• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

My "Whiskies to Try List"

alphaiii

Here's a list of whiskies I'd like to try. There are obviously others I'd like to try, but would never spend the money for. Since there are few bars I know of with good bourbon/rye selections, I'd most likely have to buy by the bottle.

Bourbons:
W.L. Weller 19 Year Old (if I can ever find it, and depending on price)
Eagle Rare Single Barrel 17 Year Old
Van Winkle Family Reserve 15 Year Old
Elijah Craig Single Barrel 18 Year Old
Michter's Unblended American Whiskey (ok technically not bourbon)
Elmer T. Lee Single Barrel

Rye:
A.H. Hirsch Selection 13 Year Old
Van Winkle Family Reserve 13 Year Old
Michter's US-1 Straight Rye

To give you an idea of my tastes, Eagle Rare Single Barrel 10 Year Old is easily my favorite bourbon so far. I like the Van Winkle Special Reserve 12 Year Old alot too though. If cost wasn't considered, it'd be my 2nd favorite. Others I like are Buffalo Trace, Knob Creek, Evan Williams Single Barrel, and Elijah Craig 12 Year Old.

I've never had rye before, but I'd definitely like to try it.

So what would you recommend from my list, or maybe something I should have included, keeping in my that cost is a limiting factor for me? The Hirsch, Weller, and Eagle Rare 17 are kind of out of my price range, but I can splurge ever once in a long while.

Not a bad list and except for the Weller pretty easy to find. None are very expensive (under $50 for each) again except for the Weller although I would get the Hirschs sooner rather then later because they are disappearing rather quickly. Since you haven't filled out your profile (hint hint)I can't say how the stock situation is in your area.

I have relatives in PA who can special order me the Hirsch Rye from the PLCB. I visit a few times a year so I'd just have to patiently wait until then to get it. I haven't seen it anywhere that I've been in the Baltimore area. For that matter, I haven't seen the Weller either.

I haven't looked to internet sources due to the ridiculous regulations on shipping liquor into the state, just like PA.

In reading your reviews, I see you're a fan of the Eagle Rare 17 year old. I like the 10 so much that I sooner or later I'm going to have to pick up the 17. Hopefully I can find it here cheaper than the PA price.

Take a ride out to Cranberry Liquors at 405 Center St., Westminster, MD. (website) for the Eagle Rare, Hirsch rye, EC 18, and the ORVW 15. Their price on the Michter's is high though. Give them a call to make sure they have it in stock as the website is always behind. Be sure to print out the 10% off coupon before you go. I think Beltway Liquors (8727 Loch Raven Blvd) has a decent price on the Mitchter's but it has been awhile since I was there.

AVB said:
Take a ride out to Cranberry Liquors at 405 Center St., Westminster, MD. (website) for the Eagle Rare, Hirsch rye, EC 18, and the ORVW 15.  Their price on the Michter's is high though. Give them a call to make sure they have it in stock as the website is always behind. Be sure to print out the 10% off coupon before you go. I think Beltway Liquors (8727 Loch Raven Blvd) has a decent price on the Mitchter's but it has been awhile since I was there.
[snapback]244460[/snapback]​

Thanks for giving me some new places to check out. Cranberry Liquors has some decent prices on some of their stuff. The Elijah Craig 18 is a bit high (in comparison to PA prices), but the Eagle Rare 17 is a nice price with the 10% off coupon. I noticed the Rock Hill Farms Single Barrel is a good price. Have you had it before?

I actually took a short ride to Beltway Liquors today. I was a little disappointed in their Bourbon selection, but they did have the Michter's US1 Unblended American Whiskey and Rye for $28.99. I grabbed a bottle of the American Whiskey.

It's an interesting whiskey. Not a ton going on in the nose, but definitely some vanilla and what smells almost like butterscotch, maybe. The taste is light on oak, and, like the nose, is full of vanilla, to me at least. I expected this whiskey to light on oak since it's aged in used bourbon barrels for only 4 years or so. It could be a bit smoother, considering it's only 83 proof. Don't get me wrong, it's a smooth whiskey, especially for it's young age. It's just that I've had higher proog whiskeys I think are just as smooth. Overall though, its a pretty decent whiskey and a nice change of pace from the oaky Elijah Craig 12 I had been enjoying recently.

On a side note, Beltway's craft beer selection is pretty good, and single bottle buying is nice, even though a bit more expensive.

I've had some about 2 years ago but don't have any in the house at the moment. Not because it isn't a good bourbon, more because I can't afford everything and a lack of room.

alphaiii said:
....I noticed the Rock Hill Farms Single Barrel is a good price. Have you had it before?

[snapback]244790[/snapback]​

I think I paid $45/bottle for the 2 bottles of Elijah Craig I purchased a while back

Fast4Dr said:
I think I paid $45/bottle for the 2 bottles of Elijah Craig I purchased a while back
[snapback]247417[/snapback]​

I've seen it for 31.99 in one of the Montgomery County (Maryland) liquors stores, and it only runs 34.99 in PA.

Was it worth the $45? I've read some comments at the Straightbourbon.com forums and the general consensus seems to be that this bottling is very oak-heavy/smokey.

The Eagle Rare Single Barrel 17 Year Old is some good stuff.
I lean more to scotch then bourbon, but my neighbor brought this over one weekend and it was actually pretty good. :D

you need to give your neighbor my address.. :)

I'd love to find out that I could enjoy top shelf bourbon for half the price of quality scotch.. convince me! :rolleyes: