• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

You've got to be kidding me.

Devil Doc

When Death smiles, Corpsmen smile back
Another day, another Nor'easter. Our third in 12 days. I've lived here a long time; I don't think I've ever seen this many in such a short period. 8 " to 15" of snow predicted for the entirety of New England. Less coastal flooding and wind, however.
For those of you not familiar with this type of storm, think slightly less than a hurricane with snow and possible blizzard conditions. We're a hearty bunch here in the Northeast. Snow plowing is beginning to cost a lot of money. It's starting to effect the LP collection.

Doc

I was just watching that Doc. Looks like you are only getting hit with a fraction of its potential to boot. Can’t imagine what the full wallop would pack.

This is getting out of hand and spring is "around the corner." I lost power for about 36 hours with the second northeastern.

Looks like it may become a blizzard. The wind is strong enough and visibility is not very far. It just has to last for at least 3hrs. I think we'll make it. I can wait for the T-shirt, "I survived the Blizzard of '18".

Doc

Last edited:
It is what it is...but like the old man said, this one has hardly any wind gusts that cause flooding. Storm surge is a bitch when you live live the ocean & bays.

The silver lining in this cloud is, it's good for sugar makers. Anything that delays the trees budding and the peepers peeping is usually a good thing. The weather has been excellent so far, at least for making syrup.

It is what it is...but like the old man said, this one has hardly any wind gusts that cause flooding. Storm surge is a bitch when you live live the ocean & bays.

It has more to do with the tides than the wind. We have plenty of wind at the NH coast. The tides are favorable this time around. Not so for the last two. I know a bit about the ocean.;)

Doc

The silver lining in this cloud is, it's good for sugar makers. Anything that delays the trees budding and the peepers peeping is usually a good thing. The weather has been excellent so far, at least for making syrup.

It has more to do with the tides than the wind. We have plenty of wind at the NH coast. The tides are favorable this time around. Not so for the last two. I know a bit about the ocean.;)

Doc
Of that I have no doubt Hank, but when we have sustained high winds from a storm system coming off the ocean, those winds hop over the barrier islands and the storm surge digs down into the bay water, pushes it westward, and wreaks havoc on all the estuaries and lagoons. There are very few sewer systems in most of the NJ waterfront communities because of the high water table...the sewers drain directly into the lagoons & bays...so when all that water rushes in and fills them to the top of the docks, the water goes in reverse through the sewers and floods all the roads and houses. The full moon just compounds the whole ordeal at high tide....like what happened during Sandy. The barrier islands are a blessing and a curse. Last week was a mini Sandy that had more to do with wind than rain down here. We didn't get hammered like you guys up North with the moisture, but add in the full moon with the high winds and we were 6-7 feet over high tide last week. Flood insurance is almost unaffordable these days if you're in a 1A flood zone and your home is not set up to handle a 7-10 foot water height over high tide....which FEMA just set at a mandate. I feel for you guys up the coast. That level of flooding is something I never want to experience again.

How much did you end up with, Doc? Got what looks like close to 15" here in Li'l Rhody.

How much did you end up with, Doc? Got what looks like close to 15" here in Li'l Rhody.
I got that I think, and it's still snowing. Isn't the entire state of RI below sea level? If not, I still feel for ya. You flatlanders have hard time dealing with this stuff.

Doc

I got that I think, and it's still snowing. Isn't the entire state of RI below sea level? If not, I still feel for ya. You flatlanders have hard time dealing with this stuff.

Doc

Most of it :D

Still snowing here in Derry and we are over 2' now...
I'm ready for spring!
Paul

Doc, first and foremost I hope you and all affected are doing well, or at least as well as can be.

Most of us in Colorado would love to have a big push of snow right about now. We are well below the precipitation amount that lead up to the "Waldo Canyon" fire of 2012. Lots of people around here are kinda worried, no snow this winter, and a pretty wet summer, lead to lots of dry fuel going into fire season....

again, I do hope all you Yanks are making it ok, and my prayers will be with you.

T

We ended up with about 24" in my area. At least there weren't any power outages. My office manager was commenting to someone on the left coast that we have had 41" in the last 8 days. Sounds a heck of a lot worse when you hear it like that. :). There is talk of another 8-13" next week as well. no rest for the weary. Hell of a time for your snow thrower to crap out. I had to call to get this one plowed for the first time ever.

We ended up with about 24" in my area. At least there weren't any power outages. My office manager was commenting to someone on the left coast that we have had 41" in the last 8 days. Sounds a heck of a lot worse when you hear it like that. :). There is talk of another 8-13" next week as well. no rest for the weary. Hell of a time for your snow thrower to crap out. I had to call to get this one plowed for the first time ever.

Damn, that's a lot of snow. 41 inches, is what we've gotten........in the past 7-8 years.