• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Review #3

dixieland_conjunction

If it isn't dixieland, it isn't REAL jazz
Trilogy Exotic Maduro Robusto

Total Smoking time: 35 minutes

First off, I must admit that I was confused when I bought this. I was thinking “Trinidad” when I read “Trilogy” and subsequently picked it out. However, my mistake was not a loss. I came to find through research and last night’s experience that there are pretty darned solid.

REACTIONS:
Appearance and construction: So I now realize why these are called Trilogy. They are triangle press; or supposedly they are. I’ve seen some very sharp corners/edges on several square-pressed varieties, so I found it a little surprising that these seemed almost to have started round and then flattened on three sides.

I must add a little side story to tie this in with one of my other passions; audio equipment. When I was living in the dorms I would come home quite often to visit and therefore spent quite a bit of time in the car. So, naturally, due to the space restrictions of the dorm and my frequent road trips, I was much more interested in car audio than my now preferred home audio. Now I’m not talking about all that trunk bass silliness. I was and am into quality folks. Anyway, about that time, the industry was getting pretty popular and more and more speaker manufacturers were entering into the subwoofer segment of the market. Then the gimmicks were aplenty. If it were shiny, big, or had adjectives like “power,” “super,” “max,”, “maxx,” “maxxx,” etc., then it must be good, right? Then shapes became the hot item. There was first a triangular sub by Bazooka, then a square sub by Kicker, and finally a pentagonal by Xtant. Someone on one of those forums made the point that if they kept adding sides, eventually we’d get back to the circle, which, according physics theory, is the ideal shape.

Ok, back to the cigars (that’s why we’re here :)). It was loosely wrapped, but not enough to be cheap. In fact, despite this, it was obviously a very well made cigar. It did have a fairly oily feel to it, but not extraordinarily so.

Flavor: This might be the first I’ve ever had that was overly smooth, but not noticeably creamy. I had always linked the two characteristics in my head.

Another interesting flavor entered the equation after about 20 minutes. It became sour, but not in the “almost out” sense. It was a specific citric taste; like lime; and not at all unenjoyable. Suddenly I was in the islands smoking limeade ;) I actually had to end the session a little premature for time constraints; hence my writing last night’s review now. It was hard to leave it outside.

Smoking characteristics: First, I don’t know if this triangular shape is a gimmick or not, but it sure made smoking feel unnatural at time. Obviously, regardless of which angle I turned the stick, it had an edge on either my upper or lower lip. Maybe I’m just finicky, but it was a little distracting.

It burned consistently, but not evenly. Its burning patter was looked neat. The edges of the sides did not burn as quickly as the middle of the plane. I’m not sure that makes sense. If you looked at a side, it looked like a “V.” By the time I put it out, two of the sides had started running pretty badly.

Overall: Different. In all, I was pleased, but it did have enough quirks to keep me from specifically seeking one out to purchase in the near future. The good news is that I have a Cameroon version in my humi already. So, I’m sure you hear about it eventually. The pleasant citric flavor is intriguing. This Trilogy was packed with characteristics to make me reconsider my assumptions – smoothness without creaminess, shapes, etc.

I’d give it a solid 82-84.

Cheers,
Dixie

I read about these somewhere and was very intrigued. Thanks to your cool review I'll have to try one. I've never tasted anything close to citrus so that would be interesting. Anyway thanks for another great review :)

They are decent cigars. I bet your burn problem was a moisture issue. I had one that I let sit for at least a coupla month. When I sparked it up it burned even. It never was straight, but it did hold the same plane the entire length. I didnt get the citrus taste though. All in all I would have rated roughly the same as you did.

Emo