• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Any experience with medical procedures on your back?

I’ve been dealing with some back pain myself Jeff, so in a way I feel your pain. I don’t know why it started though. I probably lifted something wrong. I’ve been trying exercises, heat, ice, being very specific on ways I move or sit. I’ve even gone the route of ibuprofen and flexiril at night for a couple nights, along with the heat to see if that fixes it.

It’s nothing that keeps me from the day to day though. This morning it just feels a little “sore” as opposed to the occasional sharp pain but like I said I’m being very specific with my movements. I feel like there is a chance it will get better, because I really don’t want to deal with X-rays, mri’s, physical therapy etc.

It does however, suck!
When I played golf competitively I struggled to play multiple days in a row. I eventually found a series of stretches that really helped. I have now found that I also sub-consciously changed my golf swing to accommodate the pain but I know the stretches helped.

LMK if I can help you with some good stretches.

Obviously the pain is there for a reason, and if you kill the pain, you still have the underlying condition… The best advice he can give is to combine the RFA with exercises that increase the size of the muscles in the back, along with proper stretch techniques, thereby supporting the spine more, and increasing the distance between the levels.
YES!

Well, it appears I am in for a roller coaster ride. Thursday evening was good, Friday was good, Saturday was not so good, Sunday was bad, today is back to painful. But! ..........They did tell me that it could take as long as two weeks for the injection to have full effect?

Why so long for it to take effect? I did pretty good today, came home and hit the hot tub, and it was better. Up until a few minutes ago. Right now it feels like everything is in its right spot, just a little sore, and a little worse if I make the wrong move.

I’m am sure it’s nothing like yours Jeff, but I am fucking tired of it.

Well, it appears I am in for a roller coaster ride. Thursday evening was good, Friday was good, Saturday was not so good, Sunday was bad, today is back to painful. But! ..........They did tell me that it could take as long as two weeks for the injection to have full effect?
Injections I got never did shit, hopefully you have better luck. 🤞

Why so long for it to take effect? I did pretty good today, came home and hit the hot tub, and it was better. Up until a few minutes ago. Right now it feels like everything is in its right spot, just a little sore, and a little worse if I make the wrong move.

I’m am sure it’s nothing like yours Jeff, but I am fucking tired of it.
I guess everybody reacts different 2 steroids. I seem to react very quickly to them. Others take an extended period of time

I had an epidural injection Thursday in my back, they injected pain medication and steroid.

They are now talking about doing radio frequency ablation, which if I understand correctly, is to kill the nerves since I am walking around bone on bone.

While I understand that it will relieve my pain, I can't help but Wonder if I will just be doing more damage?

Does anyone have any experience with this procedure?

View attachment 78127
I do have experience with it.

Back surgery in 2007, three level cervical fusion 2021, and lumbar surgery again in Nov 2021. Lots of football, dirt bike wrecks and crap like that.

First thing first. The steroid and medicine (caudal epidural) you just had need time to work. Sometimes they take a week plus depending on the patient and a host of variables. They’re also repeatable and most places will give you a series of three of those over a 90 day period.

Unfortunately you may be in a spot where you won’t find any relief from that procedure.

I had what you are talking about done in Orlando back in 2012. Absolutely incredible procedure. Other than steroids, which can’t be taken for long periods. It was the only thing that fixed my pain. Different docs refer to it as different things. From a nerve block to nerve freeze to burning of a nerve. I believe Brad nailed it earlier in this thread. The way it was explained to me was that it took the branches of the tree and cut them back or freezes / burns them off. This doesn’t bother the root of the nerve. Only the branches that are causing the pain. I had drop foot weakness in one of my feet. I was instantly relieved for many years.

What I believe I was told was that tree will branch again and that nerve will grow back. But not in the same way it was before. I had trouble finding anybody else that would do that nerve block / freeze for me again. It seemed like a one and done thing. Because the issue becomes that even though they burn the nerve off. You still have a jacked up back. People carry on and don’t feel the pain thus making the condition worse. You’re lifting much more weight than you should without feeling any warning. If you have this done more than once you can make your condition much worse than it already was. Causing need for a much more serious surgery.

I remember the doctor telling me that after she did it I still had back problems. I was not to lift more than 20 pounds. Lift with legs only. Do physical therapy and workout to specifically strengthen my core. I took it seriously for a month but I felt 18 again and pain free. You can’t tell a man not to lift more than 20 pounds. So I lived my life. Until I was back in the same predicament. It lasted for almost ten years before I broke down and had a second surgery.

Any questions feel free to dm or I’m sure you have my phone and email. Here to help in any way I can.

Biggest thing you can do right this minute imo…that could eventually provide you some relief is stretch. Those hamstrings need to be stretched big time. You have pain around that lower L4-S2. The muscle atrophy on top of that trauma back there itself is as bad as the degenerative disc / arthritic condition you got going on. If you can get that relived you can feel a little better. In theory.

