• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Bernheim Original

DePasta

Stop it! That tickles!
OK, this is my first CP review (because AVB made me).

Tonight I sat down to take a much anticipated sip of the Bernheim Original Kentucky Wheat Whiskey. Currently this is the only whiskey distilled with 51% or more wheat. This is in contrast to most Bourbons that are 51% corn and use wheat as an ingredient or buffer. Commonly, we find what are called wheated Bourbons like Maker's Mark that have a higher concentration of wheat which usually results in a sweeter taste.

Upon opening the bottle which is sealed with a cork encased in wax I was pleasantly surprised. I didn't know what to anticipate, but what I encountered was a very light and sweet aroma. The scent was very pleasant.

The pour was nice and the color was light amber. Not as dark as Bourbon, which I am accustomed to, not as light as the Scotch that I have encountered. The first sip was pleasant and smooth with taste of honey. I also tasted vanilla, maple and cinnamon. The taste was a reminder of a beautiful fall evening. But the absence of Rye was evident in the lack of spice.

Next comes the best part, the finish. I was very surprised by the dry finish this whiskey presented. The sweetness seemed to linger only short time and was followed by a warm and dry finish. The aromas and dryness of the finish was amplified when I cut it with a touch of water.

The proof (90) was not overpowering in any way. I am told that Bernheim is aged 5 years (about the same as same young bourbons.)

Overall, I was pleasantly surprised by this whiskey. I am predominantly a Bourbon drinker (knob Creek one of my staples). I think that this will be liked by those that prefer the sweeter Bourbons like Maker's Mark, Old Fitgerald or W.L. Weller. I also think that there are much better drinks to be had at a price tag less than $40.

-Dan

ddepaola sent me a sample of this yeaterday so I'll be adding my 2 cents tonight. Looking forward to it and thanks again! :thumbs:

Bernheim Original Wheat Whiskey, 750ml, 90 proof, Flask style bottle, Box packaging in some areas, about $40

Berheim%20Wheat%20Whiskey.jpg

Bernheim, named for the Heaven Hill Distillery of the same name which in turn was named for the Bernheim forest nearby is a 5 year old "barely legal" wheat whiskey at 51 percent wheat, 39 percent corn and 10 percent malted barley. I say barely legal because the amount of wheat is just over the limit to be called a wheat whiskey.

As was already pointed out it is light in the nosing with nothing really jumping out although I do get a sense of pine nuts for some reason. The taste has a little bite but in general is smooth and not as sweet as one would think for a wheat whiskey. This is a little more flowery then most bourbon drinkers are used too but not unpleasant at all. At the finish some vanilla and brown sugar show themselves for a pretty long time.

A must for the collector, there will be other older versions released as the stocks age. Well worth buying a shot if you have the opportunity but the $40 list is a bit high a bottle IMO.

Thanks for the backup! Appreciate the details.

-Dan

This is the first time I've ever done a backup in the same thread. It was odd when linking it in the master threadthat is pinned in the saloon. Hopefully, there will be more to come!

I think there will. Was at the local store eyeing a few to sample, Kentucky Vintage 21 yr and Hirsch Selection Rye 23 yr to name a few. Owner wants to trade cigars for Bourbon, we will definitely work something out. Sat and sampled some Pappy 20 yr with Julian Van Winkle too, it was a fun night of not buying anything. :whistling:

-Dan

I believe that is a Hirsch Selection 21 yo Rye. There is no provenance on the Hirsch so most are thinking is is old Heaven Hill or Barton's bottled under the Hirsch name. It certainly didn't come from Michters.

ddepaola said:
Kentucky Vintage 21 yr and Hirsch Selection Rye 23 yr to name a few.

-Dan
[snapback]267869[/snapback]​

You are right it is 21 yo. I don't know if it was worth the $120 price tag. So many others I want to try first.

-Dan

Thanks for the feedback Gregor. Look forward to more.

-Dan

Nice reviews, guys. I recently had the opportunity to try this whiskey while down in South Carolina. Very nice drink, though I don't think it will be replacing any of my staples anytime soon. Good on a hot day due to the lightness and dryness on the palate. Will be interested in trying later bottlings as the stock ages.

I just tried some the other day and I have to say that it was enjoyable. So enjoyable I found myself finishing the bottle in a couple of days. I have to agree with the reviews that it is a a good shot. Thanks gentlemen. :thumbs: