• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Johnnie Walker Swing

AVB

Jesus of Cool, I'm bad, I'm nationwide
Johnnie Walker Swing, no age statement, box packaging, flagon bottle shape with convex bottom, screw top, 80 proof, 750ml, about $30 duty free, $60 in the shops. Limited US availability but expanding. For duty free and the far east the labels are slightly different in coloration. The picture is of a Japanese bottle, a duty free one is pictured here.

JohnnieWalkerSwing.jpg

Johnnie Walker Swing was invented in 1932 specifically for the trans-oceanic trade. The convex bottom causes it to rock back and forth along with the wave action on a ship. Because humans notice movement this caused it to become more popular at the bars on board. A neat marketing trick. Up to 35 whiskies are used in the creation of Swing, mostly highland malts with a good portion of them stored in sherry casks although you can tell there is some Islay and northern highland whisky in there too.

As you can see it is a dark golden brown color in the bottle and lightens up to a dark straw colored gold in the glass. Nosing reveals a sherry sweetness along with some smoke and peat. There is an orangy note way down there too that comes out a bit more if you let your glass sit for a few minutes. First tasting starts out sweet and then the spiciness kicks in at mid tongue and after that you can notice the smoke and peat. I don't think all the spiciness is from single malts as it seems to me that some of the grain whisky is causing it too. Sort of like a higher rye in the mash of bourbon will make it seem spicier. The finish is medium-long in length and consists mostly of smoke and spice that even after detectable flavors fade out seems to linger on for some time.

At $30 I'd buy this over Johnnie Walker Black 9 times out of 10 but at $60 I'll take Johnnie Walker Green any day. Buy it if you want something a bit unusual but you really don't need to track one down.

Buy it if you want something a bit unusual but you really don't need to track one down.

Thanks for taking the time (again). I've yet to see a bottle of this and I have been keeping my eyes open. I'll follow your recommendation and save my money for a bottle of the green which I have seen for as low as $42.00.

This is worth having on the shelf for it's story telling and historical value. I'm going to have to get me some.

Doc.

Opened the bottle I got on our cruise about a week ago. Had a nice glass with a Cohiba 2006 EL, what a great combination. Very smoooooth and tasty. Would get the maximum # of bottle next time I find it, for $29 you cannot go wrong. Now to see if the JW Blue is worth the price hike.

I still haven't gotten around to opening the bottle I got 6 months ago. Perhaps I'll put that on my list of things to do this week. I'd go ahead and crack it open right now, but it seems like some folks generally frown upon alcohol consumption at 8:30 in the morning.