• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

A. Turrent Triple Play Toro

Katmancross

I was seeking out my people's roots and was excited to go to Israel... in the dead of Summer. Never claimed to be very bright.
Not knowing the cost of cigars over there, I decided to bring some of my favorites for myself and anyone I might meet that I would enjoy smoking with.
My prize possession being the A. Turrent Triple Play.
It's called the Triple Play because all the leaves are Maduro. And that the wrapper came from the San Andres Mountains in Mexico. The binder and fillers were made up of Nicaraguan, Honduran, and Mexican. The wrapper is a beautiful USA Connecticut Broad leaf.

Now most cigar snobs lift their noses at Mexican cigars. But these are guys not following the huge forward moves being made in the cultivation of Mexican tobacco.
If anyone checked this month's Cigar Aficionado, they would discover that this stick came in at #14 of the Top 25 Cigars of 2010. Very Impressive! And it was rated a 93. This cigar competes with some of the greatest cigars being made and holds its head up high.

We landed in Tel Aviv. When I exited the plane, via the movable stairs, the humidity hit me like a Mike Tyson punch. My chin dropped to my chest and I gasped for air. Oh my God! No one told me about this. I would speak to my travel agent upon return.

We made the drive to Jerusalem and checked in at the King David Hotel. I had been there once before in 1965 when my beloved grandfather took me to Israel. It was a different time.
I remember being rocked out of my bed by a minor terrorist attack. For a 15 year old, that's pretty scary stuff.

I went to the room, with my wife, and then we headed down to the bar. I brought the Turrents with me. There was a special area for cigar smokers. That was a big relief.
Unfortunately, it was outside. So sweat was the clothing of the day.

We immediately met some tourists from South Africa. Issy Meyers and his wife, Renee... lovely people.
I brought out my first Turrent and handed one to Issy. He tells me he's never heard of it but after sniffing it and getting a lovely espresso bean and cedar whiff, he tells me he loves me.

We snip the ends with my Xikar back stop cutter. I hand him my Blazer lighter and we toast the foot. Sweat is pouring off my forehead.
My wife, Charlotte and Renee are speaking in German to each other. My wife is from Germany. And they are sipping cocktails. My wife likes to smoke the Acid cigarillos and convinces Renee to try one. Renee approves.

While this term is horrifyingly over used, the first taste, after light up is pure butter cream. Wow!
Issy's eyes light up. He compliments me on choosing the perfect cigar for the moment.
Issy examines the stick. It has a very oily sheen. It's firm in the hand. No soft spots. It appears to be packed perfectly.

Into the first third, we get a a sweet cedar flavor profile. And just the right touch of spiciness.
These flavors dominate the first third. It is difficult not to smoke it too quickly.

We get a couple more Israeli beers and just settle into our chairs. Smoke is billowing everywhere from our vitolas. A couple of Swiss tourists stop and ask what we are smoking? I explain and tell them I brought them from home. A fallen look upon their faces as their hopes for finding one in Israel seems dicey.

The second third ramps up the power. It starts out as a medium body cigar but is quickly becoming a full body, full flavored complex cigar.
The taste of dark coffee mixes with the sweetness.

The cigar takes 90 minutes to smoke and every second is enjoyed. The flavors of sweet cedar, coffee, butter cream, are maintained throughout the smoke. I don't taste other flavors but that's just fine because this lollipop of flavors is perfect the way it is.

We decide to meet for dinner as we get up from the table. Issy grabs my forearm and asks if I have anymore A Turrents? I just smile. And then so does he.

The Bottom Line:
A. Turrent Triple Play
Country of Manufacturer: Honduras
Size: 6 x 54 Toro
Strength: Medium-Full
Wrapper: Mexican San Andres Maduro
Filler & Binder: Nicaraguan, Honduran, Mexican
Box of 21: $132.95
Flavor characteristics summary: Creamy, mild spices, well-balanced, notes of coffee and cocoa on the finish.
Thanks to Mike's Cigars- www.mikescigars.com
I'm an old fart and can't get photobucket to work properly. Or there is something wrong with the format of my camera.
Anyway, if you go to www.Katmancross.com you can see photos I took

Nice write up.

