• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Best place to buy computer parts?

rnccen

I don't have a title
Hey guys,

I need 2 new computers...I thought about building my own but I need a vendor that is reputable & has good prices.

My PII 350 mhz finally gave up and died, I am now left with a PII 400 mhz, I guess it is about time to move up to the modern age of computing.

Basically, I am looking to build or buy two P4's or Athalon's w/a min of 2.0 GHz or more, 1 GB of memory, 80 GB HD, DVD + - R/RW, 128 MB Video Card w/tv out.

I looked at Dell & Gateway but was not to keen on what they had to offer. So if someone can help me out, point me in the right direction, sell me parts, trade for parts or computers, etc.... let me know.

Thanks,

Paul

Try this outfit.

DWFSmall.jpg

At least they have a good ad. :p

DWF Computers without a doubt!! :thumbs:

He knows what he's doing and can get you anything you want or need ;)

DaveWF would be the first choice ;)

But if you have access to a local Fry's Electronics (outpost.com) they run some of the best specials I've ever seen... Yesterday was an Athlon 2700+ with nForce2 chipset, and dual channel memory support motherboard for $69 :0
Nvidia 5200FX 8x AGP 128mb cards with TV out for $59 (or less sometimes)
120gb Maxtor HD $59
ATX Case w/300w PS $20 (-$20 rebate = $0)
Keyboard $1.99
Optical mouse $2.99
52x CDRW $19.99
8x DVDR $69

just some of the deals... of course, you can always turn to pricewatch.com and see whats out there.

A great source for AMD (athlon) support is amdforums.com

GOOD LUCK!

Thanks to the people that are singing my praises (I'm the DWF in DWF Computers :D ) Check out my Products Page for my BASE system. Everything is, of course, upgradeable. Do you currently have two systems, or are you upgrading from one to two. Reason I ask is, I have a "box only" upgrade option. Basicaly, you get "just the box" - no keyboard, mouse, speakers, or monitor. If you're upgrading, you already have all that stuff!
To give you a basic idea... my base complete system is $799
My base box-only upgrade special is only $669.
And of course, all my hardware comes with a 2-year limited warranty.
BTW, since you're talking about 2 computers at once, I can give you a bit of a discount ($25) off the 2nd system.

Assuming you're interested shoot me an email with the exact specs you're looking for and I can work up a quote for you. Dave@GreatComputerService.com

Thanks!
Dave ;)

There are lots of good companies to buy parts from. A few that come to mind:

www.newegg.com
www.mwave.com
www.dell.com (with the occasional discount they sometimes have great deals on parts)

The folks at this forum are usually all over the tech deals:
AnandTech Hot Deals forum

If you don't mind me asking, why do you need 2 powerful machines? The reason I ask is because if one is for light Multimedia, Office, and light gaming, you could spend less on that puter, and put the rest of the money into a kick ass system. Here are my 2 main computers:

System 1
Athlon 700
320 MB RAM
TNT 32 MB Video card
SB Live Sound Card
DVD player
NIC
1 4Gig WD Caviar HD (core progs)
1 8Gig WD Caviar HD (games/apps)
1 20Gig WD Caviar HD (files)
For a while, I was just using this as a test bed for different stuff. I am going to bring it to the ship for gaming and file sharing. On the 4 Gig drive I loaded up Windows and the core applications I will be using such as Office, Photoshop, DVD player, etc. The 8 Gig will be for all my Gaming programs, and the 20 Gig will be for file sharing. It will be the only Desktop hooked up to a network of about 6-8 gaming Laptops. I tested it runing Everquest and having 3 other laptops playing the game and also accessing the music on my file sharing drive. The computer was able to play the game with minimum lag. Eventually I am going to install an internal DVD writer.

System 2
Pentium 1.8
256 MB RAM
ATI Radeon 64MB video card
SB Live Sound Card
NIC
DSL Modem
CD Burner
Adaptec UW SCSI Adapter
1 IBM SCSI 10K rpm 17Gig HD (OS/Apps)
2 WD SCSI Enterprise 4Gig HD (Music/Vids)
This is my main computer. I don't have much as far as games installed(that's happening next weekend). But I use this for Office apps mostly. Word, Excel, Photoshop, File Sharing, etc. My CDR is my only IDE drive. The most demanding test I have done on it was playing a Java game at Yahoo, downloading/uploading files with Lime Wire, burning a CD from the HD, and editing 2 pics on Photoshop at the same time. It never slowed down, hiccuped, glitched, etc... If I ever have to reload Windows, Windows and apps are going on the small drive, and the other 2 for games and file sharing.

Building one system around the 2 GHz processor, maxed out on RAM will run just about anything you could want. My suggestion is, if you aren't going to be crunching a lot of data, save on one system, and look at getting 2 or more high RPM SCSI drives for your high end system. I am sure you will see the difference when you are trying to burn DVD's and run other progs. That's my 2 cents.

Emo

Thanks for the info Emodx, It is not that I need 2 powerfull systems...I assumed that if was able to build/buy 2 very good systems they would last me for a long period of time.

I have gotten by with my PII 350 & PII 400 since 97-98, the 350 just died and the 400 is on its last legs. I am not particular on brand or speed..just something that will run the latest app's & game's.

Did you build yours or buy your systems?

BTW thank you to all for the sites you advised of.. :D

Rnccen

rnccen said:
Thanks for the info Emodx, It is not that I need 2 powerfull systems...I assumed that if was able to build/buy 2 very good systems they would last me for a long period of time.

I have gotten by with my PII 350 & PII 400 since 97-98, the 350 just died and the 400 is on its last legs. I am not particular on brand or speed..just something that will run the latest app's & game's.

Did you build yours or buy your systems?

BTW thank you to all for the sites you advised of.. :D

Rnccen
A combination. Both systems I bought originally from Gateway. The Athlon was my second computer, my first being a Pentium 200MMX. After I got my Athlon, I picked up parts here and there. It originally had the 20 Gig and 128 MB Ram, vid adapter, sound card, etc. I was able to get my hands on a second HD, and noticed my system ran faster and smoother when I had had progs on one drive, and files on the second drive. This is becuase you can have 2 drives accesing data at the same time vice one drive putting a request on hold while completing the 1st request.

Eventually I got a hold of a SCSI adapter and 2 SCSI HD's. Loaded it all up, and it was even faster. I did some research and found that the SCSI controller does all the processing for data read/write cycles. This takes that bit of processing load off the main processor. I added RAM twice. It all ran well, but it did slow down when I was editing multiple photo's in Photoshop, and having Front Page and Explorer open.

So I got the Pentium to crunch numbers. I got it with everything except the 2 4 gig scsi drives. It did everything I wanted it to. But I did notice a slow down when I was burning a cd, playing poker online, uploading/downloading, and listening to music at the same time. I put the 2 scsi drives in, moved off all my vids and msuic to the small drives. Now I can't slow it down no matter what I try. I gues I could try runnin like 7 apps at a time, but I would have enough screen space to even keep em all going. LOL... The only upgrade I am going to make to this computer is maxing it out on RAM. :)

Emo

Try www.pricewatch.com Ive found some very good deals threw them for parts and whole machines if ya want

Of course DWF is going to be a great way to go but just for $hit$ and giggles you can check out TCWO too. I know a few people that have had great experiences with TCWO including a couple family members.