• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Cuban Peso Cigar from Eastern Cuba

ricmac25

Token Cuban Guy
I have a few of these left and I decided to start the year off with one. When my parents went to Cuba in June my uncle sent me some cigars rolled on the streets of Cuba. "It's what they smoke" he said. They were 1 peso or 4 cents since there are roughly 25 pesos in a dollar. That batch had labels on them that said El Credito. After a little research it turned out that the El Credito name started in Cuba but has not been officially manufactured since the revolution. Apparently, some are still being made on the streets of Cuba.

The one I had today was brought to me in October, no band on it this time. When I first had it, it was amazing. It then went through a period of really strong ammonia smell, so i left them alone. I wanted to have one to see how they were doing. What a GREAT cigar! I guess they know what they are doing on the streets of Cuba. It was a little rough looking. A bit veiny and not clean cut on the end. The light was perfect with a nice easy draw. The smell was absolutely Cuban. You know I don't do flavors well, but I once read the phrase "substantial tobacco", I would apply that here. No nonsense, straightforward, Habano flavor. It left a pleasant after taste but it wasn't overwhelming. Suprisingly smooth considering the substantial tobacco taste it had. I have a couple from my June batch (with the actual El Credito band on them) that I'm going to let sit for at least year before I revisit.

There are a few of these out there making there way through CP, whether through trades or passes. I list them as "No name Cuban" or something like that. Those of you that have them, I would be interested in your opinion when you smoke them.

If any of you gets the chance to go to Cuba, I highly recommend trying one of their "peso cigars" if given the opportunity. I can't wait to smoke one of these with a little more time on them.

A great start to a new year.

HAPPY NEW YEAR'S EVERYONE!

Those sound great Ric!!

I think you've got a good idea to let them sit for a while longer. That will definately help.

The longer the better ;)

These little smokes are awesome!! Ric gifted me a few, and these are very nice and pleasant to smoke. They taste like a traditional cuban, and have a great draw and good burn. I would definitely recommend trying these puppies!

a fellow worker gave me 4 "peso cigars" last night...he is new here after 3 years working in cuba.

they are the ugliest looking smokes i have EVER seen... the one i had was rough finish on the wrapper and it was bent(curved) ...but the smoke itself was suprising...a nice smooth(yet strong) smoke not complex but i smoked it down to 3/4 of an inch.(from about 2:00am to about 3:30am)

nice to have someone giving me smokes at work...actually got 4 farm smokes and a sigV...nice guy(he doesnt smoke).said he paid 5$ for 25 in a bundle to his next door neighbour...at that price i could smoke em all the time.

derrek :)