• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Gouden Carolus Carolus D'Or - Cuvée Van De Keizer

smellysell

Go Vols!!!
Jonas sent me a bottle of this a while back and has been hounding me to drink it. :D :D :D Now I understand why! I'm so glad I decided to pick up a couple more bottles solely on the strength of his recommendations.

Style - Belgian Strong Dark Ale
ABV - 10%
Brewed In - Mechelen, Belgium
Availability - Winter Release

Every year on the 24th of February, the birthday of "Charles the fifth", the Brewery brews the Gouden Carolus "Cuvee of the Emperor" in a limited quantity and with an eye on the highest quality and tradition. This unique brewing, with only extra fine Belgian hops and with a higher alcohol level, guarantees a better evolution in the time, than the already known Gouden Carolus. This beer, as all our beers, is 100 % natural, with no preservatives, no adjuncts and no chemicals. We bottle it in bottles of 75 cl and closed with a quality cork. Excellent to store several years. Every year the public is invited to assist to the brewing process.

-ratebeer.com

IMG_0497.jpg

Appearance

Thin head that is VERY light tan, almost white. Beer is dark amber, much lighter than I'm accustomed to seeing in a BSDA. Heavy lacing that lasts the entire time I’m drinking this.

Smell

Typical malt sweetness that you expect in a quad, with currants and something else, toffee maybe?

Taste

Sooooo smooth, especially for such a high ABV (I feel like a broken record sometimes!) Tons of malt sweetness and a very distinct taste of currants up front. Some burnt caramel and molasses in the finish. Bitterness is pretty much nonexistent.

Feel

Mouth feel on this is medium, i.e. perfect. Not to thick, and not too thin. Just right. Carbonation is on the lighter side, but definitely still present.

Verdict

Dayummm! I am a self-admitted Belgian whore, but this is right up there with any I've had. Not quite on the same level as a Westy 12, but not far off either. This and a Rochefort 10 are definitely in the same ballpark, although also different. If you see this at your local, definitely give it a shot. Thanks Jonas!

Since it's an ale, at what temp do you serve it?

Typical wisdom say 45-50 degrees, but I prefer a little warmer, as it seems to open up the flavor a little more. I usually pull this style out of the cellar and put it in the fridge the morning I plan to drink it, and take it out a couple hours before I'm ready.

Lot's of different ales though, and different serving temps for all of them.

Thanks for the review Justin. I absolutely fell in love with this beer the first time I had it, and I agree it is right up there with the Rochefort 10. It looks like the 2007 just hit shelves so snag it while you can! :thumbs:

Thanks for the review Justin. I absolutely fell in love with this beer the first time I had it, and I agree it is right up there with the Rochefort 10. It looks like the 2007 just hit shelves so snag it while you can! :thumbs:

I guess I will have to find a place that sells this based on the High recomendations. Just something else to search for. :thumbs:

sounds good...we have a little shop here in town that sells imports...harpoon...guiness...etc....len

great, I ordered a case throught my beer club, couple of months ago, will get them in february!

great, I ordered a case throught my beer club, couple of months ago, will get them in february!

Damn that is some kind of wait time on those man! Next time just hollar at one of us beer whores and we will take care of you.

Damn that is some kind of wait time on those man! Next time just hollar at one of us beer whores and we will take care of you.

Well we are used to it, im a member of an import beer club, we are about 150members strong.

The problems is the liquor board of Quebec, the SAQ. Since we have to pass through them for everything it is quite a pain. 2 Weeks ago, one of our orders arrived in the port of Montreal and the SAQ told us we'll had to wait until January to get the order because they pass their holidays season first, they had to test a part of the order to see if it conform bla bla bla...

Worst thing is that the club, must contact the brewery to see if they want to work with us, if they say yes the club call the SAQ..... to continue the process

Two years ago, we had an order for Cantillon, my club placed an order of about 300 cases, the order was made in 2004, and received in 2005, some of the order were rare cantillons, guess what the SAQ did, they sent all the rare case to the Beer festival and we got nothing, and some members were waiting since TWO YEARS! No respect, but they are a monopoly....

3 times now, I had order canceled for no reason at all. Last year they cancelled two cases of cantillons I ordered that I was waiting since 13 months

once it was Stone Brewery who cancelled the whole order because they told the SAQ to *******.

Is this beer available in the western states like California? I've never seen it before and sounds delicous.

I found a place today that has a full shelf of this beer. Because I only remembered bits and pieces of this thread, I wasn't sure if it was the right beer, now I am!! I guess Ill be dropping in there in the next few days and picking some up!!

I do what I can from here in PA.