• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

:Monty:

:Monty:

A couple of weeks ago we had a tornado touch down in CT. For any of you who don't live in the tri-state area this is NOT a regular occurrence. I live in a small beach community on long Island sound and we were absolutely torn apart. Luckily there was no damage done to our home but it was unbelievable to see 100 year old trees uprooted on every single block. Sidewalks were torn up and there wasn't a single street that wasnt blocked from down trees or powerlines.

The area I live in is basically a small peninsula. There are only two roads to get out there, one of which is about 1.5 miles long across some preserved wetlands. It's a local mecca for bird watchers. The following day i was driving to get some breakfast (we had no power for almost four days) and on the way to the diner about a mile past the wetlands I saw something on the side of the road in someone's front yard that looked like a large bird. I had just caught it out of the corner of my eye and kept driving. After breakfast I slowed down on the way home and saw what was obviously a baby water bird of some type. I kept driving just kind of hoping the thing was an adolescent and would get along on its own.

After spending a few hours back at the house I took a drive by again and the thing was still just standing there in the same place. I'm kind of a softy and couldn't just let it sit out there in the hot sun or meet its maker in the street, so I called our local animal control. They gave me the name of a local wildlife rescue. I figure they would come pick the thing up but noooo. They told me I had to bring it in but they would give it complete care, rehab and release. So next thing you know I'm throwing a blanket over a baby bird and throwing it in a box on the side of a busy street. Crazy, but who knew I possessed this inner bird whisperer talent and the thing relaxed and went right in the box.

So now the bird's in a box, seat belted in the backseat of my car and I'm driving the 35 minutes or so into east butthole nowhere to this wildlife sanctuary. Now im expecting to show up at some crazy bird-lady house but was surprised by the awesome facility that was there(http://www.wildlifeincrisis.com/). I walked up to the door and there was a sign that read "please close the door quickly so the duck doesn't get out". I opened the door and closed it quickly as directed and found myself alone with a Duck, one legged Sea Gull, and a DEER sitting in the waiting room! My wife was at work so I had to text her this pic so she would believe me. Crazy...

So it turns out the bird I rescued was a Night Heron which is a threatened species. It was quite an adventure...

Here are a couple of pictures with the Vet holding it.

And here's a random full grown Night Heron

Sorry to hear about all the damage in your hood. That is very cool that you saved the bird. What did the vet say? When will it be alright to release into the wild?

That's awesome brother, kudos to you for a deed well done!

Sorry to hear about all the damage in your hood. That is very cool that you saved the bird. What did the vet say? When will it be alright to release into the wild?

She said it looked healthy and they would raise it until its an adult. Then they have these outdoor birdhouses where they develop their flight muscles before release. Very cool stuff.

edit: grammar

Karma will do you well brother, being sensitive isn't always a bad thing. Good on you!!! :thumbs:

Wow, pretty amazing pictures, both of the damage and of the bird. I wonder if the wildlife sanctuary will let you know when the bird will be fit for release so you can be there. I know it'd be something I'd want to witness.

Karma will do you well brother, being sensitive isn't always a bad thing. Good on you!!! :thumbs:

Half the guys at my regular B&M said they would've shot it LOL. Good bunch over there :D

Half the guys at my regular B&M said they would've shot it LOL. Good bunch over there :D

They just said it to sound tough. Most of them would have not even thought about the shelter and brought it home as pet :sign:

That's pretty cool, right there. Good on you, bro! :thumbs:

Good on you, brother. We've got two orphaned sparrow chicks in our downstairs bathroom right now. The dangers of being married to a vet!