subordinated services, such as delivery. Purchasers may be individuals or businesses. In commerce, a "retailer" buys goods or products in large quantities from manufacturers or importers, either directly or through a wholesaler, and then sells smaller quantities to the end-user. Retail establishments are often called shops or stores. Retailers are at the end of the supply chain. Manufacturing marketers see the process of retailing as a necessary part of their overall distribution strategy. The term "retailer" is also applied where a service provider services the needs of a large number of individuals, such as a public utility, like electric power.

In order to keep the peace, I choose to be defined as a retailer. BUT, like it or not, I do it for the pleasure of it. Hopefully this can allow you to see this from both sides of the coin. I respect your opinions although I may not agree with them sometimes.

Anyway, I'm going home now. You guys have a wonderful evening. ;)

This is getting ridiculous, YOU DO NOT DO THIS AS A HOBBY! Not only that YOU DO NOT DO THIS SOLELY FOR THE PLEASURE OF IT! Sorry to yell but I need those points to be clear. If you did it for either of those 2 reasons you would be recouping your costs only. You are not only marking up your costs but you are charging labor and trying to profit off the scraps. That is a full blown business.

I have my own business as well, I love what I do but at the end of the day I am a businessman looking to make a profit. I don't do this for the joy of it although that is nice, I also don't do this as a hobby, I do this so that I can bring home money and support my family. The sooner you admit to yourself this is a profit driven business for you the sooner we will let this part of it go away.

The gouging on scraps is a completely separate issue.

Is there a mention anywhere that he regularly sells bags of cedar shavings, ie. a product line? Or is this an opportunistic jump to profit off somebody's need or misfortune?

Is there a mention anywhere that he regularly sells bags of cedar shavings, ie. a product line? Or is this an opportunistic jump to profit off somebody's need or misfortune?

It came about in conversation....were he then offered up the shavings for $10.
Then when a thread came up again about...he offered them for $5.
At $5 he says they are 'smaller bags' - after being questioned.

Thank you Jfields and Madmonk for the well thought out post clearly focusing on the issue you have. I hope that HM reads your post with respect and gives you an honest answer.

John

Let's get straight to the point and stop the nonsense bickering with one another. First of all let's be realistic, people are in business to make money, there should be no issue there. I too own a business, and I have chosen the line of work because I like doing what I do; makes the day go by faster. No one likes doing something they hate. If someone can own a cigar shop and make a nice living (ethically), more power to them. If someone uses CP as their free marketing platform and doesn't give back to the community, then they will be shown the door.

My issues are as follows:

1.) Bill came here masked as a member, when his true intentions were obviously to make money selling humidors. Why not just be honest and say why you joined CP. There are very few members who can walk the line as member and vendor. Isy is one who truly is a member and a top notch vendor. With the explosion of social media, everyone thinks forums, facebook, myspace, etc are all there for people to market their business. There were a couple of recent "bloggers" who joined CP recently only to market their site. I put an end to this quickly. I will not tolerate anyone who wants to act like they're a member, when they're only here to market their company. CP is not facebook, rather a real community. I will not allow CP to whore itself out like other sites do, which is one reason why we have so few sponsors and ads.

2.) Price fixing is forbidden, and when I see a business playing this game I lose respect for them. That right there is grounds for banning.

3.) Bill needs to decide if he is here as a member -or- vendor, clearly he cannot be both. Selling a bag of floor sweep made from material someone else paid for is unethical. CP is a community where everyone helps one another out.

Bill - the members who are questioning your motives are here for the long run, and don't want to see the community get scammed or taken advantage of. When we first conversed last year, you made it pretty damn clear to me that you wanted to be a member of CP, and weren't here to promote your hobby now turned business. After hearing that you tried to sell the same ashtray at two different price levels, and after seeing you try to sell floor sweep, I'm going to have to ask that you remove any further promotional references from your signature, stop promoting your business via PM, and only participate at CP as a member. After seeing the facts and weighing everything out, I feel that I'm being more than fair. Should you decide to remain at CP as a member, only time will tell.

Awaiting your response...

Rod

Last active at 12:05 pm yesterday.....

You know this would have been the first thread he checked out....

Must really be checking and double checking his response before he posts it....

Hey Humi, you do realize that you will have to respond to Rod's post before you do anything else right? ...or you'll get the proverbial stoning for avoiding this thread again!

