• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Pinch Dimple 15yo Scotch

AVB

Jesus of Cool, I'm bad, I'm nationwide
Pinch Dimple 15 yo blended Scotch, 750ML, may or may not have box packaging, 80 proof, about $25-30.

Pinch15.jpg

Known everwhere else in the world except the US as The Dimple, Pinch is the 4th best selling blended scotch in the world. Usually this was a 12 yo bottling but a few years ago a 15 yo was released. You still might find a dusty 12 yo somewhere on the shelves as the 15 is more popular.

Pinch contains Glenkinchie, Linkwood, Dalwhinnie and Lagavulin in the blend according to Jim Murray. I would guess that there is more Glenkinchie then Linkwood as Linkwood is normally a heavily sherried scotch and fairly dark in most bottlings except the latest one from the distillery while Pinch is a much lighter color. Of course, if they used the unsherried stock my guess is out the window.

The nose is peppery and slightly medicinal from the Lagavulin. The taste is soft on the top but with a nice bite on the sides of the tongue with some smokiness and peat intermixing with a vanilla flavor. The finish lasts for a very long time and is smooth with a vanilla base and some smoke on the top a nice continuation from the tasting.

If you like a blend with a bit more bite then Johnnie Walker Black then Pinch may just be what you are looking for. A solid midrange dram that won't disappoint.

I turned Dale onto 12 year-old Dimple about a year ago...

He now has 2 empty Pinch bottles sitting on his shelf of "Dead Soldiers" and a third well on its way to joining its brethren.

I'm guessing there isn't much of a taste difference between the 12 and 15.

Not much difference between the two from what I've had. I get the 15 because that is the easier one to find now.

The stores over here still (for the most part) have the 12 year-old on the shelves.

Its not very expensive either around 18 to 22 dollars a bottle, so its a nice dram for a scotch drinker on a budget.

Not much on a blended scotch, but I did pick up a little 6 barrel shots while in London a few years ago. They actually was pretty good. When I am not lazy, I will find out what it was. It did give me some renew faith that blended can be good and that bottle sure does look pretty. Another fine review AVB. :thumbs:

Mr Peat said:
Not much on a blended scotch, but I did pick up a little 6 barrel shots while in London a few years ago. They actually was pretty good. When I am not lazy, I will find out what it was. It did give me some renew faith that blended can be good and that bottle sure does look pretty. Another fine review AVB. :thumbs:
[snapback]294705[/snapback]​

Your right about the bottle, it makes for a fantastic drip candle bottle. :thumbs:

My dad used to talk about The Pinch as if it was his favorite scotch on all time...I should get him a bottle for the hell of it!!

-Fetter

I have about a case left. We used to get it by the case for parties and I would get the leftovers. Thanks for the review.

Since it seems you have had much more than I, any further thoughts on it?

golfgar said:
I have about a case left. We used to get it by the case for parties and I would get the leftovers. Thanks for the review.
[snapback]299137[/snapback]​

AVB - I just came across this review after searching to see if you had reviewed The Pinch. I was delighted to found that you had. I am by no means any sort of scotch expert, but find your review to pretty closely describe my experience with The Pinch as well. I was also interested to find out what goes into the blend, which I had not known before.

I recommend this to anyone; for the price, I think it is a very good blend.

AVB - I could not find an Oban review, have you ever had it? I would be interested to hear your thoughts on it.

I do have a bottle of Oban 14 but just haven't gotten around to doing a review yet. You'll just have to wait for the review or post one up yourself. :)

I do have a bottle of Oban 14 but just haven't gotten around to doing a review yet. You'll just have to wait for the review or post one up yourself. :)
You do have an enviable position here at HP. :love:

Thanks for the review AVB. I tried this for the first time this evening, and I like it. At least for the price($20).

$20 is a great price for Dimple.

I am also no scotch expert but I have emptied a few bottles of the Pinch.

I was looking for a change in my beverage of choice and remembered an old family friend used to drink this. As kids my brothers and I were fascinated with the bottles and used to ask to keep them when they were emptied.

So when I was staring blankly at the Scotch aisle. The Pinch jumped out at me. I like it. I had some Glenmorangie about 10 years earlier before I had any idea what scotch was and I have to say I prefer the Pinch. If I remember right I nearly lost my dinner on the Glenmorangie.

I read that the bottles and the wire were designed for shipping the scotch overseas. The wire was originally intended to keep the cork in the bottle.

I am a beginner though. I feel like a real noob having to add water to blended scotch but it is a little too stout for my palate to drink straight.