• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Padron Serie 1926 40th Anniversary Maduro

flamchop

65/65
This was my first experience with the 40th Anniversary. I've had my share of '64 and '26 smokes and love them but this is one of two of these 40th's I've had resting in the humidor for almost a year now. On Sunday evening I decided there's no better time than the present to smoke something I'd been saving. Maybe it was just any old Sunday, but sometimes any old Sunday is a great special occasion.

Specs:
Nicaraguan puro
Torpedo 6.0 x 54, box pressed

This is one beautiful cigar. The construction is impeccable. It's actually light in the hand for its size and smells like sweet coffee and leather after it's clipped. Even though these tend to be wrapped super tight, the pre-light draw was very easy, my worries of a plugged cigar quickly faded. The wrapper is a mouth watering dark chocolate brown. Some tooth is present and a considerable vein... but overall a great looking cigar that's a great example of the art of cigar rolling.

I paired this smoke with a Starbucks cold mocha frappucino and some tunes from my iPod playing through my portable Sonic Impact iPod speakers.

After toasting, I immediately got a sour peppery aroma. The first inch or so of this smoke really had me worried. The burn was great and even, but the flavors were all over the place. My heart sank as I thought everything from it being a bad egg to questioning my storage method... too dry? Too wet? Not enough cedar in the vinotemp? Ahhh! I got everything from pepper to spice to stale coffee.

As I continued to relax to the music and sip on my coffee beverage, I took slow measured puffs. I calmed down and so did the cigar. From about the 1 inch point onward to the nub I went through a series of complex flavors. Mostly the creamy coffee almost chocolately flavor I'm used to from the 1926 series, but also hints of leather and fruit. About the halfway point I realized this cigar was smoking as good as any other '26 I've smoked and I was thoroughly enjoying it. I sat on my front porch so long taking my time with this thing that darkness rolled in and I forgot to take the pics I wanted to take for this review! More than an hour and half later I nubbed the sucker as far as I could. I smoked it down further than any other cigar I've smoked. I was very satisfied!

My conclusion is that this was a fantastic and complex smoke. You have to be patient with it as it could start off like a wild bull in a rodeo, but relax and give it about 15 minutes and you'll be in for a treat.

I highly recommend this cigar to anyone. Is it worth stocking up on these @ $25.00 ea.? Probably not... but everyone should smoke at least one or two. I'm sure it won't be long before I grab that second one so I have something to compare it with while this first one is fresh in my mind!

Again sorry I didn't get the greatest pics!

Ahh this makes me want to smoke one again. Had one a couple months ago and loved it. Now I just have to find the one buried in my humi...

Now we know who drinks those canned faux cappuccino laden with sugar concoctions! :D

I don't know about the ones in the can but those ones in the bottles are SO GOOD!!!!

I don't know about the ones in the can but those ones in the bottles are SO GOOD!!!!

leatherman_jock.jpg

;)

Excellent review.

As for the mocha frappucino accompaniment, I just couldn't imagine doing that. Coffee for sure but that stuff would be much too sweet for me.

Don't mind Moki, every now and then he has to bring out his family album, must be celebratory time again, I guess :laugh:

Brian

Good review. I've never had one but if it's as good or better than a '26 I just might force myself past the price and try one out. It is a gorgeous looking smoke as are most Padrons.

Great review, makes me one to try one. I'll have to get my hands on one soon. Thanks
CHris

Great review. I also agree with you, @ $25 each, they aren't the best bargain for taste, however, they are definitely a great smoke that everyone should enjoy at least once or twice. I prefer the Naturals, only by default, because the Maduro's I've tried all had very tight draws, and the flavors were slightly muted.

Thanks for the review.

Thanks for the review.... :thumbs:

40ths and 80ths are pricey smokes, but when I want something special and don't want to "risk" it, I'll go for one of these beauties in a heartbeat.

Cheers - B.B.S.

Nice review!!! I have a 40th and a 80th resting and this makes me want to go fire it up.

I will be smoking one tonight while watching the Phillies take game 2!! Seems like a good night to burn a nice cigar down.

Excellent review.
As for the mocha frappucino accompaniment, I just couldn't imagine doing that. Coffee for sure but that stuff would be much too sweet for me.

Don't knock it unless you've tried it! It's only iced coffee with a little milk in it! If you put sugar in your coffee it's just as sweet as these bottled drinks. The only ingredients are coffee, sugar, milk, and if you get the mocha one there's a little chocolate aftertaste.... same as regular brewed coffee chilled down in the fridge.

The ones in the little CANS are different those are energy drink type of things... and are probably crazy sweet, I can't stand energy drinks.

IMO ice coffee is one of the most delicious beverages a man can have especially with a smoke!

Don't knock it unless you've tried it! It's only iced coffee with a little milk in it! If you put sugar in your coffee it's just as sweet as these bottled drinks. The only ingredients are coffee, sugar, milk, and if you get the mocha one there's a little chocolate aftertaste.... same as regular brewed coffee chilled down in the fridge.

The ones in the little CANS are different those are energy drink type of things... and are probably crazy sweet, I can't stand energy drinks.

IMO ice coffee is one of the most delicious beverages a man can have especially with a smoke!

I beg to differ... that Frappuccino the picture is pretty damned sweet to my tastes:

Ingredients:
brewed Starbucks Coffee (water, coffee),reduced fat milk, sugar, pectin, and cocoa, ascorbic acid

Nutrition Facts
Serving Size: 9.5 fl. oz. Servings per Container: 1 Amount per serving: Calories: 180 Fat Calories: 30 Total Fat: 3g Sat Fat: 2g Cholesterol: 12mg Sodium: 95mg Protein: 6g Total Carbohydrates: 33g Sugars: 31g Fiber: 0g Vitamin A 2%, Vitamin C 0%, Calcium 22%, Iron 0%

I'll stick with homemade real cappuccinos! :D

So how do the naturals compare with the maduro's? Got some naturals but wondering if it's worth it to pick up the maduro's... Thanks! :rolleyes: