• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Question from newbie

Certifried

Greetings,

I've enjoyed cigars throughout the years, but have only recently started to really becom e an enthusiast. One of the first things I've done is order a few cigars to start building my "stash". I ordered a box of Te-Amo Aniversario Toro Maduros. Now I need to find out what to do with them since I can't smoke them all at once. They came in a beautiful box and are all individually wrapped.

Is it better to leave them in the box or move them to my humidor? I would assume (uh oh, bad word) that it's safe to leave them in the box since they're all wrapped, but I want to find out what the experts think!

Please provide suggestions. Thank you all very much and I look forward to learning more and more each day.

If you're just asking if you can put a box of cigars into a humidor, the answer is yes. If the chioce is between leaving the box in a non-humidity controlled environment and putting it in the humidor, you must put it in a humidor if you're going to keep the sticks for more than a day.

Thank you for your responses. I'm going to go ahead and take them out of the box and put them in the humidor. It's just a smaller humidor so the nice wooden cigar box would fit but not leave room for much else.

The second part then is if I should leave them wrapped in their cellophane wrappers or take them out? I know that probably sounds like a silly question, but I just want to make sure I have them in the best environment to keep them fresh. I would, once again, assume that leaving them wrapped is best.

I'm sure there has to be a good website with all of these questions but I have yet to find it. If anyone knows of one, please post the link for me.

should leave them wrapped in their cellophane wrappers or take them out

From everything that I've read, and what I've seen, all I can tell you is to do which ever you'd prefer, but it really won't make any difference as far as having any effect on the condition of your cigars. Personally, I take them out of the cellophane when they are loose, and leave them in when I store them in the box.

It's just a matter of personal preference, I believe.

Certifried said:
The second part then is if I should leave them wrapped in their cellophane wrappers or take them out? I know that probably sounds like a silly question, but I just want to make sure I have them in the best environment to keep them fresh. I would, once again, assume that leaving them wrapped is best.
Not at all. It's actually a common debate in the cigar world.

I personally keep them wrapped cos a) it protects them better when you handle them (like say when you reorganize your stash) and b) I find that the cello buffers the changes in humidity. For example once one of my storage containers got pretty dry. I found that the wrapped sticks fared much better than their naked counterparts.

Yes, this is an age-old question that get asked quite often but I think Lumby sums it up the best:
I personally keep them wrapped cos a) it protects them better when you handle them (like say when you reorganize your stash) and b) I find that the cello buffers the changes in humidity. For example once one of my storage containers got pretty dry. I found that the wrapped sticks fared much better than their naked counterparts.
I concur with that 100% :thumbs:

Thank you for all the responses, and especially the cigar.about.com link. There is alot of information there, should keep me busy for a few hours at least. There is so much to learn!

Oh by the way Mark:

WELCOME TO CP !!!

A very good friend of mine named Mark Nielsen ran for Congress here in Connecticut in 1998 & 2000.

That's not you is it? :sign: :sign:

Glad you joined up here and I hope we see you around more often :thumbs:

thank you CC :) no, the only politics I was ever involved in was the being on the good side of an M-249 (our platoons SAW gunner). I guess I was a bit of ambassador too seeing as the Army saw fit to teach me to speak/read/write/understand the Arabic language.

Thanks for the welcome ;)

For some reason, seeing these questions coming from newbies always brings a smile to my face. Kind of like watching a kid learn to ride a bike I guess.

Anyway, Certifried....welcome aboard. You'll find this an absolutely awesome forum, filled with just about some of the greatest buddies you could come across.