So, are you ever going to address what Rod said, Bill? This isn't going to just go away, you should know this.

I think it's pretty apparent that he isn't Charles. It's already been 4 days. Maybe if he doesn't acknowledge it, it will just go away... ;)

I guess he ran out of clever emoticons to make light of the situation.

Thank you Rod for your response. I really do have issues with my lap top. I don't work on Sundays and Mondays so this is the first time I've been back on a computer. . As far as the shavings go, I wasn't going to give him a zip lock or something. It was going to be a nice canvas bag which I would buy for him to use the shavings in . I was told by a fellow BOTL who went from being a humidor builder to a coffee maker that the bags of cedar went over real well in the past. In hindsight I should have made this clear or I should have just given him a bag full which I will gladly do.

A little history of my humidors. When I posted my first humidor builds, one was for me and one was for my BIL for Christmas. That was way back when CL was around. I then started getting people asking me if I could build them one. I built a few and gave away one in a contest for bombers and another to a Veteran. I also bombed a couple people with humidors. It was never intended to be a business, just for fun. As time passed, more people requested my work. This is how it came to be what it is today. I still don't build many but I do have a big project on my plate and more desk tops to do. My career is Audio 2000 and I have been in business for 19 years. We have also been named one of the top 100 installation shops in ther USA. This comes from extraordinary customer service. The humidors turned into a business now and I do consider myself a retailer at this point. There was a time that it was fun more than anything else. That time has passed. (It is fun though) So, from this point forward, I am a Retailer everywhere else but here. What I hope you don't mind is, I like doing reviews, I like answering questions when I can help and I like replying to other posts. I usually do this when I come in from the shop at night. Unfortunately it's going to be an expensive fix for my lap top so you may not see as many posts of this type until I get it fixed. Hopefully this also expalins why I haven't been contributing as much as I use to. I haven't been contributing much on any of the boards I frequent because of this. So at this point, everyone knows how this business came to be and everyone knows I'm also just a contributor here now. I'm not out to do anyone wrong in any way. I'm here to help if I can. I appologize if there were conclusions drawn incorrectly due to any mis-statements I may have made. I hope we can all move on to more important things like the great Partagas I had over the weekend. :thumbs: If I haven't cleared up any questions, please ask me anything you like. At this point I will remove my link to my humidor website and no longer offer my craft to CP.
Thank you,
Let's get straight to the point and stop the nonsense bickering with one another. First of all let's be realistic, people are in business to make money, there should be no issue there. I too own a business, and I have chosen the line of work because I like doing what I do; makes the day go by faster. No one likes doing something they hate. If someone can own a cigar shop and make a nice living (ethically), more power to them. If someone uses CP as their free marketing platform and doesn't give back to the community, then they will be shown the door.

My issues are as follows:

1.) Bill came here masked as a member, when his true intentions were obviously to make money selling humidors. Why not just be honest and say why you joined CP. There are very few members who can walk the line as member and vendor. Isy is one who truly is a member and a top notch vendor. With the explosion of social media, everyone thinks forums, facebook, myspace, etc are all there for people to market their business. There were a couple of recent "bloggers" who joined CP recently only to market their site. I put an end to this quickly. I will not tolerate anyone who wants to act like they're a member, when they're only here to market their company. CP is not facebook, rather a real community. I will not allow CP to whore itself out like other sites do, which is one reason why we have so few sponsors and ads.

2.) Price fixing is forbidden, and when I see a business playing this game I lose respect for them. That right there is grounds for banning.

3.) Bill needs to decide if he is here as a member -or- vendor, clearly he cannot be both. Selling a bag of floor sweep made from material someone else paid for is unethical. CP is a community where everyone helps one another out.

Bill - the members who are questioning your motives are here for the long run, and don't want to see the community get scammed or taken advantage of. When we first conversed last year, you made it pretty damn clear to me that you wanted to be a member of CP, and weren't here to promote your hobby now turned business. After hearing that you tried to sell the same ashtray at two different price levels, and after seeing you try to sell floor sweep, I'm going to have to ask that you remove any further promotional references from your signature, stop promoting your business via PM, and only participate at CP as a member. After seeing the facts and weighing everything out, I feel that I'm being more than fair. Should you decide to remain at CP as a member, only time will tell.

Awaiting your response...

Rod