• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Observations on data mining difficulties

Cards&Gars

"Kellito"
Reaction score
Ladies and Gentlemen,

“Information Management – We all have to do it. The question is, ‘Will you do it well?’”

I really like the ability of CP to “pin” things like the Newbie Guide or the Shipping 101 manual. I especially appreciate the Island of Cuba forum and its hyperlinked guide on Cuban Cigar Box Codes. These are good examples of intuitive, well discussed, and easy to find documents of great value. Question: Would a FAQ, or reference, on questions most “new folk” ask be of any value to the members of this site? Something that may act as a ready reference to those questions most asked or information that is always referenced. Think of the advantages. It would save you time to just say, “Hey Noob, go to this LINK and your question will be answered. If you have anymore questions…ask Cards&Gars.” It will also provide a place for a select list of moderators to post/add great nuggets of wisdom or updated lists of favorite cigars.

I believe that the Smoke Ring ( http://www.thesmokering.com/forum/index.php ) has a pretty good format for this as an example.

I don’t claim to be an expert on web design, actually I know nothing at all, so I am not sure how labor intensive this would be initially. But I bet if references were readily available and easily updated, it would save both FOGs and Noobs a great deal of time.

Being a new member of CP, I appreciate what Ginseng, Wurm, and many other long time members have said about proper etiquette for all – new and old to CP. I also appreciate the help that has been given to me thus far. Over the last couple of days I have tried to:
1. Sift through the enormous amounts of information that many of you have been selflessly willing to share. (I appreciate the amount of time, collectively, to amass and distribute these pearls of wisdom.) But this ain’t no easy task.
2. Ask what I think is the right question, in the right context as to not offend. (Thus prompting a response that will, hopefully, satisfy my inquiry.)
3. Contribute, where and when I think appropriate, to the collective process.

The above quote about “information management” is how I begin one of the seminars I facilitate and present to our armed forces and its leadership. Ever wonder why we are doomed to make the same mistakes militarily? It is because we lost the sticky note that reminds us “Never invade Russsia in the winter.” or “Never get involved in a land war in Asia.” There is a lot of great information out there. Would it be a more valuable resource if it were more easily attainable?

…I am now ducking under my 18 inches of cover… waiting for the incoming rounds…

Respectfully,

-C&G