• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Dark Lord Russian Imperial Stout (2007)

smellysell

Go Vols!!!
Hope you guys aren't getting tired of these reviews.

I asked Tim (tkoepp) about this a while ago in chat. I came to find that this beer is only released once a year and is VERY limited, and to make a long story short, thanks to Tim standing in line for several hours at Dark Lord day, I was lucky enough to get to try this much hyped beer. It didn't disappoint! Thanks again Tim for the opportunity. I think a trip to IN for next years release might be in order!

Dark Lord is a gargantuan Russian Style Imperial Stout, with a reverse cascading head that starts out billowing the color of burnt oil like the Dark Lord rising from the black primordial beginnings. It's Resonant vinous aroma has been described as cherries, sweet malt, molasses, burnt currants, plum with a port wine alcohol undertow. Mochachino notes buried within. Motor oil consistency, hellishly smooth, yet divinely burnt and vinous. The first sip coats your palate with a palatial charred fruit and chocolate blanket. Alcohol burn wiggles its way down your throat with a thick body. Enjoy and thanks for your continuing support.

-bottle label

Style - Russian Imperial Stout
ABV - 13%
Brewed In - Munster, IN
Availability - Limited Release Once a Year

Picture003.jpg

Appearance

BLACK!! If there was a color darker than black that's how this pours. By far the darkest beer I've ever drank. A very minuscule orange-brown head that bubbles to nothingness immediately.

Smell

Molasses and malt sweetness with and hint of dark fruit.

Taste

Wow! This beer is extremely full flavored and complex, yet amazingly balanced and smooth. Burnt malt, brown sugar, and a tartness I can't quite put my finger on. Finishes with dark chocolate and lightly bitter coffee. The finish picked up in strength as the beer warmed a bit, and even creeped into the initial flavors, but was still definitely more prevalent in the finish.

Feel

Extremely thick and creamy, but not to the point that it was overwhelming. Carbonation was pretty light and the beer was very clingy. Definitely not the most quaffable beer.

Verdict

Could you tell I liked it? To be honest, with all the hype surrounding this beer, I had prepared myself for a disappointment that never came. This is one of my favorite beers I've had and I will definitely try to get more. Due to rarity, price, and the nature of the style of beer this is, it isn't the most drinkable beer, definitely a sipper. In the future I will wait for an occasion that I can sit down and share this with a friend, but it is definitely a must try if you can get your hands on it.

Thank you for that great review, still trying to find the right moment to drink mine.

Gret review bro, you described it perfectly. I shared mine with a great BOTL and your right, it's definetly a sipper..

Ah the holy grail for us high alcohol, roasted burnt malt lovin beer whores - very well done Justin. I had a feeling this beer would be one to share, although I thought it would have a bit more carbonation. Can't wait to crack mine, 4th of July is D-day. :thumbs:

Hmmmm! Made in Munster, Indiana, not too far from my house, i'll have to give them a call. Thanks! :thumbs:

Man, that beer looks like a monster! It would knock me on my ass, pick me up, and then body slam me again for good measure.

Seemed more like drinking wine to me. Excellent beer however. A sipper and a sharer

I ended up pouring my bottle of the Dark Lord on Father's Day. Thanks for the opportunity, Tim. We had my parents and Granny Q along.

Dad and I had nice pour. This was some dark, thick beer. The bottle states it is the consistancy of motor oil. I'll agree. I say it was about a 30 weight.

You could not even get a glimpse of light through the glass. As you swirled the beer, it would coat the class with cloudy, yellow legs.

It was definitely a sipper. No carbonation. Lots of wondeful flavors in it.

My grandmother had wanted to sample it. She is always a sport. My mother had also tried a sip.

Granny Q gave it a thumbs down. She said it tasted like turpentine. She is 95 years old and I thought I had been the one to do her in by letting her taste this beer. You should have seen her face.

Mum had the same reaction. Father and I wer big fans. We definitely enjoy beers like this. It was a perfect Fathers' Day.

Hope the rest of ya'll enjoy yours as much. It is definitely an experience.

Just had this last night - My bro and a buddy of ours cracked it during one of the local fireworks show and whoa baby it was one to remember. It was everything you would expect it to be and more. The most outstanding, kick you in the face, you've never had anything like this before element is the mouthfeel. It is like you are drinking a heavy cream, its thick and chewy, absofuckinglutely amazing. Thanks Tim and Justin for the chance to try this!