Are you affiliated with the reseller (Mike's Cigars) or the manufacturer?

Ken

Nice write up.

Ken

Hi Ken,

No. I'm not an employee. I beg online stores to send me a 5 pack of something and I write a review. I'm so poor right now, it's the only way I get cigars. I've been out of work for over 2 years and I turn 61 this week. I'm an engineer in commercial construction. We ended up losing everything and my wife and I are homeless living in my daughter's basement. My wife makes $10 an hour. We are so broke. My self esteem is so bad, that I've gone on to some of the cigar forums where I've been awhile and begged for mercy from the fella's for some sticks...anything. It's just horrifying that I have to do this.
Fam*** Sm*** gave me my chance by writing reviews under the pen name Katmancross. They are silly and irreverent adventure stories with a review in it.
But then a few online stores offered me a similar situation but they just wanted a straight 1-2-3 review. I try to add a little humor, but that's all.
Fam*** felt I betrayed them. They thought they owned me for a 5 pack per review. I sold cigars for them. They figured I'd made them over a grand in 3 months when they keep track of the cookies of people that read my reviews and then bought some cigars. $50 spent for a gain of $1000. Not bad. But they hold a grudge. I told them I'd write for them for two cigars because I owe them, but they will have none of it. They removed me as a featured reviewer, but the reviews are still on their web site.
I thought they would be happy for me. They know how poor I am. But I misjudged them. What a shame.

Nice write up.

Ken

Hi Ken,

No. I'm not an employee. I beg online stores to send me a 5 pack of something and I write a review. I'm so poor right now, it's the only way I get cigars. I've been out of work for over 2 years and I turn 61 this week. I'm an engineer in commercial construction. We ended up losing everything and my wife and I are homeless living in my daughter's basement. My wife makes $10 an hour. We are so broke. My self esteem is so bad, that I've gone on to some of the cigar forums where I've been awhile and begged for mercy from the fella's for some sticks...anything. It's just horrifying that I have to do this.
Fam*** Sm*** gave me my chance by writing reviews under the pen name Katmancross. They are silly and irreverent adventure stories with a review in it.
But then a few online stores offered me a similar situation but they just wanted a straight 1-2-3 review. I try to add a little humor, but that's all.
Fam*** felt I betrayed them. They thought they owned me for a 5 pack per review. I sold cigars for them. They figured I'd made them over a grand in 3 months when they keep track of the cookies of people that read my reviews and then bought some cigars. $50 spent for a gain of $1000. Not bad. But they hold a grudge. I told them I'd write for them for two cigars because I owe them, but they will have none of it. They removed me as a featured reviewer, but the reviews are still on their web site.
I thought they would be happy for me. They know how poor I am. But I misjudged them. What a shame.

Sorry to hear about your problems... how did you manage to get to Israel? Or did you write the review before you lost your job?

Nice write up.

Ken

Hi Ken,

Sorry to hear about your problems... how did you manage to get to Israel? Or did you write the review before you lost your job?

I made it all up.
I'm good at that.
You should read a couple of my Katmancross reviews:
www.Katmancross.com
Rocky Patel 1961
Final Blend-The Last Days of the Rolling Stones

Nice write up.

Ken

Hi Ken,

I made it all up.
I'm good at that.
www.Katmancross.com
Rocky Patel 1961

Why are you here?

edit - nice review!

Nice write up.

Ken

Hi Ken,

I made it all up.
I'm good at that.
www.Katmancross.com
Rocky Patel 1961

Why are you here?

edit - nice review!

Why am I here?
Huh?
I don't understand the question.
Thanks for the "nice review" comment

Why am I here?
Huh?
I don't understand the question.
Thanks for the "nice review" comment

Are you here to promote your website?

