• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

How long does nicotine stay in your system?

beyond the band

cantankerous newb
I am going to be getting a new life insurance policy such requires blood work. I smoke just about every day.
Anyone ever go through this?
How long should I stay clean?

As long as you're telling the insurance company you don't use tobacco. :(

I got a great policy from a company that ranks cigar smokers as "non-smokers". I'm not a lawyer, and you do what your conscience tells you, but imagine this scenario:

- You "clean up" long enough to pass the blood work and are issued a "non smoker" policy.
- The grim reaper makes an unfortunate and early call on you.
- Your family files for your life insurance. During the life insurance co's investigation (they all will do one), it's determined that you smoke cigars.
- The insurance company invalidates your policy on the grounds that you falsified the facts (ie, lied) to get the policy.
- Your beneficiaries don't get jack. In fact, they may be counter sued for the costs of the investigation surrounding the filing of their claim.

Maybe a stretch, but personally I'm not willing to risk my loved ones benefits if I check out early.

One man's opinion - B.B.S.

Roughly I'd say at least two weeks, maybe a little more if you're actually an everyday smoker. Find out if the company you're going with has an exception for cigar smokers or an "occasional smoker" rate which generally is for folks who smoke less than a set limit. Without getting into trouble with your agent, I'd phrase it like this, "Regarding the tobacco use, I do occasionally have a cigar if it's a guys poker night or sometimes on the golf course, is that going to be a problem?"

The perfect answer of course is that you don't want to give the insurance company a reason to deny your claim if you die and they figure out that you've been smoking cigars for quite some time and lied about it. But on the flip side, technically as long as you are clean on your urinalysis they'd have a hard time proving when you starting smoking, and your significant other could always say you had just started recently. Any detrimental activity you start up after policy inception is not your problem, as long as you didn't plan on it when you answered the questions during your exam.

I am going to be getting a new life insurance policy such requires blood work. I smoke just about every day.

Don't. You can find insurance policies that cover occasional cigar smokers. It's far better to be upfront and get a policy that will actually cover you, and not be disputed.

Don't. You can find insurance policies that cover occasional cigar smokers. It's far better to be upfront and get a policy that will actually cover you, and not be disputed.

Don't lie to the insurance company. (It's called insurance fraud.) It can get your claim denied as well as possible criminal charges in most if not all States.

Don't lie to the insurance company. (It's called insurance fraud.) It can get your claim denied as well as possible criminal charges in most if not all States.

In California, there is a two-year period after the policy effective date where the insurance company can and will look at any reason to deny a claim on life insurance. This includes falsifying information such as claiming non-nicotine use when in fact you do use nicotine products as well as withholding information such as someone leaves the doctor after being told they have cancer and immediately buys a life insurance policy but claims no health problems.

As was mentioned before, if during this two-year period you were to meet your end and the investigation can show that you listed yourself as non-nicotine but in fact were a cigar smoker, then your family/beneficiary will not receive a penny of the life insurance benefit. They will however receive a refund of any premiums paid from the effective date of the policy up to the date of your demise.

In my professional opinion it is not worth risking your family's financial future on the roll of that dice.

Danny

When I saw the topic, I was going to weigh in on this but there several good responses here already.

Like they said, don't do it. It ain't worth it.

G-

I got a great policy from a company that ranks cigar smokers as "non-smokers". I'm not a lawyer, and you do what your conscience tells you, but imagine this scenario:

- You "clean up" long enough to pass the blood work and are issued a "non smoker" policy.
- The grim reaper makes an unfortunate and early call on you.
- Your family files for your life insurance. During the life insurance co's investigation (they all will do one), it's determined that you smoke cigars.
- The insurance company invalidates your policy on the grounds that you falsified the facts (ie, lied) to get the policy.
- Your beneficiaries don't get jack. In fact, they may be counter sued for the costs of the investigation surrounding the filing of their claim.

Maybe a stretch, but personally I'm not willing to risk my loved ones benefits if I check out early.

One man's opinion - B.B.S.

The "contestable period" for life insurance policies is two years. They cannot deny a claim for information they find out to be wrong after that.

Many life insurance companies do not consider cigar smoking, dip, chewing, etc. "smoking."

beyond the band, are you getting a whole life policy or term? There are many companies that offer term polices that DO NOT require full underwriting (which included a full medical exam). If I were you, I'd avoid a medical exam at all costs because if you go through that and get denied, that's a bell you can't "un-ring" and it's something you will always have to disclose when applying for any other life insurance policies.

Should't buy whole life anyway. It's a piss poor investment.

Doc.

Shouldn't buy whole life anyway. It's a piss poor investment.

Doc.

