• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Hirsch

nfulton

In college I worked at a micro-brewery in Cincinnati, OH. Being so close to KY, we had an enormous collection of bourbon (and SMS). This experience turned me into a boubon fan. One of my favorites was Hirsch (sp?). I was told that the distillery had been purchased and move to PA, but that they still produced small batches. It has been 5-6 years since I have even seen it behind a bar or on a shelf. Do they still distill this heavenly liquid? I miss it so.

n

edited: actually, I think it was rye.

AVB can correct me (and probably will have to :p ), but I don't believe this is distilled any longer. Assuming you are talking about AH Hirsch.

BTW, this is my favorite bourbon right now...I even put it in front of the Pappy Van Winkle 20 year Family Reserve. I can still be found, though. There are several sites that sell it and some of the PA stores also have it.

Yup, that's it. My boss would always break it out for "special occasions". Looks like I'm headed to PA!

Thanks cigardawg

n

Apparently its available...

Link

Supposedly distilled by Michter's, (Earlier known as Bomberger's) and closed in 1989.

A bit on the expensive side I'd say...they had three variations, a 20 or 21 year old about $125, and a 16 or 17 year old at $80-
zx379a.gif

and a 13 year old, which I could not find anywhere.

nfulton said:
Yup, that's it. My boss would always break it out for "special occasions". Looks like I'm headed to PA!

Thanks cigardawg

n
[snapback]287120[/snapback]​

FYI - Called the local Pennsylvania State Store (717-637-5231), they have 10 bottles of the 16/17 year old in stock, $83.19 a bottle. ($79.99 + tax)

BrewMeister said:
nfulton said:

Thanks cigardawg

n

FYI - Called the local Pennsylvania State Store (717-637-5231), they have 10 bottles of the 16/17 year old in stock, $83.19 a bottle. ($79.99 + tax)

[snapback]287126[/snapback]​

The 16 year is the one that I have had. It can be had on the internet for less, I think. I paid $50 or $60 for it in PA when I bought it over the summer.

Yep, try here.

Mucho Danke Schön Cigardawg!

That is a much better price. So cheap I had to order two... :whistling:

Now the wait to see if they actually ship it...

Thanks again.

I've had the 16yr most recently...still been a while...but on my last day at work, three of us sat down and finished a bottle of the 21yr and some fuente sun growns (compliments of the idiot owner! :whistling: ). In fact, that was my second cigar experience. The first was a port tasting in the same bar.

Some shit jobs have perks :D !

n

and thanks for the links...much appreciated.

The older A.H. Hirsch was distilled at the Michters distillery (located in Schaefferstown, Pennsylvania) in 1974. The 16yo has been bottled three times with 3 different seals to indicate which bottling it is. This whiskey was placed into stainless steel tanks in 1990 (which stopped the aging process) but wasn't bottled immediately. The original, early '90s 16yo bottling has the script label and blue wax seal. A later bottling in the mid 90's was topped with the gold wax, and a third and final bottling in 2003 is the current one sealed with gold foil seal.

All the variations of the 16, 19 (export only) and impossible to find 20 yo were from the same 1974 distillation with the older ones not put into the stainless steel tanks and bottled in 1994. Here is a pic of one of my 20's and the Hirsch Rye:
Hirsh20sm.JPG
Hirsch%20Rye%2013.JPG

As I said in my review, buy it now since it will never be made again, there is no more being held for a later release.

:0 What a price!! they don't ship to Kentucky though. Anyone want to work up a trade?

-D

cigardawg said:
BrewMeister said:
nfulton said:
Yup, that's it.  My boss would always break it out for "special occasions".  Looks like I'm headed to PA!

Thanks cigardawg

n

[snapback]287126[/snapback]​

The 16 year is the one that I have had. It can be had on the internet for less, I think. I paid $50 or $60 for it in PA when I bought it over the summer.

Yep, try here.
[snapback]287131[/snapback]​

Well lo & behold the FedEx driver brought me two new soldiers today:

hirsch.jpg

Thanks all for the help, AVB, the bottles are certainly different then the ones you have. Says it is from Frankfort, Kentucky.

The pics I put up are the 20 yo and the Rye. Read my earier post for further explanation. Your bottles say it was bottled in Frankfort not that it was distilled there. ;)

BrewMeister said:
Thanks all for the help, AVB, the bottles are certainly different then the ones you have. Says it is from Frankfort, Kentucky.[/size][/color][/font]
[snapback]290001[/snapback]​