• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Upmann #2

oak

Let it burn...
(Bear with me - this is my first review. Although I've been smoking for a while, I'm just reaching the point where I'm starting to figure out what I like and have an opinion.)

Just had an H.Upmann #2 (ISOM variety) earlier tonight - the first out of a relatively recently purchased box. This was a great smoke, immediately one of my favorites. It's a 52 x 6.5" torpedo, and well put together - though 1 or 2 of them look less than stellar as far as construction goes.

Burned even, and had a very nice draw - lots of smoke with little effort and almost a little loose - but not quite. Very easy on the palate and tasty, but hard to pin down what was going on - I'd probably say it was leathery with some slight sweetness and coffee undertones. I'd definitely call this a medium-body smoke, towards the mild side of medium - not as strong or full as expected.

Interestingly, these sticks are particularly pungent in terms of the scent before I lit up (smelled like concentrated cow poo smeared on a tree when the box opened) - but the smell of the smoke was very light and almost sweet (my wife even commented on how she liked the smell).

The taste changed significantly once about 2/3rds of the stick was gone, and became too harsh and hot for me (earlier than expected). I'll probably use a smaller cut on my next one (I tend to overcut torpedos a bit) and slow down a bit, as I was probably burning it up too much/quick.

Overall - a big thumb's up - one of my favorites (at least for now). I'm glad I bought a box, and am looking forward to seeing how these change over the next few years after I get some age on them.

Cheers,

- Oak

Great job on the review!!

These are the exact same size as the Monte #2's and I actually prefer these over the Montes.

They are kind of mild as you mentioned (well, mild by Havana standards) but they will get stronger as they age.

Hopefully you're more patient than I am and you actually WILL age them for a few years!!

Most cigars are lucky if they stick around my humidor for ten days never mind ten years
yum.gif

I've got a couple now that have some age on em'. I might have to fire one of em' up this comin' weekend while the wifey and I stroll through Universal's City Walk and enjoy thier Annual Christmas Show and parade. Great review Oak, like Phil said, keep em' comin'.... :D :thumbs: :p

Great review! I must agree, these are very good smokes!! I have two that have been in my humi for about three months now, and I'm getting the urge to smoke one. :D

I split a box of these on Shadow's recommendation and was not disappointed. (In case you haven't noticed, most of the cigars I like have been tried on Shadow's recommendation.) It seems like a slightly milder version of the Monte #2. It starts out mild, but quickly builds to a classic Cuban flavor.

Upmann #2 is one of my favorite smokes and far superior to the Monte #2.

Excellent in every way!!! Highly recommended

:thumbs: :thumbs:

Definitely slow down the puffing and blow out to cut down on the harshness.

Enjoy. :)