I agree 100% ;) IMO, term policies with no medical exam are the way to go. Hell, you can even add disability and return of premium riders if you want. There are other options too (like universal life) but they get pricey.

It is true, you usually have a 2 year incontestability period, to where after 2 years, you are granted full benefits no matter what, ie suicide, tobacco use, lying about pre-existing conditons, etc.

I can tell you from my perspective, as I'm a district manager for a HUGE insurance company, that you cannot be sued by a reputable company, or denied claims based on a lie about tobacco use. This is what will happen though....

...your total benefit (paid on death) will be reduced to the amount you would have paid for premiums if you were in fact a tobacco user (on your application). Thus, if you die within 2 years, you will be granted the benefit amount, minus the extra cost you should have paid for a tobacco user (if you get caught). However, it's nearly impossible to be caught for smoking cigars or tobacco, and having the insurance company say you were a tobaccos user. There are many, many instances where there is a legit non smoker who turns to a casual smoker, or just hangs out around tobacco users, and doesn't actually smoke. Now, it's in their blood right? And their hair? Yes. So they basically need to have proof that you were a smoker for them to do such a thing....tough to do unless you leave a huge trail!

I personally wouldn't lie about it, as there are specific policies for us, but do what you wish. Whether it be whole life, term, or ROP, just choose your proper benefit amount, and use your head. Just don't get caught when you die!!! :sign:

My 2 pennies.

Edited to add: PM me with any further questions if you have them! More than happy to elaborate.

It is true, you usually have a 2 year incontestability period, to where after 2 years, you are granted full benefits no matter what, ie suicide, tobacco use, lying about pre-existing conditons, etc.

I can tell you from my perspective, as I'm a district manager for a HUGE insurance company, that you cannot be sued by a reputable company, or denied claims based on a lie about tobacco use. This is what will happen though....

...your total benefit (paid on death) will be reduced to the amount you would have paid for premiums if you were in fact a tobacco user (on your application). Thus, if you die within 2 years, you will be granted the benefit amount, minus the extra cost you should have paid for a tobacco user (if you get caught). However, it's nearly impossible to be caught for smoking cigars or tobacco, and having the insurance company say you were a tobaccos user. There are many, many instances where there is a legit non smoker who turns to a casual smoker, or just hangs out around tobacco users, and doesn't actually smoke. Now, it's in their blood right? And their hair? Yes. So they basically need to have proof that you were a smoker for them to do such a thing....tough to do unless you leave a huge trail!

I personally wouldn't lie about it, as there are specific policies for us, but do what you wish. Whether it be whole life, term, or ROP, just choose your proper benefit amount, and use your head. Just don't get caught when you die!!! :sign:

My 2 pennies.

Edited to add: PM me with any further questions if you have them! More than happy to elaborate.

However after the incontestability period is over (two years), the death benefit can't be reduced, denied nor can the policy be canceled because of tobacco use.

Your first sentence is correct (well except for the spelling error :laugh: ) but you go on to muddy the waters possibly leading readers to believe that their benefits may be reduced or denied AFTER the incontestability period which is wrong.

Thank you all for your advice.
Prudent as always. I am concerned about lying to an insurance Co. Doesn't seem right IMHO. I was not aware of the availability of the casual smokers policy.

I am looking to do this within the next six months. Will advise on the outcome.

The "contestable period" for life insurance policies is two years. They cannot deny a claim for information they find out to be wrong after that.
That's interesting, Bill. Do you know if that is a federal law, or does it (like other insurance regs) vary state by state....??

I chose to err on the side of caution. I'm also not a very good liar except about the value of cigars and firearms. "Oh, honey, I've had that old thing in the safe for years"..... :laugh:

Regards - B.B.S.

That's interesting, Bill. Do you know if that is a federal law, or does it (like other insurance regs) vary state by state....??

I chose to err on the side of caution. I'm also not a very good liar except about the value of cigars and firearms. "Oh, honey, I've had that old thing in the safe for years"..... :laugh:

Regards - B.B.S.

:D Ah, an interesting question Tom! In 1945, Congress passed the McCarran-Ferguson Act which gives the individual states (oh "Commonwealths" for you Massachusetts, Virginia & Kentucky people and "Plantation" for you Rhode Island guys) the power to regulate and control the insurance industry. In 1871, the National Association of Insurance Commissioners was formed for the purpose of providing uniformity and consistency for insurance regulations which is why most state's regulations and statutes are essentially identical to one another. Presently, in Connecticut, the insurance statutes are all under Title 38a of the Connecticut General Statutes.

Regarding the incontestability clause, it only applies to the life insurance death benefit and not the accidental death or disability provisions. There are three provisions that void the incontestability clause and none of them have anything to do with tobacco use:
1. Impersonation
2. No insurable interest
3. Intent to murder