• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Virtual Pass

ricmac25

Token Cuban Guy
So some of us just completed the "Virtual Pass".

Here were some of the pros and cons:

Disadvantages to the “Virtual Pass”
•One of the exciting things about passes is to see the actual box and go through some of the cigars. That did not happen in this pass.

Advantages to the “Virtual Pass”
•Shipping was radically reduced since all an individual will had to send was a small pack of cigars and $3 (I asked each participant to send $3 with their puts to help ease the cost of shipping). That should be a lot less than what is normally required to ship a pass with insurance.
•The USPS did not get an opportunity to lose an entire pass.
•Since we didn’t have to wait for the USPS to deliver the cigars to continue on to the next person, it was completed in less time. 2 weeks from start to finish.

Because this was a surprise we had to keep it a secret and do it using a bunch of PM's and a web page. Had it not been a surprise I'm sure it would have been easier because I would have done it right here, so multiple PM's would not have been necessary.

For those of you concerned with the summer heat this may be an option if you're really itching to do a pass.

Is this the first of it's kind? I haven't been here enough to know for sure. I do have to admit it was a pretty fun way of doing it.

A lot of the fun for me is getting the package, and going through the cigars -- inspecting them, smelling them, checking them out, etc.

Still, thanks for organizing the virtual pass -- it was a great gesture on your part, Ricmac, and it was fun indeed. :)

Ok.. Maybe I'm slow. Everyone sends everything to you and then you mail out the 'takes' to everyone.. Is that it?

other1 said:
Ok.. Maybe I'm slow. Everyone sends everything to you and then you mail out the 'takes' to everyone.. Is that it?
Maybe we both are a little slow :D
How did this work??

Bill

other1 said:
You got it. The puts/takes are done electronically, and then at the end, people send in their puts, and once the host has everything, he sends out the takes.

And how did it start? Ric came up with a starting list of cigars he had and sent that out?

Because it was a secret I posted the starting list on a web page then notified the participants when it was their turn. Actually, anytime something happened I notified all of the participants so that they could follow along. That was the part that was a pain in the a$$ because I couldn't pm everyone at once.

They all sent me their puts and I am in the process of sending out the takes. The biggest reason for doing this was the fact that I wanted to do this quickly.

by the way, I still need a FOG ruling on this, is this the first of its kind?

just curious.

If this was a year ago for me, I would have been totally lost. But since I've learned a lot about cigars from everyone here at CP (and I got a copy of the MRN book :D ), I know what I like and what I'd like to try so at this point, I really don't need to shuffle through the box.

However rummaging through a box pass is fun because as much as I think I know, I'm sure there are lots of cigars out there that I've never heard of but if it were right in front of me, I might look at it and say "I want to try THAT one."

It certainlly is a novel idea for a pass and I thouhgt it worked out pretty well :thumbs:

As Ric mentioned, it would have been easier to do it all on a thread since doing it in secret did make it kind of difficult.

Great job Ric, thanks for helping out a GATOR fan!! :sign: