• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Getting rid of adware

Rod

Administrator
Staff member
What programs do you guys use to get rid of adware and spyware?

I've used spybot and adaware, but still can't get all the crap off this machine...

Rod said:

I've used spybot and adaware, but still can't get all the crap off this machine...
I use Spy Sweeper and love it!

Some of you must be living on the edge, I've never come across anything that Spybot couldn't take care of.

AVB said:
Some of you must be living on the edge, I've never come across anything that Spybot couldn't take care of.
I'm a computer tech for a living. You can't even imagine what some poeple bring in for my to fix. There's some pretty nasty spy/malware floating around the internet, some of which isn't removable.

Fighting with that kinda stuff all day can make a guy need a cigar at the end of the day! :D

I have not found one yet that's not removable.. Howdy, I'm Horse and I'm also a tech. :D

After running upwards of 3 different anti-spyware programs for folks, the next step is to know as many of the installer files as possible. Many of the spy/malware programs will simply re-install themselves after being cleaned off using it's own installer files which are hidden away on the machine. It takes a laborious search..peeking into..every directory on the machine to find em. Do this enough, and you'll recognize every file that's supposed to be there, and every file that isn't..whether it's your own machine or a customers.

Yeah, I was responsible for 100+ machines directly, and 900 remotely at my former employer..and cleaned off hundreds of laptops for the students.

Format it! thats the best way..
some of those spy removal programs also have spy ware of their own!

I dont trust any of em.

Spy hunter is finding alot of crap the other two didn't. Hope this one does the job.

Thanks guys,
Rod

I know what you guys go through but your networks are too open if this is a problem that is always reoccuring. I have 350 nodes and another 100 or so laptops. Realtime virus scan is always on and for the laptops they can't complete the network login until the scan is done. The same for spyware scan, you boot the machine it gets scanned, if you hook to the internet updates are DL automaticly.

I'm a mean Director of Information Systems :angry: :0

AVB said:
Realtime virus scan is always on and for the laptops they can't complete the network login until the scan is done.
That is the way it should be done. However, being that only the "big wigs" really get laptops they complain that it takes too long to login :(

SpyBot has worked for me so far, at least I think it has ??? Then again I don't do much looking around anymore, just not enought time.

Rod said:

I don't use any programs to remove adware or spyware... but then again I don't run Windows... :)