• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

School Prayer

Toaster

Puff Puff Pass v2.0 2004
This is an email I got from a friend of mine, who's wife is a teacher.... This is not being posted to flame, promote conflict of any kind, and I do not wish to spark any kind of religious debate... Your values and faith are your own, and mine are my own...

That being said, after reading this- the fact remains, its sad but true...

:( Toaster

Now I sit me down in school
Where praying is against the rule
For this great nation under God
Finds mention of Him very odd.
If Scripture now the class recites,
It violates the Bill of Rights.
And anytime my head I bow
Becomes a Federal matter now.
Our hair can be purple, orange or green,
That's no offense; it's a freedom scene.
The law is specific, the law is precise.
Prayers spoken aloud are a serious vice.
For praying in a public hall
Might offend someone with no faith at all
In silence alone we must meditate,
God's name is prohibited by the state.
We're allowed to cuss and dress like freaks,
And pierce our noses, tongues and cheeks.
They've outlawed guns, but FIRST the Bible.
To quote the Good Book makes me liable.
We can elect a pregnant Senior Queen,
And the 'unwed daddy,' our Senior King.
It's "inappropriate" to teach right from wrong,
We're taught that such "judgments" do not belong.
We can get our condoms and birth controls,
Study witchcraft, vampires and totem poles.
But the Ten Commandments are not allowed,
No word of God must reach this crowd.
It's scary here I must confess,
When chaos reigns the school's a mess.
So, Lord, this silent plea I make:
Should I be shot; My soul please take!
Amen
If you aren't ashamed to do this, please pass this on.
Jesus said, " If you are ashamed of me," I will be ashamed
of you before my Father."
Not ashamed. Passing this on

You say you do not wish to spark any kind of religious debate. I guess that means you only want people who agree with you to comment? :sneaky:

Ok, I'm done. I don't want to start an argument.

Lets just smoke a cigar and call it even. :D

As a completely unbiased party (aka, agnostic) I can honestly say that during my time served in public schooling, I did indeed learn about "witchcraft, vampires and totem poles" as well as evolution, hinduism, Buddhism, Confucism, and even a little about Islam. But I was never taught the premise of Christianity or Judaism, and to even mention God or his associates was basically forbidden.

I guess it always seemed ironic to me.

other1 said:
You say you do not wish to spark any kind of religious debate. I guess that means you only want people who agree with you to comment? :sneaky:

Ok, I'm done. I don't want to start an argument.

Lets just smoke a cigar and call it even. :D
At what point did I say or even gesture I only wanted agreeable opinions to be posted? ???

I simply said its sad but true.

Toaster original post said:
This is an email I got from a friend of mine, who's wife is a teacher.... This is not being posted to flame, promote conflict of any kind, and I do not wish to spark any kind of religious debate... Your values and faith are your own, and mine are my own...

That being said, after reading this- the fact remains, its sad but true...

:( Toaster

Now here comes the controversy part: (These are my views, and not that of CP or any of its members. Just venting a little steam is all)

I think its shameful for the public school system in our country to forbid education or discussion of religion in our schools, which are in a country where even its own government printed currency says "IN GOD WE TRUST", and whose presidents, leaders and officials are "sworn in" before GOD, where in a court of LAW, Someone testifying is asked to touch a bible (or raise their hand) and swear to GOD to tell the truth SO HELP THEM GOD. I also find it amazing how people in GROUP A, who might believe in God, or the ten commandments, or whatever, and might want to discuss it or display that fact publicly- have to be muffled and "shut up" (or shut down, as it were) because the people who belong to GROUP B who don't believe in those same things finds it offensive, or whatever... What if GROUP A finds it offensive to NOT discuss those thing they believe in? No one seems to care about that... so long as the people in GROUP B are made happy?

