• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Winsor Humidors ...

CTBlankenship

All cigar lovers need humidification and there are many solutions to the problem, tupperdors, typical box humidors, wineadors, etc.  Tupperdors and coolidors are non-elegant but highly effective solutions.  Wineadors are perfect for mass storage but lack in presentation. Typical box humidors meet the classy presentation requirement, but many of the solutions are cheaply constructed, imported from China and will fail ... sooner or later.  Custom built humidors are perfect for elegant presentation and longevity, but most have very high pricing points with the base models offering no customizability.  

A Winsor humidor fits right in the middle.  While priced along the lines of the Savoy, the construction is vastly superior.  For example, the outer box of a Savoy is Spanish cedar.  This wood is light, porous and is susceptible to dimensional change due to humidity differences.  The outer box of a Winsor is 13-ply cabinet grade, birch plywood.  It is then sealed with shellac ... into this outer box the inner Spanish cedar lining is installed.  Effectively, this is a box within a box.  This permits the manufacture of a humidity seal that will never fail.

All Winsors use only the highest quality veneer with one special twist.  We book match the veneer to create special images on the lid.  Here is an example of The Dragon humidor.  The finish is hand polished to a piano gloss.

The Spanish cedar trays and inner lining are burnished to a high sheen and the joinery is precise.

In the end, you get a high quality, custom built humidor, at the price of a Savoy Executive Boveda Series.  Guaranteed for life ... never to fail.

What to see how one is built?  Here is a step by step illustration of building the smallest, 25 count, Yorkshire model humidor.  I only produce two humidors per month.

They are priced, roughly, to compete with a Savoy Executive series ... with about a $50 bump (much better construction).

The answer is, it depends upon your customization requirements:

1.  Do you want a finishing strip ... here is an example of an Excelsior with that option.  It puts the final polish on a humidor in my opinion.  Most other manufacturers simply saw the box at the lid line leaving the box joinery exposed.
2.  Do you want it to arrive pre-seasoned with Heartfelt humidity beads ... about 1/2 lb.
3.  I have four 10-1/2" x 10-1/2" x 6" boxes in production now ... three walnut (with lids of a tiger, an owl and a steer skull) and one amboyna (as of yet unclassified).  The amboyna has three book matched sides (top, front and back) ... making it more expensive than the walnut versions as it consumes more burl to obtain this enhancement.
4.  Do you want matte or piano gloss ... piano gloss adds about another four hours ... I rub the lid out by hand.

So, in general ... the baseline is $225 ... when finished I'll post detailed pictures on my site so you can review the quality and see what I mean.  Plus, no one offer burls like these ... each humidor is one of a kind.

This Monday I shipped an Excelsior to California ... Savoy's weigh around 6 to 8 pounds, the Excelsior weighed 20 lbs.  The difference is in the construction of the outer box.  Savoy uses Spanish cedar ... a light and porous wood susceptible to fluctuations due to humidity differences.  I use plywood ... which is much more dimensionally stable.  Basically, this is an heirloom ... you'll pass it down to your kids.  

Have you viewed my page which details the step-by-step construction techniques?  You'll see the level of detail and quality built into each one.  A point of interest, if you do decide you want one, your are witnessing the actual build of your humidor.

This is a high-resolution image of the amboyna under construction ... it will be magnificent (in my humble opinion).

I did see the step by step.  I'll check the other pics at home as our system blocks google drive.

To be honest these do not sell well on the internet, however, the last time I took one into McCranies it sold before it made it into the case. So for CigarPass the introductory price is $175.