• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Shelving-what to do

Pugman1943

ive ordered three Spanish cedar shelfs for my winador cooler. What do I need to do to them prior to placing them in the winador? Wipe them down lightly with distilled water?

Thanks, Pug

ive ordered three Spanish cedar shelfs for my winador cooler. What do I need to do to them prior to placing them in the winador? Wipe them down lightly with distilled water?

Thanks, Pug

If you wet them you might lift the grain.

You could perhaps place them in the wineador, one at a time, and toss a couple extra bovedas to offset the cedar pulling the humidity down.

I wouldn't wipe them either. I made that mistake with my first humidor. Just throw in the extra packet or two and be done with it.

On a side note, I saw that Boveda will soon be offering a massive 330 gram packet. Those will be awesome for larger coolidors and wineadors.

60 grams per 25 sticks.

330 would be 137.5 sticks.

Thanks, Pug
I agree with Scap, put them in one at a time to acclimate. You could add a new sponge soaked with distilled water and place it on the shelf with a water barrier (I make a small tray from aluminum foil).
Then watch the overall humidity of the cab to make sure it doesn't get too high. But in my experience, that wood will suck most all the moisture out of the sponge before it can over humidify the whole cabinet. When the humility starts to spike up you'll know the wood is close to fully humidified. If the humidity get too high then pull the sponge and abort.

I agree with Scap, put them in one at a time to acclimate. You could add a new sponge soaked with distilled water and place it on the shelf with a water barrier (I make a small tray from aluminum foil).
Then watch the overall humidity of the cab to make sure it doesn't get too high. But in my experience, that wood will suck most all the moisture out of the sponge before it can over humidify the whole cabinet. When the humility starts to spike up you'll know the wood is close to fully humidified. If the humidity get too high then pull the sponge and abort.

I wouldn't add any water bowls if the humidor is holding cigars. Given the humidity in Texas right now, I'd imagine the shelves ought to pretty hydrated just from being in the open air. I can't imagine your cigars getting sucked dry, especially with the Boveda packets. But you could also aclimate the shelves inside a sealed container or trash bag and then put them in all at once.

I wouldn't add any water bowls if the humidor is holding cigars. Given the humidity in Texas right now, I'd imagine the shelves ought to pretty hydrated just from being in the open air. I can't imagine your cigars getting sucked dry, especially with the Boveda packets. But you could also aclimate the shelves inside a sealed container or trash bag and then put them in all at once.

Michael, believe it or not, humidity ( 43% right now ) is not the problem, 103° is my personal problem. Hurry October.

Michael, believe it or not, humidity ( 43% right now ) is not the problem, 103° is my personal problem. Hurry October.
103/43 has a dew point of 76.

Drop that wood to 76*F and it will sweat.

Bingo! Point we are making, Ed, is that your shelves should be pretty humidified already if they have had the chance to be exposed to that sort of warmth and humidity. I'd just toss them in, let thing s stabilize a few days and you are good to go!

This is a very interesting topic! So I'm thinking out loud here, and I'm no scientist by any stretch of the imagination.....!

I'm wondering how the dew point temperature relates to the humidity level of the wood. Since dewpoint is a measure of atmospheric moisture, then how would this relate to a piece of wood that was in an environment with 43% relative humidity (RH) that you placed in a different atmosphere with a higher RH? It's kind of confusing, since we are talking about different types of measurements. As I monitor my humidor, I observe, as the temperature drops slightly overnight, the RH drops slightly and visa versa. So it appears in a closed atmosphere (the humidor) as the temp drops the surroundings must absorb more moisture, thus the RH goes down slightly. I would further assume over time the beads would make an adjustment to that slight change. I'm not sure any of that information plays any part in this at all. So in the environment of a stable humidor at 70 deg F and 70% RH, the calculated dewpoint is 59.8 deg F. So I would assume that means if this humidor's temp dropped below 59 deg (and there was NO humidity control inside) the cigars and cabinet would start getting dew on them! That's because the air would reach 100% H2O saturation at that point and we would have dew.

Back to the shelves. Just through one in and see what happens. Then let us know! :D

My example was flawed, but for the exercise of illustration.

There are wood moisture meters available at places like Rockler or Woodcraft.

If the wood is dry at 105, it will be the same moisture content at 75.

What I was really trying to say in my not so sober state last night was that the wood may not be as dry as you think.

With my NIST certified hydrometer I will know real fast and since its traveling in 100° temps. in Texas, I don't think it will be wet, assuming it's not being shipped from the Amazon.