• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Residue at the bottom of my coffee cup?

sir-smokes-a-lot

A Freudian Slip in progress
Hey Barista Boys / Coffee Aficionados, question for you.

Have a Black and Decker 'Cup At A Time' coffeemaker in my dorm room. Has a built in gold-wire filter that I rinse out. Use it to make my morning cups of coffee.
Recently noticed that when I get to the bottom of the cup thhere's some residue at the bottom and the last few sips taste funny....
Anyone know what this is and can I fix it?

thanks

I notice that also when I get to the bottom of my cup. I always thought it was from the coffee sitting too long (like I did not drink the cup fast enough) I use a pretty big coffee mug. I just swirl the last bit around at the bottom and then it don't look or taste so bad.

Or, leave a spoon in it as you drink it, then you could mix it as you drink it.

That's just fine particulate matter that comes through the filter during brewing. When you grind the beans, you're pulverizing them, which tends to produce all manner of sized detrius. (I'm baiting CC people. :whistling: )

The gold filters tend to let through A LOT more stuff than paper filters - namely the oils that are brought to the surface during roasting. That's why a cup of coffee tends to taste differently when filtered through a paper filter vs. a gold one.

Just don't drink all of the coffee in your mug and you'll be fine. Unless you really do enjoy extremely bitter flavors.

If you want to see residue, try a cup of French Pressed coffee. That'll make you raise your eyebrows... :0

You'll ALWAYS have that happen with a gold filter.

Either drink it as is or use paper filters! :cool: