• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Potato Vodka?

TOFan

Can anyone recommend a good potato vodka for making mixed drinks with? We are throwing a party during Passover and a few of our guests are kosher.

A good friend is Orthodox, but a drinker. I'll get back to you as soon as he gives me some input.

WWW.ColdRiverVodka.Com

Don't know if it's Kosher, but it is made from potatoes.

Michael

Not sure if they're kosher but there are two excellent potato vodkas distilled in Rigby, Idaho. Blue Ice and Teton Glacier.

AVB, interesting read, thanks. I am by no means an expert int eh laws of Kashrut nor those that surround Passover, but just because something is Kosher (like the Vodkas mentioned), they are not neccesarily Kosher for Passover.
That aside, I've been known to eat a shrimp salad sandwich during passover, so 'm not exactly one to talk (Shrimp is never kosher, and you can't eat bread during passover).

I've never heard of different levels of Kosherness but, like you, I'm not an expert either.

I have no clue about Kosherness more or less. I just did a quick meta search and it appears there is a differentiation made for items during Passover. That being said here is a link to a listing of vodkas approved for Passover.

The link is a bit hinky, here is the list in case that doesn't work:

Q: Can one imbibe vodka without a reliable Kosher certification?

ANSWER:
All unflavored may be used, with the exception of vodkas which are derived from grapes, such as Hangar One and Ciroc, and those made from milk such as Vermont Spirits’ White Vodka.

Flavored vodka must bear certification.

The following vodkas are certified Kosher Parve when bearing the OU symbol:
- Canadian Iceberg Vodka
- Goldenbarr Chocolate Vodka
- Jelinek Plum Vodka
- Mishka Citron Vodka
- Mishka Orange Vodka
- Mishka Vodka
- Moskovskaya Imported Russian Vodka
- Nemiroff Vodka
- Pravda Vodka
- Silver Creek Liquid Ice Vodka
- Stolichnaya Cinnamon Flavored Vodka
- Stolichnaya Coffee Flavored Vodka
- Stolichnaya Elit Vodka
- Stolichnaya Gold Premium Imported Russian Vodka
- Stolichnaya Imported Russian Vodka
- Stolichnaya Lemon Flavored Vodka
- Stolichnaya Orange Flavored Vodka
- Stolichnaya Peach Flavored Vodka
- Stolichnaya Raspberry Flavored Vodka
- Stolichnaya Strawberry Flavored Vodka
- Stolichnaya Vanilla Flavored Vodka
- Todhunter Vodka

The following Vodkas are certified Kosher Parve for Passover and year-round use when bearing the OU-P or OU-Kosher for Passover symbol:
- Binyamina Vodka Peisachkova
- Binyamina Vodka Shapovalov
- Carmel Vodka 80 Proof (Mevushal)
- Carmel Vodka 80 Proof (Mevushal)
- Kedem Vodka
- Sabra Products Seagram Vodka
- Speed Bar Vodka
- Spirits Caramel Citron Vodka (Mevushal)
- Spirits Caramel Vodka (Mevushal)
- Spirits Vodka Stopka 100 Ml (Mevushal)

Hope that helps...

Great info however it seems there are some other concerns to members here too:

Do flavored tobaccos, such as those used in Nargila, require Hashgacha?

* ANSWER:

Nargila tobacco, which is nicotine free, is available in numerous “flavors”. This product does not require Hashgacha when smoked, as smoking is not Halachically (by Jewish law) considered consumption, and therefore is not a kosher concern. However, the practice of smoking in general raises serious halakhic issues, and we strongly recommend consulting with your local learned Orthodox Rabbi about the issue of smoking.

I don't know what most of that means (my Hebrew School teachers would be so disappointed), but good thing I don't keep kosher! Then again, i think my Rabbi smokes cigars.