Like I said in the beginning, My faith and beliefs are my own- and I'm not forcing ANYONE to see things the same way. This country was founded by people trying to escape that kind of thing... But lately it seems that being P.C., and the fear of upsetting someone (anyone) different has over taken the concepts, ideals and (yes) beliefs that this country was founded on. If someone doesn't like it here... LEAVE. Plain and Simple.

But, like YOU said- I don't want to start an argument either.... Currently smoking a cigar :D (BBF if anyone cares :thumbs: )

*note: I'm finished contributing to this thread- things like this can get ugly fast :)

I don't ever debate politics or religion in a public forum.

I'm disagree with the accuracy of the poem.

We were taught about christianity in history class just like many other religions and their impacts. We also had an elective literature class in "The Bible" that studied it as fiction - no different that "Catcher in the Rye" or "Frankenstein."

Cheers,
Dixie

dixieland_conjunction said:
I don't ever debate politics or religion in a public forum.

I'm disagree with the accuracy of the poem.

We were taught about christianity in history class just like many other religions and their impacts. We also had an elective literature class in "The Bible" that studied it as fiction - no different that "Catcher in the Rye" or "Frankenstein."

Cheers,
Dixie
Thats a first. I graduated with a class of almost 500....plenty of electives but nothing like that available.

OK... this will come out all wrong no matter how I tell it...

The main thing I remember from Catholic school is:

Catholic school girls are still virgins so long as they only do it from beh...

Do I need to finish?

No... I am not sure of the relevance... but go with god... ;)

- Oak

So group A wants to do one thing but is not allowed to do it because group B has a problem with it. How come no one says group A has a right to what they want but group B is allowed to prevent group A from doing what they want?

Sound familiar?

Sounds like group A could either be Religious people or Cigar Smokers.

So if you believe in your freedom to smoke cigars, how is this different?

Just a thought.

oak said:
OK... this will come out all wrong no matter how I tell it...

The main thing I remember from Catholic school is:

Catholic school girls are still virgins so long as they only do it from beh...

Do I need to finish?

No... I am not sure of the relevance... but go with god... ;)

- Oak
hahaha.gif
You mean "Technical Virgins"?

Religion is the parents job, church is not a building. Second guessing the Founding Fathers on freedom of (and the implied freedom from) religion is not something I think any of us are qualified to do.

Guys,

This is how I see it (probably not much different than any of you)......

There is a definite double standard when it comes to social issues:

A group in society 'chooses' to publicly display, profess, endorse their view points..a different group takes offense and wants a public lynching of the first group because the public display, professing, endorsement of their view point is slightly controversial in nature. But this is a free society, so that group gets to do as it wishes as long as it does not cause harm either individual or group.

Now, when that same group is allowed thier freedom of expression (protected by the Constitution of the United States of America) they in turn want different groups to not enjoy the same freedoms........

Interesting situation we have here. Sounds to me that there are certain segments of our society that wants a few extra freedoms and benefits than others.

Regardless of what label you put on my explanation, it does exist.......apply whatever name you wish to this scenario and check it out. This is the social enigma involved in a democratic society. The constant checks and balances are built in so that there is not any one group that dominates.

I am a Conservative Constitutionalist (I vote Republican. Although they do not fully represent my beliefs and views, they are the closest compared to the other options).....I believe we can govern strictly from the Constitution and the Bill of Rights and keep everything in the spirit of the Declaration of Independence (the inalienable right given to us by our maker to live freely under a simple set of rules and those rules have concrete consequences if broken).

So, in order to stay objective in my views I try not to judge (I do, and I will answer to that, but I try not to).

Religious indoctrination has no place in the public schools. If you want your student to have a religion based education, that is what private schools are for. But, even if it is a publicly funded school environment, there should be no objections to, AND the small amount of time set aside for, a student to pray to whom they choose.

I pray for my classes every day, every period. They may not know it and they are not visually witnesses to it, but I do. This is my way of asking my God for the power, strength and wisdom to teach, guide, and mentor these young people. God knows exactly who I am, but he still uses me. I am thankful and grateful for His blessings.

M. Gipson