Best of luck to you sir. Hate you’re going thru it, but there is light and it sounds like you’re on the right path.

Edited: I’m not a doctor…nor do I play one on cigarpass or cigar page🤣. Just a dude that’s lived through some back struggles.

Last edited:
Would a laminectomy help? I’m not sure if they do that as a standalone procedure or if it’s always done with a type of fusion though.

Personal opinion: discectomy and laminectomy could be very beneficial. Depends on what is left in his degeneration to work with. Ive had a laminectomy/discectomy twice. Without fusion in my lumbar. World of difference. Fusion I had was cervical. They’ve always asked to fuse my lumbar but I won’t let them.

At this juncture imo he has other options. And needs to start with serious stretching and letting the caudal epidural kick in.

You will hear a lot of haters about back surgery. I interviewed doctors. I chose neurosurgeons over orthopedic surgeons. Imo an orthopedic fixes bones and fractures. A neurosurgeon is a nerve / brain surgeon. I want the artist working on the intersection of where all my nerves connect. My spinal cord. Everything comes from there to your arms and legs. Right on? I had great experiences with surgery. But unfortunately God gave me a bad back. Could be way worse so I count it as a blessing.

Sorry to be overly detailed. But I’m just expressing my experiences. Actually I’m gonna shut up lol. Happy hour with a customer this afternoon. I’ll politely disappear. 😂

Would a laminectomy help? I’m not sure if they do that as a standalone procedure or if it’s always done with a type of fusion though.
Personal opinion: discectomy and laminectomy could be very beneficial. Depends on what is left in his degeneration to work with. Ive had a laminectomy/discectomy twice. Without fusion in my lumbar. World of difference. Fusion I had was cervical. They’ve always asked to fuse my lumbar but I won’t let them.

At this juncture imo he has other options. And needs to start with serious stretching and letting the caudal epidural kick in.

You will hear a lot of haters about back surgery. I interviewed doctors. I chose neurosurgeons over orthopedic surgeons. Imo an orthopedic fixes bones and fractures. A neurosurgeon is a nerve / brain surgeon. I want the artist working on the intersection of where all my nerves connect. My spinal cord. Everything comes from there to your arms and legs. Right on? I had great experiences with surgery. But unfortunately God gave me a bad back. Could be way worse so I count it as a blessing.

Sorry to be overly detailed. But I’m just expressing my experiences. Actually I’m gonna shut up lol. Happy hour with a customer this afternoon. I’ll politely disappear. 😂
Holy shit, you guys are scaring me.

An addadicktome and lopadickoffame?

Seriously, though. I really appreciate all the input. And I am taking every bit of it too heart

Holy shit, you guys are scaring me.

An addadicktome and lopadickoffame?

Seriously, though. I really appreciate all the input. And I am taking every bit of it too heart

Would dropping weight help? Serious question.

Weight loss is always a good plan regardless. Discectomy is where they remove a bad disc I believe but I’m not sure they always replace it with something.

Laminectomy is where they cut the sheath that surrounds the spinal cord so that the nerves that maybe are impinged by it aren’t anymore.

But if you want to never have a surgery just go watch…ah hell nevermind. If you figure it out don’t watch it. Unless you don’t get bothered by that stuff. It doesn’t bother me but that’s me I guess lol. Pain doesn’t do it for me, when push comes to shove I’ll do anything to get rid of it.

Went to bed last night with ice on it, woke up this morning feeling great. It’s still there not noticeably better.

I’ve adjusted my posture in my chair at work and in the truck to be slightly more upright, or at least to a point where the pain is less severe or not at all. That has probably made the biggest difference so far. That and not overdoing it.

I really overdid it Tuesday night, to the point I thought I might have messed up any progress I had made. But maybe it put something back in place that was out of place. I had a similar experience a few months ago with my knee, again on a Tuesday night where I did something and said “oh shit, that’s gonna be bad tomorrow” and it was the exact opposite.

Hopefully your procedure is helping as well Jeff. I’ve had the steroid injection in my knee a couple times and while it doesn’t hurt it does feel weird as heck for awhile. It also takes a little time to take effect.

With respect to the back, I’m just going to try and take it easy and some more spa therapy and see if I can get it to subside completely.

A very kind PM from an awesome brother reminded me that I should update this. Thanks Floyd @SKYDIVNEKD

So far there is a ton of good and a little weird.

I walked out of the hospital saying my left leg felt like it belonged to someone else, I found my leg and back feeling different or being in a different place than I had become accustomed to. Very weird!

Monday, following the procedure, I felt good but a little pain from the burning of the nerve endings. Tuesday, a little more site pain but I felt like a new man. Yesterday, I started to get a few twinges of the old pain/numbness.

It was strange in that the doc kept telling me what she was about to do and asking me to describe the location and feeling I was getting ..... she kept saying "good!"

I find myself walking normally which I haven't done in 6 months and it feels great!