• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

1948 50 yo Glenlivet

AVB

Jesus of Cool, I'm bad, I'm nationwide
Glenlivet 50 yo Scotch, distilled 1948 - bottled 1998. 80 proof, velvet covered and satin lined box, hand made crystal decanter, 70CL, price....if you gotta ask :rolleyes:

Glenlivet%201948%2050%20yo%20Scotch.JPG
Glenlivet%201948%20Certificate.JPG

My Friday started off pretty well, a nice pot of Mr. Jerry’s and a 1956 Punch. After savoring that I took a break until lunch. A great hot roast beef sandwich with blue cheese sprinkles and some cherry pie gave me strength to fire up a 1998 Partagas Lusitania which occupied my next two hours. Figuring it was time to continue the good life I opened my bottle of Glenlivet. After a couple of hundred dollars worth of scotch, a Siglo VI I figured it was time to switch to some less expensive drams. The Padron Millennium was next to go and the rest of the night is a blur so tonight I'm revisiting the Glenlivet for this review.

A great dinner out at Coombs in York put me in the perfect mood to sit and contemplate this ancient dram. The first thing noticed during nosing is the fruitiness and a surprisingly clear smell of peat. For most really old scotch the wood overpowers a number of the things you can pick out during the nosing but that isn't the case here. It is a very fresh and sharp nosing, not muddled at all.

The taste is when the wood comes out but in an unexpected way. This scotch sat in a bourbon cask for so long the imprint of the charred oak cask and bourbon highlights integrate themselves with the highland malt of The Glenlivet. I've never experienced anything quite like this in another reasonably aged scotch.
Malt, a bit of peat, fruit and bourbon vanilla combine with the oak in a splendid harmony. At the finish some spiciness comes out that was only hinted at during the tasting and lasts for a very long time.

Obviously a scotch like this is a case of diminishing returns. There are a number of different drams that are just as good but in a completely separate way. For a totally unique experience biased with the fact that this is my birthday scotch makes me absolutely satisfied that I bought and opened this. Easily an ACE! :thumbs: :thumbs:

WOW what an overwhelmingly scrumptious review :p Glad you had such an enjoyable B-day weekend surrounded with nothing but the finest selection.

The yesterdays C'gar lineup was something to behold yet seems like nothing but the right choice to go with vintage scotch.

The best thing is the weekend ain't over yet! :whistling:

Will wait to hear about the day after ;)

Thank you, I wish I could say the day after was just as good but not quite. I went out for dinner, had a Siglo VI and more of the Glenlivet so I could write the review. A great day for sure but not as good as the birthday. ;)

ML237 said:
WOW what an overwhelmingly scrumptious review :p Glad you had such an enjoyable B-day weekend surrounded with nothing but the finest selection.

The yesterdays C'gar lineup was something to behold yet seems like nothing but the right choice to go with vintage scotch.

The best thing is the weekend ain't over yet! :whistling:

Will wait to hear about the day after ;)
[snapback]282330[/snapback]​

I have to ask... how does the glass ball work since its not attached to the cork?

Thats a sweet looking bottle and review.

I don't know if you're being serious or not. Its a crystal decanter so you put the crystal stopper in after you break the wax seal and pull out the cork. ;)

Wurm said:
I have to ask... how does the glass ball work since its not attached to the cork?
[snapback]282669[/snapback]​

AVB, great review as always :thumbs:

I can't stop gawking at the pictures of the decanter, glad you got to enjoy something really special on the day of your Big 5-0.

One quick question, do you have to acquire something like this at an auction or is there a special source for special scotch?

CYG

There are places that specialize in the more rare items, just like any other collectable hobby.

CvilleYoungGun said:
One quick question, do you have to acquire something like this at an auction or is there a special source for special scotch?

CYG
[snapback]282803[/snapback]​

AVB said:
I don't know if you're being serious or not. Its a crystal decanter so you put the crystal stopper in after you break the wax seal and pull out the cork. ;)

Wurm said:
[snapback]282669[/snapback]​
[snapback]282703[/snapback]​

I was being serious... I just couldn't see the bottom of the crystal stopper so I thought it was just a round ball :p

bottlestopper.jpg
<--- this part

Birthday time rolls around again and another dram of my birthday scotch is in the glass. I put a hurt on this bottle last year so I've got to be more prudent if I'm going make this last for a few year until I can find another of the same or something else that will fit. Damn good stuff.

What a treat, this review I mean. Gives us regular scotch drinkers something to dream about.

The closest I ever came to tasting a 50 year old scotch was smelling the lead crystal stopper on a bottle of Mac 50. The powers that be wanted $650 for one drink and I just couldn't justify the cost. Later I found a bottle in a store for $4200 and my wife gave me one of these looks. :angry:

Way to AVB!! Thanks for letting me live vicariously through you.