• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Computer Problem

emodx

Banned
I screwed up and allowed some malicious code onto my computer. Now my computer will not recognize the CD drive. Nor will Windows allow me to add another CD drive. Any ideas?

Emo

Actually, I am going to take the drive out and replace it with another cd drive. Maybe it will auto detect. But you guys think about it as I may need help later.

Emo

Make sure you go into your Control Panel/System/Hardware Manager and remove any trace of the drive in that list.

That's my problem. There is no trace of it. I suppose if I went digging in my Registry I could find out what happened. But I am no Windows engineeer, and I dont want to f-up what I still have. A lot of data I need to be able to back up. And without my burner, I am SOL.

Emo

Randyb1 said:
Try going into safe mode then look for it in your your hardware manager
It should still show regardless of safe mode or not. I am pretty sure it was malicious code, but it could have out right died.I am going to pull it tomorrow and put in a different drive. Then put this one into my test computer and see if it works. Just to be sure.

Emo

Look in your bios, if it is reported there then the drive itself should be seen by windows. If it isn't in the bios then chances are it is dead.

I second the looking for it in safe mode and PC POST. If it's showing at bootup (or in your CMOS setup) then windows SHOULD see it. If it's not, try booting windows in safe mode and removing all instances of it from the hardware manager - then reboot. If it's not seen on boot - then it's either a dead drive, a dead cable, or a dead IDE port. Let us know what you find out.

Dave

One other option is to return to the last known good profile...Windows XP has this feature (provided it is turned on)

What was it that you viewed or installed...site, software, pop up? If you can PM w/what you did I maybe able to help you remove it.

Rnccen

Actually the drive is working now. So I didn't open it up. I think the drive is dying. I will open it today just to check the connection.

Emo