• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

The Abyss

smellysell

Go Vols!!!
Jonas bombed me a while back with this beer that I've been wanting to try for a long time. I've read that it is being re-released, so hopefully I'll be able to get some more. Thanks once again Jonas.

Style - Russian Imperial Stout
ABV - 11%
Brewed In - Bend, Oregon
Availability - Brewed Once (although it is being re-released)

IMG_0586.jpg

Appearance - Poured black with a one finger, dark brown head. Good retention and medium lacing.

Smell - A pungent smell that I couldn't put my finger on initially, along with roasted malts and coffee. After I read the bottle, I realized the pungent smell was licorice.

Taste - Burnt coffee and molasses are in the forefront, with a nice, slightly bitter finish. Very well balanced.

Mouthfeel - Very thick, leaving a thin residue in you mouth. Carbonation is very minimal. For such a heavy and high ABV beer, it is remarkably smooth and the alcohol flavor is almost non-existent.

Drinkability - This beer is obviously a sipper, but it is fantastic. Not real drinkable, but hey, it's an RIS. If you get a chance to try this and like gnarly beers, jump all over it. I can't thank Jonas enough for giving me the opportunity to try this.

Sounds tasty. I love the brandy snifter for big beers like and RIS or Barley Wine.

It's starting to chill off enough here to drink those kinds of beer.

Very nice man, sounds pretty damn good. I have only had one of these and I agree, it is different then you expect but really freakin good. Thanks for reviewing it for us!

Sounds tasty. I love the brandy snifter for big beers like and RIS or Barley Wine.

It's starting to chill off enough here to drink those kinds of beer.

I've found myself drinking big beers year round lately. I just can't get into most lighter beers, and I'm not a fan of really hoppy beers, so it kind of limits my choices in styles.

Very nice man, sounds pretty damn good. I have only had one of these and I agree, it is different then you expect but really freakin good. Thanks for reviewing it for us!

Have you heard anything about them re-releasing this? Their website said this December.

Have you heard anything about them re-releasing this? Their website said this December.

Yep it is planned to be bottled in December and hit shelves sometime Jan-Feb. It is part of their "Reserve" series and originally they only planned to release the 2006 batch and move on to another beer. Once it hit the market people went crazy over it and they decided to release it again in 07. Anyway, I would expect it to be a bit more expensive (2006 was $7/bottle) this year since they know people are nuts over it.

Yep it is planned to be bottled in December and hit shelves sometime Jan-Feb. It is part of their "Reserve" series and originally they only planned to release the 2006 batch and move on to another beer. Once it hit the market people went crazy over it and they decided to release it again in 07. Anyway, I would expect it to be a bit more expensive (2006 was $7/bottle) this year since they know people are nuts over it.

I hope we get some here.

I cracked a bottle of the '07 this weekend. (Thanks, Jonas!) My impressions were very similar. The finish was amazingly long. Roasted barley and coffee. I didn't get much wood flavor, but it was evident in the nose. Alcohol was well hidden. It's nice when something (like a beer or cigar) lives up to the hype!

I cracked a bottle of the '07 this weekend. (Thanks, Jonas!) My impressions were very similar. The finish was amazingly long. Roasted barley and coffee. I didn't get much wood flavor, but it was evident in the nose. Alcohol was well hidden. It's nice when something (like a beer or cigar) lives up to the hype!

I agree Pete, haven't broke into the '07 yet, but I'm glad to here that it is as good as the OR.

It is good to hear that this is being re-released, another beer to keep your eyes out for. :thumbs:

I agree Pete, haven't broke into the '07 yet, but I'm glad to here that it is as good as the OR.

So far I have had several from the 07 release and I have to say I think it is better then the OR, even fresh. This is good news for those who plan to drink it now or lay a few down for a while.