• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Illusione CG4

flamchop

65/65
I saw a few posts recently about these Illusiones so I thought I'd throw up a quick review. I've smoked a couple other vitolas but this is my first CG4 from Illusione.

Stats
"The White Horse"
Wrapper, binder, filler: Nicaragua
5 5/8 x 46

This particular smoke has been sitting in the humi for about 4 months, and according to another review these are generally aged 3 years before sent out. Right away what strikes me about all Illusione cigars is the craftsmanship. Flawless, fairly dark wrapper with a bit of tooth. I've never come across one with any imperfections. They also don a triple cap which is also one of the things I love about the Tatuaje smokes... it always makes for a clean cut. The cigar is light in the hand and torches with ease.

I got something different from this particular smoke than I got from previous Illusiones I've smoked (88 & 68), and that's a distinctive coffee smell immediately upon torching. It was on there for a few seconds but very distinct. I usually get a pepper/spice aroma when I torch almost any Nicaraguan but this struck me differently. Who knows.

During the first third that very unique Illusione flavor is present... and to this day I have trouble describing it fully. All I can say is that it's a sort of sweet flavor... with some spice like cinnamon... but not an overt sweet like a silly vanilla or something. I don't know what they do to these things but they all share this very distinctive trait. After a few minutes the semi-sweet flavor is accompanied with an almost buttery, leathery finish.

About the midway point the spice fades away and the trademark Illusione "sweetness" remains with a leathery note. The ash is a bright white.

At no point did this smoke become overtly bitter... but rounding third base the sweetness completely transformed to almost a tart. Now, a good 30 minutes after finishing the smoke the taste in my mouth is as if I ate a handful of sweet tarts... but not in a bad way! Very enjoyable.

Never a burn or boat problem throughout, stayed lit and burned even.

Overall I really like these smokes. However, something about that unique flavor makes me feel like I wouldn't want a box of these, but rather enjoy one from time to time as something different from the rest of the pack. I would absolutely recommend these to anybody who has been thinking about picking up a few singles or a sampler though. I think even though this is considered a medium to full smoke, those that prefer them on the milder side would still enjoy these. They won't floor you in the way that for instance an Oliva V can.

I give this guy 3.5 stars out of 5. Very good!

Sorry some of these pics didn't come out great, I'm still playing with the digi macro setting. Also they are out of order but it's late and I don't feel like re-Photoshopping them. But they give you an idea of the construction and burn.

Thank you for the great review!! I just picked up a 5er of these from a brother on Cigarweekly. I'm going to let them rest for awhile, and then try one out. They sound very interesting to say the least!

:thumbs:

How would you say they are in strength? compared to the 88.

Nice review!

I enjoyed an 88 recently that StinkiMonki included in our recent trade and I loved it. I loved it so much I've become frustrated finding any B&M's around Buffalo that have any Illusiones. I know I've seen the CG4 in the sampler packs from some of the online vendors so after reading this review my order will be going out today.

Excellent review! I enjoy the Illusione line, however I've had only one to date that didn't have an extremely loose draw. But, taking it slow still provided a great smoke!

nice review. wish i would have had the same experience, i chucked mine about 1/4 way in cause it was just nasty kinda char-y had no sweetness or spice just blah maybe they are just not my cup of tea

nice review. wish i would have had the same experience, i chucked mine about 1/4 way in cause it was just nasty kinda char-y had no sweetness or spice just blah maybe they are just not my cup of tea
Very nice review.

Yep, I agree, this Marca does not do much for me.

Brian