You mean my blog? It's a personal blog, not a commercial one. I don't make a cent from it. I developed it so I could write stories about my childhood in the midst of Jewish Mafia. That led to me announcing I had a new review published somewhere. So am I promoting it? Sure. I want people to read what I write. I love to write and I'm proud of the short stories I've done.
But if you think I'm here for that purpose only, you are wrong, sir.
I joined and then got a hellacious case of the flu. I frequent a few different forums and this one had an appeal but I've been death on a toast and just don't have the energy or desire to get involved now.
I love several forums. Some I don't love and this looked like a good one based on the threads. I just want to be a part of this community. I have things to contribute other than promoting something.
If that's how it appears, I apologize. That was not my intent.
But I'm poor and don't have health insurance. The only way I can defeat this plague I have is break down and go to the ER...and I just don't want to do that until I'm coughing up frogs.

I look forward to getting involved when I feel better. I've met some great guys on these sites. I've also met some real ass*****. The anonymity give some people power trips and Napoleonic attitudes. I'm a laid back guy and I just want to have fun(Did I just sing a Cyndy Lauper song?)
I had a terrible experience with p**f. Holy S**t! What a tyrant that ran that site!

But if you read my most current story on my blog, I talk about friendship..old ones and new ones. And in the past couple of months I've made two friends via the forums that will be friends for life. Now how can that be bad? So I roam like an alley rat seeking out opportunities to connect with good people.
I hope that answered your question...or did you conk out halfway through? I can ramble.

I think the reason Gary asked you why you are here is that we follow the rule "Don't smoke cigars if you can't afford them." here at CP. And your "I'm broke as hell but am willing to review cigars if people gift them to me." post set off the alarms.

We have had our share of moochers trying to get around the TANSTAAFL rule so excuse us if we are a bit leery of such posts, especially as you pretty much admitted that you have a touch of the Blarney about you.

As long as you really want to be part of the CP family without hoping for free shit, you're fine. If not, well things tend to get ugly fast when someone tries to take advantage of the brotherhood here at CP.

So welcome to CP, I'm sure I speak for all of us when I say, "Enjoy your stay, you found the best cigar family on the internet."

So this review was a fake?

If you mean, is the story made up? Yes, of course. I try and make the review a little more interesting than the standard 1-2-3-Overall format. Everyone does 1-2-3 format. The amount of humor I use depends on who I am writing for. I can get pretty crazy. Go to my blog and read some of the crazy stories like the one about the Rolling Stones or Patel Brothers Next Generation. Pure madness.
Reading a review should be fun. Most people skim those 1-2-3 reviews and head straight to the bottom for the overall impression. I want the reader to be invested in a pleasing story that contains a real review. The stories/reviews are short so it doesn't require more than 3-4 minutes to read.

I think the reason Gary asked you why you are here is that we follow the rule "Don't smoke cigars if you can't afford them." here at CP. And your "I'm broke as hell but am willing to review cigars if people gift them to me." post set off the alarms.

We have had our share of moochers trying to get around the TANSTAAFL rule so excuse us if we are a bit leery of such posts, especially as you pretty much admitted that you have a touch of the Blarney about you.

As long as you really want to be part of the CP family without hoping for free shit, you're fine. If not, well things tend to get ugly fast when someone tries to take advantage of the brotherhood here at CP.

So welcome to CP, I'm sure I speak for all of us when I say, "Enjoy your stay, you found the best cigar family on the internet."

I certainly don't want to come off as something negative like a moocher. But the only cigars that touch my forum are the occasional ones sent to me by friends or an online store. And I have to smoke those right away so I can write a review. Its not like I'm being sent boxes of cigars. One store sends me two cigars.
And since I live like a hermit in a basement without transportation, my cigars are my only sanity. If I could, I'd smoke 5-6 cigars per day. But I don't.
Look, I'm truly poor. I turn 61 on Thursday and my 26th wedding anniversary is today. Our celebratory dinners will be deli meat that my wife gets from the deli she works at in Milwaukee. We haven't gone out to dinner in over 2 years. And I have $42 in the bank. And bills that exceed my wife's income.
I'm currently trying to file for Social Security Disability because of a skydiving accident the f****d me up pretty good. If that comes through in a few months, we can live like normal people.
I'm not stupid. I know there are millions of people in our situation. The economy has taken down a lot of people. But there doesn't seem to be a light at the end of the tunnel.
So yes, I cringe at my low self esteem, and ask for charity. Have any idea how embarrassing this is? But if a couple guys with big hearts can understand what I'm going through and sends me a couple cigars, it changes the color of the day for me. So I beg a lot. And from that begging, maybe one or two people come through and send me a few sticks.
I'm embarrassed that I had to explain myself in this forum. I'm an engineer. I worked hard for 35 years and I have nothing to show for it....my only hope at this point is to get on the government teat.
So I apologize if I've come across as a moocher. That's the last thing I want. I would rather have the friendships of my fellow smokers than have the cigars. Friendships last longer.

Well, there's that too.

And the fact that when someone references getting free cigars for reviews from the Manufacturer...then references his site/blog...that stirs the attention.

Like the 'click on photo' to go to the manufacturer...do you get anthing for redirecting hits? Or just free smokes for review?

edit...Happy Anniversary!

Well, there's that too.

And the fact that when someone references getting free cigars for reviews from the Manufacturer...then references his site/blog...that stirs the attention.

Like the 'click on photo' to go to the manufacturer...do you get anthing for redirecting hits? Or just free smokes for review?

If an online store is kind enough to send me a 5 pack of something for review, I think the civil thing to do is thank them. Nobody sends me Opus X or Padrons. I get the dregs that they are trying to market because no one is buying them. On rare occasions, I get sent a nice 5 pack, like the A. Turrents. But that's the exception, not the rule. If one of Cigar Pass's members sends me a 5 pack, would I not thank them as well?
It's the courteous thing to do and I'm not ashamed of doing it.

Well, there's that too.

If an online store is kind enough to send me a 5 pack of something for review, I think the civil thing to do is thank them. Nobody sends me Opus X or Padrons. I get the dregs that they are trying to market because no one is buying them. On rare occasions, I get sent a nice 5 pack, like the A. Turrents. But that's the exception, not the rule. If one of Cigar Pass's members sends me a 5 pack, would I not thank them as well?

My apologies if the bullshit sniffer is off a little but you write for online cigar stores and have links to sites from your own... right?

...and that's just out of being civil!?

???

http://factoidz.com/...le/katmancross/

Services I ProvideI am currently writing for 5 online cigar stores and one cigar magazine. Cigars are my passion...as well as music. I play bass in working blues bands.

Well, keep up the fine reviews!

Edit...<LI>sales rep at Don Abram Harris Cigars - Congrats on the new gig! :thumbs:

Well, there's that too.

My apologies if the bullshit sniffer is off a little but you write for online cigar stores and have links to sites from your own... right?

...and that's just out of being civil!?

???

http://factoidz.com/profile/katmancross/

Services I ProvideI am currently writing for 5 online cigar stores and one cigar magazine. Cigars are my passion...as well as music. I play bass in working blues bands.

Well, keep up the fine reviews!

Yeah, it is being civil.
And I'm self promoting on factoidz. You get nowhere in life without aggressively chasing what you want. I'm not writing for 5 stores. But it looks good. I don't write for a magazine. And I haven't played in a working band in almost 2 years. Telling prospective clients that I have these accomplishments makes me look more appealing. Ever put something on a resume that wasn't exactly true?
But if this war of words is going to use everything I say against me, put a fork in me, I'm done.
Catch you on the flip side.

Looks to me like he just admitted to being a bullshitter, and he feels good about it. We don't need that kind of fella around here. Glad you left on your own. It was about to get ugly.

Doc.

Yeah, it is being civil.
And I'm self promoting on factoidz. You get nowhere in life without aggressively chasing what you want. I'm not writing for 5 stores. But it looks good. I don't write for a magazine. And I haven't played in a working band in almost 2 years. Telling prospective clients that I have these accomplishments makes me look more appealing. Ever put something on a resume that wasn't exactly true?
But if this war of words is going to use everything I say against me, put a fork in me, I'm done.
Catch you on the flip side.

Nah, not a war.

Me...I'm the early entertainment...you know, for the 'older' crowd!

:laugh:

I got to the part where you said your story was made up then stopped. No offense but nothing you say after that point will have any credibility with me. It reminds me of the old Chinese fable about the carnie who wants to molest your sister.